Yay to celebrities that open up about addiction

I suspect some people read these stories, or see these memoirs, and think “spoiled rich people” but I still hope that some people will read them and realise that they aren’t alone, that even the people that we (for some reason) look up to struggle with the disease of addiction too.

The latest one is Jessica Simpson. I had no idea she had problems with booze and pills. I’m so glad she’s coming out with her story. I hope she talks about the struggles with recovery too. I can’t wait to read her book.

10 Likes

We are all just people. It was a positive thing when celebrities first started acknowledging their addictions, treatments and recovery battles. Lifting the veil helps slowly lift the stigma for all of us. No one should have to struggle alone or in secret.

9 Likes

I’ve had to listen to people say “They chose to drink/use. It’s their own fault” and sit there completely afraid that they might find out about me. When it gets talked about openly like this it give courage to us common folk. Celebrities are just people like us all but they do have power and a voice. Just like DeNiro said in his speech at the SAG awards this weekend!! (of course, he was talking politics…but the message is still the same)

5 Likes

i have that article open now about to read it! i have no idea with her either. PR can do wonders for a public person bc that never came out until now. excited to read this after browsing TS!

1 Like

this is true - and it seems the battle of addiction can be even uglier for a celeb / public person bc the intense concealing of any wrong-doing can probably feel absolutely overwhelming. the only people that care if i’m an addict or not is my family and friends. couldnt imagine 400 million people caring so deeply about my private life.

2 Likes

@VSue and @claire-lo…agreed!! Opening up their lives to the public is brave, as we know. And IMHO it can only help us all as our society becomes more open about discussing and understanding addiction and substance abuse issues, as well as the underlying mental health issues they may stem from.

1 Like

Another book £16 , not that brave when you get paid for it , rant over

3 Likes

That’s a bit cynical. I don’t disagree with you but I also think there is good that can come from it.

2 Likes

I like listening to aa meetings with famous people. I’ve heard Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton. And Greg Allman went to 15 rehabs!! I can’t believe he kept trying, God rest his soul.

1 Like

Famous Canadian Matthew Perry on why he doesn’t want to be remembered only for Friends :innocent:

5 Likes

I plan to read his book over the holidays. I do think he’s still fairly early in sobriety but I’m rooting for him.

1 Like

Definitely on my kindle reading list. Been looking forward to finishing the book I’m reading to get to his.

1 Like

I read his book last week (well, listened to it on Audible). I thought it was great. Real eye opener to the struggle many of us go through with any sort of addiction or alcohol use disorder. So painful, yet so much to learn from. I pray that can find peace from the pain he holds within. :heart:

1 Like