Why was this time different? "THE ROCK BOTTOM"

With alcoholic family members that are still in addiction but are trying to kick the habit without AA, I am almost certain that they will relapse. I will be 8 months Sober tomorrow, and though I truly wish I could be excited that they are trying to quit even for a short period of time, I’m aware that it’s bloody tough to do alone.

It made me think why have I managed to go this long compared to the times when I’ve tried to quit on my own? Why was I successful this time compared to all other times?

For me it amounted to two things:

• I realized that if I don’t quit, my life would be miserable and lonely or quite simply I would die (probably suicide). It’s not as if my situation was so horrible that the only way was up (I had a home, food, work, friends etc.) But my world inside felt like it had been at war with itself for years, and I knew that it would take just one more drinking spree for me to pop pills and die. After yet another blackout night and almost loosing my relationship, I was lucky enough that my BF had recorded my drunk trade against all the people he cared about. I was so mean and so cruel and the thought of hurting him like that made me sick to my stomach. Now, 8 months later, I occasionally listen to that recording to remind myself of the hell that I would be stepping into if I picked up my first drink.
  • I’m not doing it alone. In previous times I relied entirely on self-will and would isolate myself to battle with inner demons. It felt as if no one could understand what it felt like to keep reaching for the bottle even though I knew where it would lead. I felt that no one could understand the feeling of having a void that I constantly had to fill. That is until I went to my first AA meeting. Being surrounded by people that knew exactly what I was going through and had continued to free themselves of the burden of alcoholism would give me a sense of camaraderie that I had never felt before. Because I forced myself to go to meetings as often as possible initially, every day I would have a reminder to stay vigilant of the inevitable cravings and self-sabotaging thoughts.

Now my father will use my vaping as a sort of leverage to say “well, I might be drinking, but you still vape!” As if my vaping ever made me hit another person, destroy my social life or abuse my family. Though I shouldn’t let it get under my skin, it does. But it will never push me to pick up a drink. I have far too much to loose.

9 Likes

Everyone’s path is different. Maybe they kick it without AA, maybe they don’t. 1 thing I know for sure is that it cannot be done alone. There are plenty of members here who have had success with AA and plenty of members here who have been successful without it. Regardless you can only really worry about your sobriety, congratulations on 8 months! What are you vaping out of curiosity? Best wishes to you on your journey :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi Dan! Hope I didn’t make it sound as if AA was the only solution :grimacing: But yes, I do think that trying to do it alone is almost guaranteed to fail.
I have been vaping since 16. Mostly tobacco/caramel mixes. I quit for 3 months during the summer, but then I had to move apartments and I realized trying to juggle battling two addictions at the same time was too much, so I started up again. But I think I’m going to try again soon :thinking:

1 Like

Ah yes good old nicotine. Well that’s not in the same ballpark as alcohol so I’m not sure why your dad would use that against you other than deflecting. You’ll kick it when the time is right. 1 year of sobriety is often suggested as a marker for kicking another bad habit. Best of luck to you. Keep on living ODAAT :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Dan! I saw on another post your sober time REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU! :blush:

1 Like

Thank youuuuu

1 Like

Doing ok buddy and yes AA does work if you want it and today there are plenty of other programs available prob borrowed from AA lol your journey just begining and im sure you will enjoy the fellowship like i did decades ago now but still enthusiastic as i was at my first meeting , i stopped cigs a year sober in those days it was smokey joes no non smoking meetings at that time just had to wear a gas mask for those alkies liked there fags lol wish you well

1 Like

Congratulations with your sober stretch, well done! :facepunch:
And yes we all need people around us who “gets it”. For you that’s AA and for me that’s this app and the people in it :sunglasses:
I come here for support, venting, ask for help, sharing my milestones, etc.
TS is my peergroup and we all need one.
We have to do it but we can’t do it alone :wink:

Keep going, you are doing great!! :confetti_ball:

1 Like