Why i am so angry?

So, im 26 days sober which im proud of…but…the last few days all i cant seem to feel is anger…im now looking back at how much ive struggled these past 5 years as my drinking got progressively worse and im angry at the people who should have been there for me that werent or didnt understand or didnt take me seriously when i tried to reach out for help…i have alot of support but i also have people close to me that have basically washed their hands of me mainly family or just didnt bother themselves to even try to help…can someone help me to try and get through this horrible feeling :pleading_face:

10 Likes

Those feelings are normal in the beginning of recovery. Our state of mind still has to find it’s way without our drink/drugs and that takes a while. It has to find a new balance.
Congratulations with the 26 days sober, that’s great! :tada:

5 Likes

Thank you for telling me this is normal because i feel like im going a little crazy…its hit me like a sledge hammer…feels like really strong anger…like i could actually scream…what helped you to get past it?

2 Likes

Emotions will run their natural course. What you can do is acknowledge the feelings, listen to what they want to tell you, and move on with care for yourself and attention to how you feel, but try and not let yourself be consumed by your feelings. Which will sometimes happen though, and that’s also ok. Humans are emotions creatures.
Ride the wave. Calmer waters will surely come again.

Congrats on your sober days.

3 Likes

Congratulations !!!
It’s really normal but I Hope you won’t be angry toi much. It’s energy that you are losing. Focus on yourself. And if you want to Say Things Ask yourself what would change ? I think It’s really difficult for us for our family and Friends. I think m’y Friends don’t take it seriously, they don’t see how important it IS…but I don’t mind. I don’t owe them this I owe this to me. And I found help in AA meetings I felt understood for the first Time.
Sending you love :heart:

2 Likes

Hey there, congrats on your sobriety…26 days is a huge accomplishment💛. I know very much how you feel. As someone who cares for other people, I remember being hurt that no one stepped in when I was in early sobriety.

As the fog of active addiction lifted and I sat with my feelings though, I recognized that the person I was really mad at was me.

When I began to look at my actions over the last many years, I saw my selfishness and my preoccupation with where others were falling short…and instead saw where I was falling short.

I came to realize that, just like me, every other person in the world is scrambling to keep their head above water. They have their own problems, both small and large, and expecting them to solve mine was unfair.

Luckily though, as my sobriety continued and I began to get my ish together… I began not only being able to help myself, but to be to service of others as well. Roughly 5 years of sobriety away from active addiction, my mind and daily actions lean more towards the questions of “how can I help this person today?” or “where can I be of service?” Rather than “why aren’t you helping me?”.

I think that the feelings that your having are natural…keep riding them out and letting your anger out (have you tried screaming as loud as you can into a pillow? It’s delightful!).

What’s important now is keeping sobriety as the focus, and letting your body, mind and heart continue the detox of active addiction. Sending love today :yellow_heart:.

2 Likes

This is so true and such a great perspective you have on the situation. It usually takes time before people realize really what’s going on and a lot of times for us there may have been multiple attempts in the past to try to better ourselves or try to be sober and they may see it as another fad or it may even make them feel uncomfortable but it’s all okay.

Ultimately we don’t do what we think other people feel like we should do or anything like that but instead we need to just do what we feel is the right thing for our development and just let everything else…be.

4 Likes

Honestly if you were anything like me, they had no idea how to confront you, let alone try to help you. Nobody got you like you got you. Holding other people accountable for your poor decisions will only leave a wound thats unable to heal. Forgive them, for yourself, so you can move on.

6 Likes

Congratulations on 26 days. That’s fantastic!!

In my experience, one of the reasons why I drank (my doc) was to push down a lot of my feelings. Anger was probably the most avoided emotion because I never wanted to be the cause of conflict. I would NEVER say “hey, what you said/did made me angry because…” so I just drank until I no longer was angry….or cared. But once I stopped drinking I had to face those emotions….and not just the new emotions as they happened but also all those old emotions that I had thought I drank away came right back. And there I was finding myself angry or sad out of the blue for no good reason.

