I'm on a quest to find myself and fill the void I once filled with my substance use

I find myself very irritable and frustrated because I’m not really sure what my purpose is or how to fulfill this empty that I’m overcome with. Had anyone went through this and if you did, what did you do to find a sense of relief. How do I find a reason to live, so that I’m not sitting idle or frustrated and angry? I want to live a better life and take the initiative to do great things but I don’t know where to start.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat right now. I don’t have any advice to offer but can at least tell you that you’re not alone!

2 Likes

I feel the same exact way!!

1 Like

Fill your time taking care of YOU-- read, meditate, binge watch a favorite or new show, walk, anything to keep your mind on you!! I’m on Day 98 and it just gets better — promise

3 Likes

What you are feeling is a very common side effect especially early on. I felt that way for a few days. If you search you will see lots of posts about those feelings. How long have you been sober from your drug of choice?

It totally makes sense. You just gave up something that you used to reward yourself with. You will come up with better goals but it takes time. They say not to make big changes when you are in this stage so it’s probably best not to worry about coming up with an overarching plan right away.

Stay sober: That’s a goal.

Take care of yourself and reward yourself in new ways:

Keep busy so your mind isn’t trying to plan everything forever.

Make some of that busy time something fun.
http://talkingsober.com/t/things-i-do-instead-of-using/370?source_topic_id=13981

5 Likes

In the doctor’s opinion and says that we are restless irritable and discontent and we seek relief from drinking or using. I found the answer for me to be working the 12 steps. The result of working the12 steps was that I had gotten to know me, and the miracle was that I liked my self. I know that sounds corny. But try it and get a sponsor who has worked the 12 steps with a sponsor of their own. What do you have to loose?

4 Likes

My first week of sobriety, you could smile at me and it would piss me off! I started going for walks and bike rides or stop at the gym and do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I’m only on day 16, but I feel better. Also, i take a complex B vitamin every morning. And like Jomama224 said! Netflix binge, read, plant some flowers, unclog your shower drain (that was my fun Saturday night lol). It’s hard fining yourself sometimes, but it’s worth it!

3 Likes

I find that my purpose is many things and it changes depending on where I am in my life. At the beginning of sobriety…my purpose was to take care of myself and my needs (rest, exercise, nutrition, reading, personal maintenance) Then it moved to getting to know myself by spending alone time (reading, taking walks, writing, creating, meditating) And then I started doing things that I had forgot about or once enjoyed before addiction had taken it away (art, museums, book stores,coffee with friends, going to meetings, helping others, cooking, listening to music, catching up on projects) You don’t need to know why you’re here…but I guarantee you that you have something to share with this world (be it love, compassion, a positive attitude, helping others based on your experiences)

2 Likes