Working night shifts

If I make it through today I will be one week sober, the longest time I’ve ever been without a drink in years. Cravings are nattering in my ear like crazy but I’m determined to make it through tonight.
However, on Wednesday I start 2 weeks of night shifts and I’m really worrying about how I’ll cope. I struggle to sleep during the day and my normal go to cure is (you guessed it) a bottle of wine when I get in to send me off to sleep.
Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you deal with it?

If it were me I’d hit a morning meeting on the way home from work. Unfortunately detox entails a certain amount of discomfort so you are going to have to suffer (we all did) a little bit. Melatonin is good for sleep and multivitamens are good for energy when you get up. Stay hydrated too.

First of all good job for you first week. This is amazing, and you’re gonna make it through today to!

I don’t do night shifts but I work in a bar so 4PM to 3AM. Going to bed around 4.
To fall asleep, I do prescripted pills because I had problem with sleeping since along time and I too realized I was dealing with it with alcool. I don’t necessarily recommend it, but for me it was so much helpful when I stopped drinking, because it’ll shut down the anxiety and make me fall asleep. But before that I used to go for melatonin and reading. You also want the thickest curtains so you can sleep in a dark room like if it was the night… I even put a mask over my eyes (I don’t know how you call that… kind of a band you put onto your eyes to make it dark … sorry my English is shit lol). During morning/day time the worst part for me after the light is the sounds… I put plugs in my ears some times. With all that I manage to sleep until noon or more without problem, except when there’s a lot of noises or there’s to many light.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile: