Why do you want to stay sober?

I like to remind myself why I decided to stop using. It keeps me motivated especially when that itch comes around and tries to convince me that it’s not that bad, you can do it just once, you’ve got it under control (which is always a lie!).
I’m staying sober because I want to LIVE not just exist. Because I want my spouse to be proud of me. Because I’m tired of feeling sick all the time. Because it turns me into a person I don’t want to be anymore. Because I want to have a family one day and my future kids deserve a sober, happy parent. Because I DESERVE to be happy and healthy.

So why do you want to stay sober?

21 Likes

Why i want to stay sober

• I hate the person i become when i start to drink regularly
  • I dont want to waste my life in a drunken haze and not remember anything i do on vacations or special occasions
  • I want to prove to myself that i can actually do something right for once in my life, something that will enhance my quality of living ten times over
  • I never want to end up in detox again, hallucinating and feeling indescribable horrendous feelings and thoughts.
  • The only time i ever felt like i wanted to kill myself was my last day of drinking, when i thought i could never break the cycle and i honestly thought jumping in front of a train would be easier than trying to get sober again… I know theres more for me to do in this world before my time comes.
    Those are some of my reasons thus far.
18 Likes

Those are great reasons!! I feel like sometimes using is a cycle because you almost give up on even trying, I just think “oh well I’m a failure might as well keep doing it.” I want to prove that I can do it, I’m not a failure, I can achieve sobriety!! I might need help but who doesn’t?

4 Likes

yes using definitely is a vicious cycle! I felt the same way. I was going to just drink and drink and drink until i died but unfortunately, dying of alcoholism is usually a very slow and painful way to go and not instantaneous like some may make it seem like.

2 Likes

I just want to be hot again. :fire: :dancer: :fire:

15 Likes

Hi @Duckieht

• Because of the night my teenage daughter begged me to get help
  • For self-respect and the respect of my family
  • For my health and weight loss
  • For a chance to find a productive job again, and prove to myself I can contribute and be sober at it
  • To one day have some extra money and buy myself something without guilt
  • To make amends
  • To stop feeling sick and hungover
10 Likes

This is a perfect topic for me today:

• to be healthy, mind body and soul
  • to create a healthy vessel for a baby in the future
  • to get a grasp on my anxiety and depression in a healthy way
  • to find God again
  • enjoy special moments and remember them!
  • for my friends and family
  • to be able to focus on important things that I would normally ignore
  • be more productive
  • love fully
  • develop REAL friendships and relationships
11 Likes

Why I want to be and stay sober…

*to have clarity of mind, body, and spirit
*to fully be in the moments of my life
*to never feel hopeless and in the clutches of addiction again
*to follow through with personal goals
*to be a better daughter, wife, and stepmother
*to be a better version of myself
*to never wake up with remorse and a raging hangover
*to remember the night before without regret
*to have a good routine (sleep, work, play, nutrition)
*to enjoy the miracles and blessings given to me by God
*to look in the mirror and like who I see
*to help others
*to follow through on promises and obligations
*to feel peace and serenity
*to be happy more often than not
*to fully be there for myself, my family, and my friends
*to have a positive and grateful attitude

10 Likes

I love the positivity in these posts!! Remember why you struggle, why you fight for your sobriety! You can do this!! :raised_hands::star2::heart:

2 Likes

I love that: "to create a healthy vessel for a baby in the future"
My husband wants kids and I’ve been holding off because I want to give my kid the best, and that means making sure my body is healthy enough to grow a baby. Whatever I eat or drink or take feeds the baby in a negative or positive way. I’ve been planning for a year of sobriety–then I’ll try for a baby.

2 Likes

The best thing you can do for your family is stay sober. Every day, every hour, every minute you achieve that is a victory that deserves to be celebrated!! I have a lot of guilt from my addiction because it made me choose drugs over my husband. I know he’s hurt and it will take time to repair that hurt, but I’ve gotta keep going. Important thing is, don’t let that guilt bring you down.

4 Likes

You can do it I’ve found out just changing my daily routine helps out listen to radio instead of TV keeping busy at all times even driving home in a different route. It sounds crazy but it works for me

2 Likes

To raise my son with a better role model. And to actually live life and not live for the next bottle. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I just want to live life to the fullest and not become another statistic…

7 Likes

I want to stay sober so I can be happy! I hated the feeling of not being in control when I was drinking, you know? My choices revolved around alcohol, not my wellbeing, and everything in my life suffered because of my addiction.

Sober, I am present and my choices reflect my mindfulness. My kids are happier, my husband is happier, I am more organized and content, I got an awesome business opportunity because I worked hard (and stayed sober), and I can see good things on my future. I am so much better off not drinking!

10 Likes

I want to stay sober because I am so tired of going through life hungover and depressed, waisting beautiful days lying on my couch recovering, staying stupid stuff, worried about ruining my life all the time…Oh the list is endless.

11 Likes

You hit many of the same reasons I want to say sober… I truly just exist and want to live.
I’m trying to find my way

1 Like

Love this topic!Was just thinking about posting something similar.
Ultimately I want to stay sober because I can’t think of any way that my life was positively affected by drinking. I mean aside from a few adult relations, for lack of a better term and fear of offending, where my fat ass grossly out kicked my coverage.
But in what’s soon to be 2 months, I like myself better, I feel healthier, I’m getting done what I want and needed to get done. All of my relationships have improved. I have support that I want to make proud. I have a forum full of strangers that I’ve tried to help here and even though though I don’t really know any of you, I don’t want to let any of you down. I want to be able to help the next person that wants to change.
All of those are only doable if I’m sober.

7 Likes

@Graham_Hoffman this forum is really helping me too! It’s nice to know I’m not alone in my struggles and that there are people going through the same thing I am.

3 Likes

Bc I want to continue to honor myself with honesty - every day I stand strong in sobriety is a day I can look myself in the mirror and smile.

5 Likes