Young and Socially Awkward

I want friends to talk about astrology, ethics and wellbeing tips with. I’m socially awkward and shy, and recovering from negative depression “coping mechanisms”.

I’m so open to new experiences. I’m 20 now, and I’m ready to shake off insecurities that I’ve previously struggled with… including harmful addiction and poor support systems.

More about me:
☆ Astrology novice
☆ Yoga novice
☆ Mental Health Awareness is life
☆ Would like to be part of a book club
☆ Formerly religious and very spiritually curious
☆ Non binary (she/her)

3 Likes

• I’m super socially awkward :grimacing:
  • I’m in recovery :hospital:
  • I’m into astrology :sparkles:
  • I’m spiritual/religious and down to share tips :dizzy:
  • I like yoga :woman_in_lotus_position:
  • I just like to chit chat :speech_balloon:

0 voters

1 Like

Welcome!!! Love your thread, it is super cute and a good way to introduce yourself!

I am not socially awkward, but I am socially anxious…which explains my not checking the chit chat box…chatting makes me anxious as well. :hugs: I am into yin yoga, stone and crystal energy…and cosmic energy, Jungian therapy/mythology, holistic healing, all things womyn/goddess/warrior/crone, running and bicycling/mtn biking, gardening/growing and not least…recovery…plus more. Glad you are here!! :heart::heart:

4 Likes

so cool :heart: have you always been Buddhist?

I used to be a jehovah’s witness

2 Likes

thank you :)) and you’re awesome lol

I want to start practicing yin yoga!! (and sun salutation yoga) but I struggle to keep up when changing positions. maybe that’s anxiety as well (as opposed to awkwardness lol). but what got you into yoga? :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

Yin is so relaxing and great for anxiety…plus no pressure about transitions. There are some great videos on YouTube. For beginners, check out Kassandra’s various yin classes. I also love Yin with Trishy, but those are longer classes…which may need some building up to.

I started on yin when I found I needed 1) a really good stretching routine to ease my old body after running and 2) I needed help with anxiety and I found yin to be a more meditative practice. It slows me way down and I love that.

What type of yoga(s) are you called to?

1 Like

Have you read any translations of the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying? I read it first more than 30 years ago when my first husband died and it struck such a chord. I picked up a copy just this past week and am looking forward to digging in again. I find a peaceful comfort in so much of Buddhism.

2 Likes

Ah! Wise! I hadn’t made this connection to it calling me…thank you!!

1 Like

:heart::heart::heart: thanks I’m gonna look at those channels later. and yeah cutting out old coping mechanisms that I was like used to definitely amplifies how I experience anxiety… and yoga is so all encompassing, I need to get into it - thank you.

and… I’m not sure what you mean by that question :sweat_smile: ahahaa

1 Like

ah that’s so beautiful haha, especially the fact that being diagnosed with ASS helped you to start regaining control.

:dizzy: yeah and my family still practises it. I’m not really touched by specific religions, though I really understand the beauty in appreciating a higher power and giving thanks.

1 Like

When i do courses and teach new starters in my company a good way to help me relax when i feel nervous and shy is to have something in my hand like a pen.

You could also try doing small talk sessions when your alone just so you get more and more comfortable doing it in person.

Another tip when you feel shy is to imagine the other person is more shy than yourself

1 Like

lol small talk sessions :joy: embarrassed to say that I speak to myself a lot. but not small talk - I’ll give it a try.

so awkward :joy:

1 Like

The small talk sessions are embarrassing i wont lie😂 but they help with the speaking clearer and louder but since you already speak to yourself keep doin that, im extremly socially awkward too😂

1 Like