Alternitive approaches to sobriety- other than AA

Yep, trying to avoid religious based recovery programs. I practice Neo-Paganism, I’m very spirtual so I’m incorporating that daily on my own.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m off to check that out. Thanks again Bill.

1 Like

I am not currently using any specific group/technique…I’m on my own but using things from as many groups as I can.

Im currently working on this workbook. I hope the link works.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fshared%2Fc42hfl9upf3i35tagr9d

3 Likes

I know Bill, I’m aware :grin: but thanks for clarifying for others who may read this…

1 Like

It worked Vsue, thanks so much !

1 Like

This link has a couple if threads on this same topic you may find informative…

(Frequently Asked Questions):

1 Like

I did an IOP program and if was the best thing that ever happened to me! But it is quite a bit of work. And I think you have to have some type of insurance. But it could be welfare level insurance, nothing special. I highly recommend IOP.

3 Likes

I second the IOP. You get to experience many different addiction types, see how much of it relates to the brain. See all walks of life in group.

As with any program an open mind is needed. You get out what you put in always.

1 Like

I was going to suggest long term outpatient, or even inpatient if you are in position to do so. There’s also medically assisted treatment (MAT) like antubus, naltrexone and others that you combine with therapy. There’s also the good ole fashion white knuckling. Jail has worked for many people but I don’t suggest it.

3 Likes

I have Medicaid and it works for most IOP lol

1 Like

I did an out patient after I was hospitalized for some mental health issues and I liked it. I would like to go back but an issue with my private insurance came up recently an and I’m waiting to hear if they will reinstate me. I’m trying to have an alternative plan incase they deny me. I will be devastated if they don’t as I had gallbladder removal surgery last month and I will be responsible for over a $100000 worth of medical bills if I do not get reinstated. I’m trying to avoid relapse, thats only way I have known to deal with stress the last 7 years is to take more pills.

I dont know what your drug of choice is but if its opiates. You should consider vivitrol which can be free on medicare. I know my buddy got a wrist band that showed he was on vivitrol so they will not give you opiates if you went to the hospital or surgery. To get a script would be a baddd idea. Id try deal with the pain naturally or just with naproxen or ibprofen. Just a thought…

1 Like

Thank u for sharing :slight_smile: i dont you , what is matter is that you try to find what can work for you :slight_smile: and that is very cool . Many things you can do instead of AA .im hoping u find what works for you

My drug of choice is opiates, I had the surgery last month so I have no more pain from that. I am just worried about the outcome of my private insurance paying for the actual surgery from last month. I will be beyond stressed if they deny me for a reinstatement, mentally that is, I don’t deal with stress very well. I self medicate if anything comes up. I would use stubbing my toe is a reason to take 4 pills. LOL

I really hope you can get the whole thing figured out. I know about self medicating for stress, we all do. That is certainly a huge stressor! No matter the outcome, if you live in the states, you can get on any type of Medicare and be covered for most IOPs. I know where I go for my mental health and addiction care they help people get set up with insurance.

1 Like

I’m going to my first SMART meeting on Tuesday evening. I also was looking for alternatives to a.a. I will let everyone know what I think of it!

1 Like

@Bill_Phillips I am planning on purchasing the book at my first meeting. Hopefully they have some available. I do well with workbooks and being able to be guided through the process through worksheets etc

Just bought it thanks…

1 Like

@NicoleLeanne please do let us know how it goes !!

Stay strong, you can do it :pray: