Binge eating how to begin to stop?

Hey guys,

Im looking for help in binge eating. Since becoming sober it has been taking over. I dont know where or how to start tackling this. Im sick of it at this point. I think about food a lot and fixate on what sweets I’ll have that day. Thanks in advance for your help

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting sober. It’s not uncommon for food to take the place of other substances and it’s a complicated journey to deal with. There is a thread here where folks check in and talk about binge eating that you might want to check out. I’ll link it below. When you click on the link, you can scroll to the bottom for the most recent post. Others may chime in here, but you can also use the magnifying glass at the top toolbar to search eating issues, binge eating, disordered eating, or other keywords because it is a topic that comes up pretty often. I wish you the best and hope you get involved and get support.

Binge eating daily check in

4 Likes

Thank you very much

1 Like

And sorry to mistake that you were new! Of course you’re not, my bad. Those banners above people’s posts when they haven’t posted in a while always confuse me. I’m glad you’re back looking for some community and support in this for yourself.

2 Likes

Hey @cort, after I quit drinking, I gained a lot of weight, ate sweets and a lot of fast food. I figured it was better than boozing, but now I’m 35 pounds heavier, high cholesterol, blood pressure and prediabetic. I started in February to start my “better me” journey. Here’s what I’ve been doing.

Made a food journal. I write down everything I eat everyday, as well as how much.

I log my weight, blood pressure and glucose frequently.

I signed up for a personal trainer at the gym I go to. He helps me with not only work outs that fit my goal, but also with diet planning.

Just today, I had an appointment with a dietitian to help figure out how I can lower cholesterol AND A1C. It was eye opening and would definitely reccomend getting a dietitian. My insurance covers it, if you’re in the US, yours might as well.

I also started being diligent about eating something every few hours instead of waiting for dinner, where I’d over eat. Also use a smaller plate when I can.

I don’t know if this will help at all, but it has helped me be cognizant of what I am doing and am being held accountable by my doctor, trainer, and now dietitian.

Be well!

5 Likes

To be honest at first I just let myself eat sweets and rubbish and then would deal with that later when I felt more stable.
That saying I have been a binge eater for years sometimes with purging to then binge again. But being sober I didn’t seem to have a grip on my eating at all. I couldn’t stop myself from diving in the cupboards even tho I could say to myself out loud your regret this later!
What’s really helped me feel in control of my food intake and sweet tooth is at first buying a fitness watch combined with a weight app connected. I helped me track the calories I needed for the day and if I moved more I could allow myself to eat more. So rather than being like I’m fed up of eating shit and feeling shit after I now just track what I eat and still get to satisfy the sweet tooth. To be honest because of the eureka moment I go to the gym 3 times a week (havent done in 10+ years) and also had a baked biscoff cupcake after without triggering a “I must eat everything” moment because eating naughty foods is still apart of my diet haha and added bonus iv lost 3kg in a short space of time purely cause I’m not overeating and then undereating because I binged to then binge again cycle. Its really worked for me and maybe you too :smiling_face:

2 Likes

The important stuff has already been said by others here.

I‘d just like to emphasise:

1. You are not alone with this issue. Reading about experiences of others on the same journey and sharing yours is the most important part. Don‘t go alone. Get help.
  2. The other step is to start with self observation. Treat yourself like a lab rat or a participant in a study: When do you binge? How do you feel while doing so? Are there triggers? Commonalities? What else comes to mind? A journal is a very good tool. You can share this too if you want.

Wishing you all the best!

2 Likes