You restart your clocks if you have a beer?

Imagine going on a sobriety forum and being told that:
“consuming your DOC is not being sober.”

Then getting mad at the negative responses digging through your rationalization.

Best of luck to you. :+1:

5 Likes

Feck it,im reposting this reply after deleting it for a few mins.

Excuse me???

2 Likes

Were you referring to the OP or to my reply?

1 Like

The OP,apologies to anyone who doesnt agree but i find the post/question stupid

4 Likes

5 Likes

@Wranglerwren I’m gonna try a different response to your question. As many others have pointed out this is a sobriety forum…so the assumption is you desire not to consume alcohol at all. I’ve done moderation and sobriety with varying degrees of success. Sobriety is different for everyone, but counting sober days and still getting hammered and/or drinking regularly isn’t by definition, sobriety.

HOWEVER, just because you have chosen to drink occasionally doesn’t take away from all of the days you haven’t had a drink…what you are actually counting and whom you are counting it for is up to you to decide. While it is still a success in the long run, it just doesn’t meet the perameters of sobriety as it is commonly defined.

If you are more interested in moderation, there is a great app (paid app) called Reframe that allows you to choose either a reduction or abstinence track to follow with the ultimate end goal of a healthier you. Check it out…it was instrumental in my journey to 2+ years of sobriety, as was this forum. But if you don’t want to stop completely, then maybe this forum isn’t the right fit.

I can tell you from experience the people in this forum are incredibly supportive, but also brutally honest. If you ask a question about if you can be sober and still drink, smoke, or otherwise ingest your DOC, expect a truthful response and one which really isn’t open for debate.

10 Likes

Oh well I guess sober folks keeping it real aren’t for everyone :woman_shrugging:…… this forums called talking sober not talking let’s have a go at the weekend and occasionally get hammered… what you have 662 days at I cannot fathom but abstinence is something you may have five or six days of :+1:

4 Likes

@19801 and one day of allowing myself to drink would only open the flood gate back to everyday. Like it would for many others here.

4 Likes

Part of admitting my powerlessness over alcohol was when my sponsor pointed out that if I were able to drink one day a year the way I wanted to, with no consequences, that I would obsess the other 364 days about that one day.

6 Likes

As this was the first topic that I have read from beginning to end I thought maybe I would chime in. It really seemed to take a turn when he responded feeling that everybody was unfriendly and I can say that in my nearing one month on this platform I can say that this group is anything but unfriendly or unwelcoming you have all been absolutely amazing and it has been a huge help in getting me towards one month t- 11 hours and 18 minutes. My DOC is a little bit difficult to label what is considered using or sober or intoxicated and I have no issues with any substances so it’s a little bit difficult to say exactly what applies in this kind of circumstance but I would tend to do agree with all of you that if your DOC is alcohol then having anything to drink would constitute having to reset the clock as you are not sober. I would suspect that in terms of alcohol sobriety would be considered having a blood alcohol level of 0.00 and although you may not be drunk after one beer you would not be sober and any test would show that. I really hope that this person can find the help that he wants and can proceed down a path that makes him happy whether that is here or somewhere else but I just wanted to once again say how great everybody has been and how much I have enjoyed being on here and how helpful it has been. Thank you to everybody

11 Likes

If you can have 1 beer a week and not go on a bender then odds are you are not an alcoholic. A true Alcoholic/Addict doesnt stop after 1 or wait all week for another. If you can honestly do that then more power too you, but why count days like you are staying sober?

1 Like