Why it (seems to be) Different This Time

I’m a daily, sometimes hourly, reader. I don’t often share too much, and my reason is kind of lame. I mostly read the posts on my phone, and to write a long post is just a PAIN in the ARSE for me. I can type rapid fire on my laptop, which happens to be a work laptop. So, there is a dilemma.

But, today I am inspired to share just a bit. Long story short - this is not my first rodeo with trying to beat my drinking problem. That is, STOP and STOP for good. I actually had close to 18 years when I was much younger (61 now). Had two years once, too. This time I am working towards 4 months. And for some reason, or maybe a few reasons, it is just going well this time. Why?

1- This forum and app, available 24/7. With phone in hand, there is always support available. There is always a sympathetic ear to listen. A story to make me NOT want to relapse. A reminder as to why sobriety is just GREAT.
2- I am 61. My body doesn’t react to alcohol the way it did when I was in my 20s. Alcoholism is progressive, that I know. Even if I don’t drink, my body will react as if I had should I relapse. I value my health, and quite honestly I am SCARED of what alcohol will do to me.
3- I am in amazing health! Even went for my annual physical today and got a clean bill of health. Cholesterol was a bit high, but not even that bad. MUST lay off the peanut M&Ms. Said me, not my doctor. I think she thought I was fretting a bit too much. Me? Fret and worry? No way (insert sarcasm emoji here).
4- I love to exercise (most days) and being hungover is not compatible with that. Actually, as I write this I am dressed and ready to hit a 6:00 class.
5- I value my family, relationship, friends, and job. Drinking will wreck all that.
6- By some divine intervention, I just don’t feel like drinking today. And my hope for myself (and you!) is that I don’t feel like it tomorrow. SO much easier when the imp leaves me alone.
7- I really don’t want to have to reset my counter.
8- You. You TS peeps. I’ve never met any of you in person, but you are real to me. You have helped me every single day since I joined in November 2020. A few hiccups since I joined, but July 4th (US Independence Day!) will be 4 months. Notice I said WILL be. It isn’t a hope and dream, it is a promise I am making to myself.

I know there are more reasons. Maybe I will add to my list.

Off to sweat!! Thanks for reading . . .

38 Likes

You’re ace!

Keep charging forward, getting younger as you get older.
:+1:

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for the inspiring post!

1 Like

Proud of you!! This is the kind of example I look for! I made a lot of laughs reading your post, I like your personality, keep strong because you don’t need to do anything that can destroy your health for some fast-satisfaction (that if you think about it, it will be an illusional comfort, and the day after is always there for carry guiltyness:)
Thank you for your sharing🌷

1 Like

Great post, thanks for sharing :blush::+1:

1 Like

It has been great following your journey and seeing you shine!! I get all of that! After 40+ years of drinking, I knew exactly what that life offered, plus, it is AMAZING to feel so great at our age…and man, hangovers suck at 60…big time. So very very happy and inspired by you!!!

2 Likes

One time, it will be for good. Those all sound like great reasons! Glad to share ur reasons with u.

1 Like

Something you said,

You had 18 years at one point and fell out, it reminds me we are never cured, I have to remind myself Of that all the time, the idea of moderation will only lead to full blown alcoholism and drug addiction again and again

Thank you for that

4 Likes

Love this post! Hope for more of them in the future! :slight_smile: So inspiring!!

what a lovely positive post, this is what sobriety is all about. :+1:

1 Like

[quote=“Fury, post:9, topic:121150”] we are never cured
[/quote]

I knew that, too. At a very deep level. I let someone who hadn’t seen me at my worst years earlier influence me. Boy, they lived to regret opening Pandora’s Jug 'o Vino. So did I. Rear view mirror. What I know about alcohol, relapse, and myself is critical to my continued sobriety.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone!! If I could help one person, inspire someone, or bring a smile to someone’s face, it was worth posting. Your replies to my post did those things for me. You guys are, on many occasions, my reason. We really are in this together.

3 Likes

Wonderful read! You are inspirational!

1 Like

I must have missed this when you first posted it! You are awesome and you’re absolutely killin’ it.

Thank you so much for sharing, that was all so motivating. My sobriety means the world to me for basically all of the exact same reasons. I am reminded many times a day why sobriety is the best, and only way for me to live now….and you highlighted so many of those things.

Keep up all the hard work and thanks for being here on the journey with us :heart:

4 Likes

Yes!! I agree 100%!!

1 Like

There’s not much more to say than thank you, M. I have a soft spot for doubters, for strugglers, for those who question and still work hard at sobriety. You inspire me.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing on your teeny tiny phone, we appreciate it! :grin:

Definitely rooting for you! Have a great day!

2 Likes

I love this post!! :heart:

This is so great and helpful. Thank you for sharing. And great job!

1 Like

Well done young lady keep up the good work and exercise im a old age pensioner still go out and look after local hotel gardener there and my sons have a gym in garage which i part take some times lol wish you well

1 Like