My suggestion is to recognize those feelings when they happen, sit with them, and FEEL them. DO NOT try to avoid them because that will only tempt to use whatever it was you used to do to avoid them……and suddenly your sobriety is at risk.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

This sounds a lot like me during my first attempt at sobriety. I had these expectations that everyone should drop everything to help/support/forgive me. When absolutely no one met my unrealistic expectations I got resentful just like you are now. Once that resentment hit max capacity I went back to my favorite coping mechanisms. Drugs and alcohol.

For while it was really easy to blame everyone else. What I learned later on was that my expectations were just a continuation of my selfish alcoholic behavior. I wanted everyone to do exactly as I wanted. What I failed to remember was that the same people I demanded help from were the same people I tortured for years with my alcoholic behavior. They owed me absolutely nothing. The reality was that I actually owed them a lot. To ask more from them was selfish and self serving and completely unfair to them.

My sobriety is solely my responsibility. I found more than enough support in the rooms of AA. Having been there for a little bit of time I have learned that one of the main tenants of AA is helping the newcomer because someone from AA was there to help them when they were new.

5 Likes

Its my mother again thats making me angry…i was angry with her before i was alcoholic but it got worse once i had my daughter 5 years ago that i realised just how angry i am with her…she allowed my step father to treat me horribly as a kid and the day i looked at my beautiful precious daughter and the love i have for her my anger toward my mother grew tenfold, i accept that my sobriety is my own responsibility and im doing it…my problem is my mother is still draggjng me down…she wont stop having digs about my drinking even tho im sober now and its getting me down…she walks in my house wenever she wants and i literary feel my mood shift to low soon as shes here, i get that i have to leave the past behind but how can i do that when how she is with me and how she makes me feel is still very much in the present? I dont know how to stop caring about what she says to me because it hurts…how do i stop it hurting? How do i forgive her?

Therapy, AA, sponsor, steps. It’s work, it’s hard, it’s emotional, it’s worth it.

5 Likes

You have to channel that anger into something positive. What I do is keep myself busy. I clean up the house really good, do some work on the hoopdy, organize things, etc.
Also, when you start becoming angry, recognize that you’re in a state of anger and pull yourself back and keep your mouth shut. Step away from whatever situation you’re in and make a concerted effort to calm yourself and rationalize why you angry.

Ask yourself these questions:
1.) Why am I angry?
2.) Is it worth it?

9 times out of 10 it isn’t worth it. This, amigo is called Mindfulness. You can apply this sort of thinking in every aspect of your life. For now, focus on that anger because that’s affecting you the most.

1 Like

The stigma towards addiction and mental health has a lot to do with this as does the fact that the average person probably doesn’t know how to really support another person struggling with addiction. People in general will just feel uncomfortable, threatened or run away from the situation…It’s not worth being angry at others for their alleged sin of omission.

1 Like

How do I forgive her?

I will say that with my mother I took some time to reflect on what might be hurting her. Hurt people hurt people.

That doesn’t mean you just forget about the past hurts and let the hurt continue, it just means you might find some understanding.

But I suppose I was “lucky” because I came to this realization after she had passed away so I never had to DO anything about it. All I had to do was come to an understanding. Sadly, I’m glad she’s passes because I know I don’t have to deal with her anymore, but at least I don’t hate her anymore.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone, its been a bad day but at least ive still not had a drink and dont even want to, i wish i didnt feel like this toward my mother…i do love her and i knoww she loves me its her way of going about things with me just gets me soooo mad…shes one of those people for whatever reason if shes worried or upset it comes out as anger…il be upset about something she gets angry with me…its weird! Im a very sensitive person who wears her heart on her sleeve …my mother has always told me that im soft, stupid, ridiculous whenever i show emotion to thing’s

3 Likes