Work related question, please help me

I need advice about work, and I’m really hoping some of you kind folk can offer your help, experience and general thoughts on this, because it’s not an easy decision.

I’m comfortable at work, love the job, pay is ok (I’m not very motivated by money) have good work-life balance, I feel the best that I have for a long time, possibly ever, in terms of being comfortable with life. I’m 39, if that makes a difference.

I’ve been asked to step up to a team leader role, it’s a great team, it’s a secondment initially, so had potential for an ‘escape hatch’ back to my old job… they are desperate to fill the role and can’t recruit anyone good enough. But this will mean no practical work, more stress, possible source of anxiety. But on the flip side, I can see myself being bored in my current role within a few years.

I have been personally asked to take the role, I cannot imagine a situation where I would be more supported in a work promotion, and there’s also the danger that they could recruit externally and we could end up with a really bad manager… but if I take it, it would mean leaving behind my low stress existence in a job I love.

1 Like

Nothing changes if nothing changes :grinning:

1 Like

Interesting it sounds like your in a dilemma

You said you love your current position but might get bored in a few years. I been there.

However the promotion could bring on stress and anxiety.

So what about job satisfaction? The excitement of the new role considering the negatives you already stated, what about the pros of it like a more rewarding position from your standpoint?

I see your concern of a possible toxic manager coming in causing a rift, in your current position I have likewise been there, people dont want toxic bosses it’s a great way to destroy workplace morale.

You already have a escape hatch almost a try it before you buy it.kinda thing which is a plus.

Based on you saying you might get bored with what you do now, did you consider just giving it a go? Do a daily inventory of pros and cons in your trial period? It gives you time to evaluate your post and decide if you can truly manage it, or if its gonna be too much

3 Likes

Thank you this is really useful advice.

1 Like

It’s so difficult to offer useful advice here without knowing more about you, your job etc, but…

If it’s on a secondment basis that sounds like a win win to me, if your old job would be open to you to go back to if it doesn’t work out. You never know it might be amazing!

1 Like

Your welcome I’d hate to see you pass up an opportunity if it may benefit you

I only can offer personal experience. For me, it would be a First try it - Then buy it. I understand the concerns about some extern recruited person that doesn’t fit in. But I would split that consideration from the personal decision about taking the job, because these are different objects. It’s NOT your responibility nor your job to prevent a hypothetical mistake in the hiring. I would only focus on the pros & cons for me and then listen to my gut instinct. Wish you all the best and the optimal outcome for you :purple_heart:

1 Like