Wow do I need a hobby. PLEASE HELP!

I’m almost a month in and just feel lost. It’s not like I had so much more going on when I drank but I could find some joy in the most meaningless things. Now I’m sober and so fucking bored. Looking for suggestions. Thanks people. #ele #everybodyloveeverybody

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much free time you suddenly have when you stop drinking, isn’t it.

For me it was best to add one new thing at a time. I felt the urge to do lots of new things but quickly felt overwhelmed. I’m not great with commitment, and feel guilty if I ‘fail’ at keeping up with things.

I looked back at what I used to enjoy and the biggest thing for me right now is drawing. I’ve just added walking in the countryside. Not sure what I’ll add next but I’m excited to find out what is around the corner!

So what did you enjoy before the drinking ate up your time? :blush:

3 Likes

You are only limited by your imagination, and your perspective. I believe you are still grieving for the loss of that part of life, ie. the past, have just started to assess the present, and have yet to begin looking at the future.

What you are experiencing is normal, I think. “What now?”…you’ve become aware of the vacuum left behind, when all things alcohol-related have been exorcised, and you are just now getting acquainted with “sober you”.

Believe it or not, this is a great place to be! It is an opportunity to discover and try new things, to make “You 2.0” the person you’ve always wanted to become. Better. Smarter. Stronger. Faster.

Want to feel good about who you are? Find a way to help people. If people aren’t your passion, find a private animal rescue, and volunteer to work their adoption events. I used to do this.

Want to be a more interesting person? Learn a language. Take ballroom dancing classes. Pick a favorite author, and read everything they’ve written.

Want to be more focused and driven. Choose to master something like archery, or bowling, or skeet-shooting, all things that require mental focus and mastery of physical mechanics to become proficient, and provide instant feedback.

Want to become stronger? Set a goal, like run a 10k, bike a century. Take a martial art. Something physical that requires daily training and dedication to achieve measurable progression.

Or combine them. Train for a physical event that is raising money and awareness for some cause or cure.

You have a new, sober life hanging in front of you, just waiting for you to get after it. So get after it!

11 Likes

Ukulele. Easy to make recognized sounds with little effort and hours of fun reworking classics!

4 Likes

When I was a month in, I did a lot of reading about addiction. Read tons on this forum, read recovery memoirs, listened to sobriety podcasts The Bubble Hour and Annie Grace. I joined a 30-day “alcohol experiment” (through Annie Grace) even though I had already quit for a month. Got daily videos and email emailed to me. It helped solidify my choice of sobriety. Oh, and I started watching some Netflix at that time too.

4 Likes

I too read a ton of stuff on addiction. I went through a movie phase where I watched all the movies I missed from the last few years. Then I went on a reading books binge and read 3 books a week. I went on urban hikes in the snow (aka walking). Now I’m on a bike riding and go to work phase. I’m probably going to stick here for a while.

Do a bunch of stuff. You are sober so you can do whatever the hell you want and not worry about DUIs, hangovers, your next fix or being broke.

I think I’m going to go to dinner and a movie tonight because, fuck it, I can. But not until I put 40 miles on the bike.

7 Likes

Since getting sober I’m busier than I’ve ever been. Home projects, AA mtgs, more home projects, working out…Service work has been a big part of my time. I set up an make coffee at the mtgs I go to.

I also chose to take a program to get certified as a personal trainer.

I found that instead of sitting doing next to nothing I now accomplish productive things.

There are all kinds of things to do! You got this!!

6 Likes

@Frank68 it has been an absolute pleasure watching you grow since you’ve joined this forum

1 Like

A great example of getting after it! Keep getting better at getting better!

2 Likes

You’re not bored, you’re just not anesthetized anymore. Alcohol distorts reality. Don’t be aggravated or scared by boredom…think of it as a challenge! Try different activities, find what fits. Slowly step out of your comfort zone Enjoy getting to know yourself :+1:t3:

On a side note…your dog :heart_eyes::hugs:

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch!

Today’s project, painting is one of my hobbies

6 Likes

I used the ukelele to get through my first couple of months! Sorta gave up after that

A few months ago, a year sober, I found Kundalini Yoga and was instantly hooked, I went 4 times the first week. Maybe it’s not for everyone, but for me it’s the perfect fit. It seems to attract a lot of addicts, so maybe if there’s somewhere local you could give that a try?

2 Likes

I am loving yin yoga. Just recently started practicing at home in addition to one of the local yoga studios. Love it.

3 Likes

i do yoga, watch movies alot, cook and just walk and listen music

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help. Great suggestions in here and couldn’t be happier with all the responses. Much love.
#ele #everybodyloveeverybody