Your thougher days? How did you cope?

Which were the tougher moments for you of the recovering process? Why? And how did you cope?

I’m craving a bit now… hunf =/

3 Likes

Am 10 days sober and clean my tougher days have been at the start we’re I was craving a drink so badly I just tried my best to keep it simple and just tell myself not to pick up today and also being honest with my family and asking for there support when I ask for it… we did a group chat to keep in touch which as been a great help I love the forum here but it’s the people in your life who can be there biggest supporters I have found by being honest they have really cheered me on and supported me we’re as before I hid a lot even though they knew I was just not being honest which is a really bad thing for a person in active addiction to do… I needed that change and am now on day 10 I still have lots of thoughts but am not acting on them anymore i tell myself just not today… You keep strong :+1::muscle: you can do this

2 Likes

I’m having a tough time today myself. Work is overwhelming and I’m pretty stressed out.

What I do in these times is take a moment and figure what I have control of and what I don’t. Most of what is stressing me out are the things I have no control over, and since I have no control, I let go of emotional attachment and focus on what I can control.

And at the end of the day, just let it go, its not like I’m saving lives here.

6 Likes

Once it was so bad I wouldn’t call it coping I had a breakdown on the way to work so went home and thought I was going to die of a heart attack but there are only so many times you can put yourself through this and at some point you’ve just gotta scream and cry it out.
just for the record I still bloody relapsed a while later so be careful bc your ego will always try and convince you it wasn’t that bad.

2 Likes

you gotta bite the bullet, white knuckle it and just focus on getting through the day. keep your mouth happy - ice cream, gummy bears, whatever! - and go to an online meeting. ‘this too shall pass’ is so true. tomorrow you will reflect on today and think wow, i’m glad i made it through sober!

5 Likes

When I quit drinking my wife was having an affair. That’s where the tail end of my drinking had taken her. There was no love for anyone or anything inside me at the end. So she went outside our marriage to escape our misery.
Today she will say that was the biggest regret of her life. But I don’t blame her one bit. What choice did I give her??

Anyways, in the beginning of my journey I would know that she was with this person, while I was alone. Alone and sober and broken. Wanting to drink pretty bad at times to just make it all go away.

But I knew where that lead. I knew that was a fight I could never win. So no matter what happened, I didn’t pick up. No matter how much the awful things she said to me hurt, I didn’t pick up. No matter what. No matter how much I wanted to give up, I didn’t pick up.

That and AA meetings every night for the first 90 days. If I didn’t have that, I never would have succeeded. If I didn’t have those guys talking me off the ledge every night, I never would have made it.

A craving it just a thought pal. One of millions we have every day. It will pass. I tell you this story just because I feel like it can show that someone can go through real pain and heartache and still not pick up. One day at a time

8 Likes

Thinking a lot about all you all wrote… thanks for sharing this… I’ve got an ice cream in the end and now I’m having a tea…watched a movie and a friend will call in a bit… there were moments in the movie I was watching that ppl were partying and drinking that didn’t help, so I might have to be careful with what I watch for a bit also, I think… my brain is trying to trick me to the whole ‘and if you just drink on certain occasions, and if you drink less instead quitting and if if if if…’’ so I came here… It helps to know I’m not alone in this and I’m thankful there’s a place to share these thoughts…with ppl that gets me… I really hope you are all well and positive… thanks again <3

1 Like

I’m trying to find a meeting to attend in the next days… I did another post earlier asking for reccomendations… cause I really don’t know how do they work… hoping to find one asap

1 Like

i go to ‘in the rooms’ meetings. they have tons of different groups to explore and lots of meeting times. you have to create a profile to be apart of the meetings. i find it to be one of my favorite sobriety tools.

1 Like

There have so been so many tough days that its hard to pick the toughest.

Recently its been that Im way out of my comfort zone reconnecting with my kids. My drinking didnt cause my kids to be removed from my life, but when I started drinking after they were gone, it didnt help me decrease the length of time that went by.

Now Ive reconnected with complete strangers that I helped bring into this world. It was terrifying as I walked into it. Because im sober, it has gone really good.

Im staying with their mother which is way out of my comfort zone and she drinks when they arent here, and does other things that make me extremely uncomfortable.

Im working a job I dont like, in a city I hate. Temptation is everywhere. But because Im sober I have handled everything better than I could have imagined.

Sometimes not taking that first drink no matter how good it sounds is all I can do.

Other times feeling proud because of my sober behavior makes that drink sound terrible.

The more im sober the more of the proud moments I get to experience. That helps me not take that first drink too.

Sharing my experience helps me not take the first drink too.

This forum has helped me alot along my journey. Glad your here!

4 Likes

My toughest days were when i was just flatout bored nothing to do the way i coped was to get up and do something hope that helps.

1 Like

My toughest days have been this week. At 9i days sober from that demonic substance but I cant shake the feeling and cravings!

2 Likes

I need help with coping as well

1 Like

Fight the urge, Paige. It is hard but you deserve to live a full and happy life. You don’t want that shit ruling your life. You’re young and strong, keep it up!

2 Likes

More so than any one instance, my toughest times are during the evenings when I’m used to drinking being part of my routine. Hell it was my routine. I would almost never go to bed sober if it wasn’t a work day.

Now I still find the evenings to be tough especially when there isn’t anything to do but watch TV, read etc.

I just constantly remind myself of how much harder and worse the next day(s) will be if I pick up a drink. I’d reached the point where it just isn’t worth it anymore so I stay strong and take it day by day.

I know that isn’t a crazy story and certainly not as powerful as what others have said, but if I can do it then you do it! Just remember… take it one day at a time :+1:

2 Likes

The way i battle it is memories just remembering the smell the taste the feeling you get and all the other nonsense that came with it is enough for me to quickly curb those sneaky thoughts like NOT TODAY SATAN !!

1 Like