Working on being kind to myself

When days get slow I get in my own head very easily and I find it hard to stay focused and positive.

3 Likes

Welcome to talking sober … This is a great community for support and help. And I will say this is a safe place. I can relate to what you’re talking about. For me when I feel like that it’s about just doing anything to get moving. Move a muscle change a thought. Sometimes for me if I’m in my head or I’m struggling I will get up and brush my teeth… I know that might sound weird but it’s little things that can get you up or moving along,or I will make myself do the dishes, these little steps can start the process to change your whole day. I also have to tell myself sometimes that I can start my day over at any time. This sobriety thing is a process. And it’s one day at a time

I feel like that too. I go for long walks and literally talk to myself out loud. People prob think I’m nuts.

Then I get to a point where I get annoyed at my own selfishness in wallowing in a pit of my own making. Realizing that staying in bed all day or giving over to bad thoughts and emotions doesn’t help me advance. So I force myself to do stuff I don’t like or want to.

I’m only a few days totally sober so it will be some weeks yet until my brain and body really begin to heal…at which time I know I’ll feel better.

It’s a hard journey and we’re only human and we all make mistakes. Staying sober, praying a lot, focusing on others, taking it easy on ourselves, exercise…they all help.

1 Like