Withdrawals😭

Hello everyone. Day 2 i did have a mishap. But Im back. Feeling horrible to say the least, having chills, sweats, agitation, loss of appetite, anxiety. The list could go on & on. My significant other believes I should have a beer tonight to calm my nerves because he’s worried about me quitting cold turkey. I do understand the dangers of stopping and really would just like some suggestions of what I can do to get through this absolute hell I’m fighting. Thank you​:pray::sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Have a bath go to bed. And keep hydrated.
Just don’t have another beer

5 Likes

Amen. Having a beer just resets the withdrawal clock and you can look forward to going through it all again tomorrow! :roll_eyes:

Have a bite to eat, stay hydrated, and rest. Call off other stuff if you gotta. If there is real concern of serious withdrawal (not knowing your history), you might consider talking to your doctor. They can help make sure it’s safe.

But I had all that too, and the worst physical stuff passed for me after just a few days.

2 Likes

I’m not promoting the use of drugs, but kratom is a great herbal remedy that I have heard helps with opiate withdrawal. I use kratom, but not for withdrawal (cocaine was my drug of choice). Kratom is legal and there are some really great benefits. Hang in there, your life is worth it! Prayers and good vibes your way :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi Sarah, I’m sorry to hear about the withdrawals - it sucks, I know.

Do not use kratom or other “herbal” remedies - keep in mind, cocaine was a “herbal” remedy 100 years ago - because it affects the same brain areas as opiates and you can easily replace one addiction with another (search “kratom” in the magnifying glass above - many have posted about it before):

There are many legitimate medical supports you can access, to help you. Search your state’s health department website, or search around for clinics or hospitals you can visit. The federal government maintains a database of treatments you can access:

Never give up, never give in. Do not have that beer tonight - it’s a bad idea - instead, reach out for legitimate, professional medical help, and stay sober, strong and determined. You are a good person who deserves a safe, sober life - and your life will come, and it will get better every day.

1 Like

Dan posted a good chart to help people understand their alcohol withdrawals:

There’s also a ton of negative stuff with kratom, including it’s addictive properties. Plenty of horror stories on this forum about it. My biggest concern is that it’s not regulated at all. Generally the forum has an aversion to promoting unregulated, mind-altering substances.

5 Likes

The best advice would be to keep an eye on things.

The symptoms you have at the moment are general withdrawal and will pass. The nausea may get worse (very likely) but just ride it out.

Keep an eye out for more serious withdrawal symptoms, such as shaking (full body shaking) , hallucinations, psychosis, hearing voices, drifting in and out of consciousness. These could lead to fits and seizures which will need medical attention detox or a alcohol reduction plan.

See how things go. The fact your up and typing on here is a good sign.

1 Like

I can only go by my personal experience with it, and to call it a mind altering substance is outrageous. Using the recommended dose is far from mind altering. Of course anything can be abused.

Did your doctor recommend the dose? If so I apologise.

I would go a day at most just because my body wouldn’t even let me get intoxicated. Id be on binders 6 days a week i go no more than a day without chilling out. This is always night drinking too, never been a drinker before about 7pm. Not that it matters.

Actually taking a bath now listening to music to calm my mind and nerves. I emptied all alcohol i had left in this house.

4 Likes

Alot of the hallucinations, and psychosis for last night. I could barely sleep my heart racing and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Sweating non stop, couldn’t get comfortable etc.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words I definitely empty the two beers that I had left in the fridge because us his alcoholic we can’t just have that one drink and someone who is not personally an addict his not understand that our brain works differently from theirs. Thankfully I have had more of an appetite today and have been drinking water throughout so I’m hoping by tomorrow I feel a lot better

4 Likes

Oh I’m sorry you are going through this. But you know with every second, minute you stay sober it will get better. Good that you are taking a hot bath. With me a lot of sparkling water helped me. And tea. Maybe camomile? Just some non alcoholic liquids to keep you hydrated. And sleep. Relax. Maybe some relaxation music on?

If you have a doctor you should probably give them a call. Better to be safe than sorry

2 Likes

:pensive: sorry to hear your going through it right now but these symptoms will subside i would say no to the beer try and ask hubby to cuddle distract you or you can sleep it off for the day you got this !!!

I’ve found excersise is a good release… I haven’t ran on almost 5 years and just 15 minutes was enough to bring me to tears but when I was done I felt good about not folding. I’d try and find something to take your mind away. Something that forces you not to think

1 Like

You will feel better, I guarantee it, one day at a time. Lots of water & rest.

Don’t hold back on food; you can expect cravings (it’s replacing those alcohol sugars). Don’t worry about food, just eat what you want, when you want. Your diet will settle out after you get some sober time.

Join a recovery program of some type so you can get support & not feel alone. There’s a bunch listed here & many have online options:
Resources for our recovery

I drank only in the evenings like you, with very few nights off. I am on Day 5 now, but those first couple of nights? Horrible. No sleep, racing heart, panic. BUT, already I feel better physically today. Hang in there! Stress Relief tea works wonders IMO.

3 Likes