I keep dreaming I relapsed

This doesn’t happen every night, but it has happened a few times in the past week. The dreams are very vivid. I feel so horrible in them after I take a few drinks. I don’t know if this is normal or not, maybe they’re based on my own fears…

I’m 92 days sober, and I know this in my dreams as well. When I realize I’m starting over, I get this overwhelming sense of dread. I think of all the people I’ve let down. Last night, I even remember counting how much I drank to try and figure out if it was just a lapse or a relapse…silly, I know, but these dreams seem to be happening more regularly.

2 Likes

Completely normal! When I first started having the dreams I was ashamed and felt guilty. I would wake up freaking out that I had relapsed until I was a little more conscious. My sponsor described it to me as still fighting your alcoholism in your sleep. There is always going to be a healthy fear of relapsing if you’re serious about your recovery. Congratulations on your 92 days! Keep going, I promise it only gets better. It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

During my last relapse that was happening to me.

1 Like

I woke up freaking out, until I finally realized it was a dream. After that, yes, I realized life was still good! :grin:

I’m 358 days sober and had 2 relapse dreams this week, think it’s as I’m getting close to a year, they had eased off, but the year is in my mind a lot, I’m really excited to make it. It’s a horrible feeling in the dream feeling the guilt shame and remorse again, but such a relief and motivation when I waken. They make us stronger and remind us why we are doing what we’re doing.

Keep moving forward, stay strong and stay sober.

2 Likes

I’m 19 days sober and had one of those dreams last week. It’s so unsettling, I can completely relate. Sometimes I even wake up not feeling great, with a headache and have to really think about if I drank the night before or if I’m just dehydrated from the night. This actually happens a lot more than the dreams, it’s equally frustrating.

Congratulations on 92 days :blush:

1 Like

I had a few relapse dreams the first 3 months. Now when I have been sober for 9,5 months I get them regularly and they are more vivid and nightmare like. I know I would never drink again and ruin my sobriety. Very scary and I feel so much guilt afterwards for even dreaming about relapse.

1 Like

Dreams about drinking are normal. I think it’s a positive thing that in your dreams you feel regret. I am the same way.

1 Like

Scroll down the FAQs to a thread about relapse dreams…

(Frequently Asked Questions):

1 Like