Why do you want to stay sober?

Awesome post :grin:

I want to stay sober because,

I want my son to see his mom sober & happy; not a selfish destructive alcoholic mom, like my own.

Alocohol took me to some dark places in my life and I have seen the light by being & staying sober.

Also when I drank I was a horrible, mean to people who I loved and became a terrible human being. (I was straight up out of control) Even violent at times.

I straight up, want to stay sober because alcohol, turns me into a straight up monster and my entire family most are alcoholics and I have realized, I do not want to repeat the cycle at all.

Those are some of my reasons :hugs: im sure I have many more :joy::joy::joy: reasons.

7 Likes

Last time I went to a work function, I may or may not have done something or said something inappropriate. Iā€™ll never know bc I canā€™t remember the entire evening in front of the leadership team. The only thing I know is I overslept and missed the conference the next day. I have the opportunity to rewrite my own history tomorrow, my next work event, where Iā€™ll be 100% sober and will pass on the open bar. Hoping I can rebuild my reputation over time.

3 Likes

It really is. I think focusing on what Iā€™ve gained by quitting works better, for me, than thinking about what Iā€™m missing by not drinking.
Finding a group that knows what itā€™s like really makes it easier to remain sober. Thereā€™s always a perspective from someone else thatā€™s thinking about the same thing.

I want to be sober to:

• Stay healthy
  • Lose weight
  • Handle my feelings like an adult and learn from emotional situations instead of running to binge
  • Actually handle my social anxiety
  • Be more productive
  • Sleep better

And also

• Not die a slow death like my alcoholic Dad
  • Not die an fast, brutal death from preventable cancers like two other relatives
6 Likes

@LeilaBird yes, all of these reasons really resonate with me. Thanks for putting these into words for me when I couldnā€™t. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I want to stay sober because I donā€™t want to be dead. My mother died at 69 because she drank. Well technically I donā€™t know if it was directly because of her drinking or indirectlyā€¦she had diabetes and alcohol made that worse.

Either way I saw myself having some of the same physical issues she was having and I said ā€œFuck this, Iā€™m not going to die on my kids like she did on meā€.

3 Likes

I too, hate the person I became when I drank. I had my moments where Iā€™d black out often. I would become the meanest drunk. I treated my boyfriend and others horribly. I was always out of control, yet constantly under the impression I was in total control. My wake up call was when I totaled my new car and was arrested for a DUI. This will be a long process for me, but it was a wake-up call I so greatly needed. I always told myself I was good, it wouldnā€™t happen to me, but it did. I will get through this. I will become a better me. I will be able to get back on my feet. I will not drink. I will pay off my fines. I will complete my classes. And I will buy a new car with all the money saved from not drinking. I will live a better life. In the next few years I will love my life.

3 Likes

I am glad something was helpful to you. We are all so similar!

2 Likes

You got this! I also became a nasty mean out of control drunk when I was drinking. Ugh! Never again. Luckily I donā€™t own a car so I will never know what would have happened if I did. Scary stuff. Glad to see your positive attitude! We can all do this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want to stay sober because:

• when I drink I never know who Iā€™m going to become: a more talkative version of myself or a horrible monster. I canā€™t take the risk.
  • I become lazy and not productive. I need to work hard instead if I want my dreams to come true.
  • if I had to get my blood and liver tested today I would panic. I want to stop damaging my body.
  • my husband and my family are wonderful. They deserve the best version of me
4 Likes

I believe life is to beautiful to only want to view the bottom of the bottle. In the glimpses I have had sober the love I feel and see is far greater than any alcohol driven smile.

3 Likes

Because if I donā€™t stay sober Iā€™ll wind up dead.

1 Like

I am staying sober because I want to stop hurting myself, I want to stop scaring my daughter (sheā€™s 24 but worried as hell for me), and I want to finally realize my full potential. I have so much to live for and look forward to, I donā€™t want to miss it.

2 Likes

End blackouts & falls & hangovers
Model better behavior to children
Be a wife my husband can be proud of
Heal my body & mind
Be able to drive safely at any time

1 Like

I want to stay sober because I LOVE myself todayā€¦ LOVE is the answer. LOVE is all ya need. :heartbeat:

• I was a CRAZY tweaker. I was the one you saw out on the streets yelling about nonsense and gibberish.
  • drugs and alcohol stopped making me feel good and started making me sick
  • I just plain hate not being sober