Why "no-topless-pics" matters

Thank you.
I have received these before mentioned responses both as defensive arguments and as helpful advice. I’m aware that someone might recognise themselves behind these comments and again, I only want to raise awareness and generate discussion on general level. But as @Fargesia_murielae said, it’s still a double standard no matter what the intent.

Disclaimer: If I would have anything against anyone on a personal level, I would sort it out privately. I do no my best not to practice passive-aggressive shit.

6 Likes

Tinder is completing different- that’s dating

They were talking about transformation pictures and changing bodies- which I totally get their point :grinning:

5 Likes

Wow im shocked that you feel a sex addict should have to be warned because you want to show growth and process because you came off the booze.

Addictions have to be cared for… Being subjected to so many images reduces my joy.

We want to recover…
Again no concept of a behavioral addiction and understanding…
I didnt CHOOSE to be an addict.

Please tell me why should i see an image, constant sexual talk to be then in my head craving sex

10 Likes

As @siand said, you can have a separate thread for that. And yes, please give the title a trigger warning so I can stay off it.

I get your point about healthy self image and promoting that. However, if such images trigger and possible cause someone to leave the forum, would that still be promoting sobriety? If I’d leave bc of it, it’s my choice yes and no one else’s but I think it’s sad that some people hold on to their rights to post half naked on other addicts’ expense.

So, have a separate thread.

5 Likes

Yes in society here on a sobriety app really how is that complicated?

As I am the only one who said something similar, I think you imply me, if not, ignore all that I’m about to say.
If you mean me, than that’s not what I said. I said working out changes a body. I’ve done drugs once in my life, been drunk/tipsy maybe 4 times in my life. I do not doubt that abstinance from booze has a similar effect on the body though.

1 Like

My point was, better stated…yes we have a right…but my rights should not interfere with someone else. Sure I can show nipples, but I am going to be an adult and keep my shirt on…

7 Likes

Yes, I got you. I wanted to give a general, agreeing, response to few of you whose posts were circling around similar things IMO. I see now that it maybe misunderstood.
@anon89207786 @Fargesia_murielae

3 Likes

I ask you this question

Should i buy a scratch card to celebrate being 9 months sober of drugs and 5 months of s/a and post it.

Because i have no issue in this area??

I can see a difference of a person in the right attire from being on and off drugs.

5 Likes

The reason for this whole conversation, simply put is this:

There is a guideline about no nipples, no topless now (this was added not long ago, before it was only a ban of genitalia). Eventho it’s a guideline that is enforced, many forum users don’t understand why. That’s what we’re here to elaborate, to raise awareness among addicts whose doc is not sex related.

5 Likes

Thanks @Olivia for this thread. I do believe that sex and love addiction has been one of my addictions in the past (now?). I shoved it down pretty far.

That said pics by both men and women, nipples and come-hither-type, trigger me a great deal. It throws me back into a time where I didn’t feel like I had autonomy over my body and that I was only worth one thing. I am so glad there wasn’t an Internet when I was in the throes of that stage.

Compassion is sorely lacking in most societies and it’s commonly lacked on this forum. It’s defined in many different ways. The bottom line is people refuse to crawl into other people’s shoes, instead preferring to justify why they deserve to negate someone else’s concerns and feelings. This is where the “scroll on bys” and “don’t be so sensitives” come from. I have a lifetime of “Hey, baby. Don’t be so uptight.”

If anyone feels the need to show progress, you can do it without taking off your shirt. Women do it all the time. If you need to show off more - start your own transformation forum (not thread). I have no interest in “Trigger Warning for nudity” threads.

This topic is about more than nipples. It’s about an overall disregard for someone’s addiction and sensitivities. Just because one doesn’t understand it, doesn’t make it less necessary to be compassionate about it.

7 Likes

what’s “come-hitler-type”?

Nevermind, I misread it lol. What’s “come-hither-type” though?

4 Likes

Example active addiction

Recovering

12 Likes

damn, that’s massive improvement Danni :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for this topic. I appreciate the knowledge As an alcoholic, I never really saw this type of side of view. I wear a lot of tank tops and I’m sorry if any of my selfies have triggered anyone. I honestly didn’t think that through. And I know this post is in general but I hope I haven’t contributed to any hardship.

4 Likes

I must say that it makes me very happy that we’ve been able to keep this discussion civil, compliments to all of us :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you for your point, I think I get you. I’ll say the following not as direct reply to you but as an elaboration on the topic.

Generally speaking, rules are needed but rules alone are not enough. We also need understanding and compassion towards those with different addictions to ours and discussion on how/where to apply rules. Not all need to agree but all should understand why we’re doing things like this.

Philosophically, imperfect people can’t create perfect systems. I’m not after that. I would just like to have a safe place where to recover with enough people to understand some basics about my doc and where I’m not met with patronising attitude when I admit my weakness regarding my triggers.

12 Likes

Yes! I am not one to blindly follow rules. I appreciate understanding the thought process behind it.

4 Likes

@anon27760155 very well said. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you for this post!

2 Likes

Thank you for your post, apology and humble attitude. I appreciate this. All is good as far as I’m concerned. Please stay tuned and read.

1 Like