Words of Wisdom?

I am on day one of putting down the bottle. I’ll be at my 24-hour mark in a few minutes. I feel so ready for this change. I know it will take work but I also have known for a long time that this day was coming. Any words of wisdom?

Happy to be on this platform - it seems to be a very positive place. I hope everyone is well!

31 Likes

Welcome!! Way to go on making it to ur 1st day sober! Honestly, if I had any words of wisdom they’d have to be:

• Just focus on the 24 hours ahead (don’t look too far, it can sometimes get overwhelming)
  • Stay in contact with positive supports… this forum is AMAZING
    And finally…
  • Be patient with yourself. We didnt become addicts and alcoholics in 1 day, so easy does it!
    :smiley:
14 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Welcome! I found it takes a lot of hard work and determination but it’s definitely worth it. I had to put the same amount of energy and time into sobriety that I put into drinking and drugging. That includes coming to this forum daily and going to AA meetings at least 3 times a week (it was daily in the early days). Changing routine and retraining my brain to never desire to pick up again was key.
Wishing you the best.

9 Likes

Words, yes. Stay close to those who are living with the disease of addiction. Their hard work trickles outward and we often catch it. Personally, I do this by attending meetings and talking with/helping others.
This place is very helpful too. Oh, and don’t listen to your brain if it even hints some bullshit about a drink is no big deal, a good idea, just one won’t matter…
Hugs to ya, day one done!

7 Likes

Welcome Lee. I kind of planned my sobriety. I don’t recommend that it could kill someone. But anyway. The first thing I did was a gratitude list. Every single day for the last 2 years I’ve come on here Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery and done my gratitude list. It’s the best way for me to start my day. It lays a good foundation along with my morning devotionals and prayer. I got so much more to be grateful for now that I’m sober.
Have a good read around here. Join in when your comfortable. I never miss a day.
:pray:t2::heart:

9 Likes

The thing that helped me the most was the old cliché of taking it one day a time. Just focus on being sober right now. Don’t worry about being sober tonight or tomorrow, or next week.

That will freak you out, especially if you’re used to a routine that revolves around alcohol like I did in my former life. There’s no need to stress yourself out by worrying about “oh god how am I going to keep this up for a week, or a month or a year.”

That is a perfectly logical and rational thought to have, but I found that pushing those thoughts aside and focusing on the present is best. Before you know it, you will establish a new sober routine and it won’t be a big deal at all!

7 Likes

Welcome! Be active, and be open…this place will help tremendously.

Just remember: relapse is a choice. Cravings and triggers will happen. Resisting the craving will not kill you, but picking up that first drink certainly can.

8 Likes

You can do it wishing you the best of luck!!!❤️‍🩹

3 Likes

I totally agree with this 200%
I’m 12 days AF and often find myself getting anxious and overwhelmed because of thoughts like “omg how am I going to do/celebrate XYZ without drinking” even though these events (my birthday, for example) are months away.
I try to shake it off and focus on the present. I can stay sober today while the sun is still shining. I won’t think about the evening/night, which are harder for me, until it comes.

My bit of advice that has helped me give up alcohol is by trying all kinds of new things to drink. I used to spend my thinking and looking forward to the wine I would drink at night. Now I have other things (different flavors of juices and soft drinks) to be excited to look forward to drinking at night.
Also, I have been drinking tons of hot tea during the day time. Herbal teas can have a soothing effect or the caffeinated kinds can give you a little pep, whatever you need at the time.

7 Likes

One day at a time and I keep my fridge stocked with various sparkling waters.

7 Likes

Thank you all so much for the support and suggestions! Grateful there’s a community out here :pray:t3:

5 Likes

One day at a time. Wake up KNOWING that you will not drink today. Go to sleep and start over with the same thought. Taking it one day at a time will give you days under your belt to where you will know that one day at a time will turn into months, then years. You have to believe in yourself that it is possible!! You can do it!!!

2 Likes

I love that mentality :muscle: thank you!

2 Likes

Break that routine! Your life is brand new! Time to fill it with sober activities!

5 Likes

Well said, and if ‘97 is your Birth year, even more well said,Smitty!

…. this record plays over and over in my head most days! But nowadays, l’m strong enough to get up and pull the power cord out of the player.

3 Likes

Nope, born in 70. Year my oldest was born was 97.

3 Likes

Anything in life is possible, but in order to give yourself a fighting chance of success, sobriety is necessary. There will be wins, there will be losses, you will have good days and you will have bad days, but even when facing the bad days, sobriety makes it tolerable.

And remember, nothing changes if nothing changes.

4 Likes

Oh well, no wonder you’re so wise, if you’re THAT long in the tooth!! :tooth: :rofl:

2 Likes

Let go, or be dragged.

5 Likes