Why it is so hard for me to drink alcohol responsibly?

Deep in our hearts we all know this, if you think logically all of above things you mentioned are so true about alcohol its a common sense but again common sense is not so common these days :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This thread is really helpful, thanks @SassyRocks :blush:

2 Likes

Everyone has explained things so well through these posts and Iā€™m a little bit late chiming in but wanted you to know that thereā€™s another one just like youā€¦ And thatā€™s me.
Oh Iā€™ve tried and tried to just" control" my drinking.
It doesnā€™t work. It never will. If I start to think too far ahead yeah it freaks me out thinking I can never enjoy a cocktail with my girlfriends or a rum and eggnog at Christmas, but I canā€™t. So I donā€™t worry about the future, I worry about today and then Iā€™m okay.
If I have one it leads to so many moreā€¦ and so much lying and hiding and sneaking. I donā€™t even know who that person is! I donā€™t want to be that person.
I donā€™t blame myself though. Iā€™m am alchoholic. I believe it has to do with brain chemistry and genetics coupled with stressors in my life and a gradual build into becoming absolutely dependent on alcohol.
I like who I am better without alcohol. Finally admitting that Iā€™m in alcoholic has set me free from blaming myself. In the moments that I think about craving a drink I remind myself that those good feelings brought on by alcohol last for only a fleeting moment before it turns into feeling of remorse and anxiety which lasts for days and years. Alternately, those hard feelings when Iā€™m trying to beat a craving only lasts for a fleeting moment before it turns into a feeling of flying on top of the world because Iā€™m in control of my life and alcohol doesnā€™t control me.

6 Likes

From what Iā€™ve learned. We all have 1 thing in common. A phenomenon of craving. Once we start. We cannot stop. Thatā€™s what separates us from regular people. Not only are our bodies abnormal. So are our minds. We cannot ingest any alcohol safely. Because of the allergy and phenomenon of craving.

3 Likes

While going through your words it felt like i am speaking to myself, cause every single thing you pointed out is so true and so related to me, Next time i have a craving i do remind myself of this

Thanks for these words, i wish you a very happy and healthy life :blush:

1 Like

You are describing the phenomenon of craving, not necessarily the craving to start drinking, but the craving that comes when we begin drinking. There is an excellent writing on it in the book ā€˜Alcoholics Anonymousā€™, excerpted here: https://aa-netherlands.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/en_bigbook_foreworddoctorsopinion.pdf

3 Likes

Interesting Book , i need to get my hands on this one, Thanks for suggesting :raised_hands:

You can read it online at https://www.aa.org/the-big-boo.

1 Like

:ok_hand: :blush:
Thanks

None, alcohol is a big mistake which is glorified by our societies, social platform and movies,

3 Likes

This sentence totally defines the way i have behaved most of the times after relapse, breaking this chain this time with help of all great friendā€™s i made here :blush:

1 Like

Sadly, no. Let experience be your answer.

If I look back, I was never a ā€œnormalā€ drinker. I drank to get drunk, and wouldnā€™t stop until I achieved my goal.

ā€œA couple of drinksā€ to me meant 4-6, easy.

3 Likes

Totally agree, we all learn from our experience, in case of alcohol our memories of past experience is a bit short lived despite of every hangover and self pity we forget that alcohol is not what it seems to be branded and glorified its a quiet opposite substance which destroys not only your body but your soul

Deep Indeed :thinking:

I used to have to drink until there was not one drop of alcohol left in my house. There was times i would take everything out of my fridge just to see if my wife was trying to hide some from me. And id do that 2-3 times a night sometimes. Id also walk around drinking what was left in other peoples cans/bottles. We will never be able to drink like the ā€œnormalā€ drinker. I, to this day, still wish i can just have a drink or two, but i snap back to reality and know i canā€™t.

6 Likes

Realisation is the most important step of being free my dear friend and we have accepted this fact that we are not 2-3 drinks type, so we have decided not to take at all ā€¦and guess what now we are even better then those with 2-3 drinks so keep up the good work :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Until that glorious moment when we surrender and accept that we can never drink again.

Alcohol means struggle. I struggled with Life when I drank, and I struggled against my self in early sobriety. I donā€™t struggle with anything now.

I wonā€™t drink, because I donā€™t drink. I am a non-drinker.

6 Likes

Best ONE :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

I want to thank all of you from bottom of my heart for giving me direction, motivation and courage in this beautiful journey of sobriety.
Also I have deducted a successful answer for my question - i have accepted the fact that i am an alcoholic for me because of my mental structure its not possible to have a normal drinking life and i am not ashamed of this fact now because i have found a lot of friends in this group who are like me.

I will change my identity, i will become non drinker and i will help as much people as i can to achieve the same, Love you all :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Iā€™m a binge drinking. I have no drinks for a couple days then if I start, I just keep going and donā€™t know when to stop. I know I have a problem and today had a good discussion with me spouse about it. Iā€™m going to stop all together because I know I canā€™t have just one drink like a normal person. So today I have made up my mind to stop for good. Iā€™m also going to go to a meeting for support. I think deep down inside we know if we have a problem. We just have to take that first step to recognize it and want to do something about it. We are not normal people. We have an addiction and the sooner we recognize it the better off we will be.

5 Likes