Why is it so hard to start?

Dumb question right? Living in active addiction is hard too they say but yet everything inside of me screams in horror. That living life without addiction will be equivalent to running a marathon a day with your feet tied. So, everyone is telling me to find other hobbies or things to stay busy but I can only sit and doom scroll and wait for time to tick. What was the thing you used to help the most? What did you change in your routine?

11 Likes

For me quitting drinking was just something that I did one day and I just went on. I decided I no longer wanted to drink and I didn’t. My friends were constantly telling me that I couldn’t have a good time if I didn’t drink there was no reason for me to go out with them if I didn’t drink and also always trying to get me to drink. It didn’t take me much time to be away from it to totally lose my interest in it, which was fortunate. Because I thought I could not live a day without a drink, lots of drinks.
It was a very long time ago.

On the other hand, quitting smoking for me was very difficult. I was convinced I would not be able to live if I wasn’t smoking and that I was totally incapable of stopping, but I wanted to stop and I decided to stop.
What helped me was joining a forum where I was able to see that other people were able to stop and go on with their lives, that it was doable, that I was not going to die from quitting . I was not going to die from not smoking, I was able to see that there were others who had gone before me and been successful, that gave me some idea that I would be able to do it.

In that instance what I did was chew a lot of gum. Two and three pieces at a time for a very long time.

I think a lot of times with addiction when you get on the other side of it, you’re able to see the benefit and appreciate the benefit of not partaking in your drug drink or behavior of choice. Then you see the payoff and you like everything better without your substance or behavior of choice.

There are always pitfalls that try to lure you back in.
That’s where the benefit of a community comes in, whether it’s online, or in person, it gives you a place to be accountable and get support.

Nothing dumb about your question.

10 Likes

When I got sober I went to AA. A lot. Not only did it help pass the time but it also gave me all the tools to stay sober. I also created a social network that provided me with a lot things to do with friends.

Sobriety does not come to those who just sit around and wait for it. Sobriety is achieved by those who go out and get it it.

16 Likes

The last time i stopped i changed near enough everything, my job,i stopped seeing certain friends,changed all my shopping habits,daily habits,changed certain routes i took in my car,everything i was doing was just throwing triggers at me all the time,so i had to change it,i kept myself as busy as possible,i threw myself into my work which helped alot and after a few months i got into health and fitness which would definitely help you
This isnt a quick fix,you really need to work at it but it really does get easier after a while.
Keep changing things once you feel yiur getting bored.
I see it as psychological warfare with yourself!

11 Likes

No dumb question :people_hugging: It is hard because not drinking/using/whatever is not the really hard thing. It is the INSTEAD. You don’t use. So what do you do with your time, body, mind, emotions?
It’s ok to watch the clock ticking if it keeps you sober.
What helps me tremendously with everything is: focus on myself.

I need to heal? Read read read, if needed a dr. appointment, get my ass moving and do what is necessary. Not thinking too much, doing. Cooking healthy, trying new recipies, go for a 10 min. walk or more, fetch supplements from the pharmacy and ask them for more information. Sleep. a lot. meditate. I love Insight Timer.

I’m in a funk and my thoughts are running with scissors? DO something ordinary very carefully. Dusting, organizing a room, catching up on household stuff, my favourite: deep cleaning the toilet. Bathroom neat and tidy, brain / emotional upset shut up.

I like to pick up what’s already there, waiting for me to tackle it. I’m not an everything new person, I like to get my life on order by steady little babysteps.
Start with babysteps every minitask done counts. Eventually you will see how fast babysteps and minitasks add up. It is perfectly ok to just be. As long as you don’t confuse just being with staying where you are. Working on a better life has so many faces and facets, be kind to yourself. Sending you encouraging hugs :people_hugging::sunflower:

9 Likes

For me going to meetings making new sober friends made it easier for me to stay sober ,also gym and change of diet helped wish you well

8 Likes

Doom scrolling here is a great way to pass the time. It can also help you find some ideas of things that can help, and you can make some really great friends along the way!
We’re happy you’re here Bella! Hope to see you around the forum :people_hugging::heart:

4 Likes

Your question is not dumb. It’s actually a very strong commitment that you wanna change and stop drinking and that’s awesome! I’ve been sober for only 8 days, but walking a lot, running, sleeping, reading, watching movies/series have helped to focus on something else than booze and weed. It’s not easy and that’s why a community is so important either in face to face or online. You got this, stay strong!

5 Likes

First and foremost…your question is not dumb. I am fortunate enough to live between 2 mountains and I live next to The Columbia River, so hiking is what I started to do after I quit. I lost alot of friends because they wanted to go out bar hopping and I didn’t, I’ll admit that I miss playing pool, but I am looking for other places to play other than the bar. If they are truly your friend then they wouldn’t ask you to go but support you in your decision. I did A.A. meetings twice a week for the first year of sobriety, I met new friends who were on the same journey as I. I focused on my yard and house, making new flower beds, painted my bathroom. I also started teaching myself how to bead, tan hides. Do you have any interesting hobbies? I found that when I got thirsty and wanted to drink, I would make myself do something like helping my neighbors or taking a hike, as you go along in your sobriety you will find what works for you. Remember that we’re here for you :sparkles:

4 Likes

First thing I changed was my attitude, I had to admit I had a problem and ask for help. Then do absolutely anything to stay sober. If I had to run a marathon everyday with my feet tied together then so be it but at least I had someone beside me holding me up.

5 Likes

Ive just hit 30 days alcohol free - the longest since i was pregnant 9 years ago. Ive tried many many times to moderate - cut back, felt better, thought i could do it, gradually fell back into the old pattern, felt terrible, tried to moderate, felt better, fell back into the old pattern. Rinse. Repeat.

For some reason, this last time has stuck so far (early days i know) Ive been listening to a lot of podcasts about quitting, sober coaches etc. I listen on the way to and from work which really helped my stay focussed.

What they all say is to fill that space with other things - better stuff and treats. Im still working on this but it makes sense to me this time around. Instead of feeling like im misding something im trying to add something back.

Just started doing online watercolour tutorials and im loving reading at night instead of just passing out. My house is tidier - which is weird but i guess i have more productive time.

I know after 30 days im not qualified to comment on the longer haul but thats whats got me this far this time…

Also scrolling the stories on here - highs, lows and inspirational people.

4 Likes

I walked…loads! :blush:
Also binged Netflix, cleaned my house, gardening, but most of all that walking.
Being in nature eases the stress and helped me with my mood a bit as well. When I was too much in my head ore not motivated I listened to a sobriaty podcast as “recovery elevator” for example.
Walking is still a part of my recovery, but because of my new hobby crossfit I walk less because I’m out of time :face_with_peeking_eye:
Ps almost 6 years sober

6 Likes