Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone, my name is Shira, 32 years old from the Netherlands. I have a problem with alcohol. The main problem is that I only feel this way after a night of drinking. Two days later I convince myself that there is no problem because I don’t drink every day and the cycle continues…

8 Likes

@t00ts I’ve only been here since yesterday and the support and lack of judgement has got me through a very dark hour already! Stick with it luv. You’ve been through a lot of crap and I’m sure that’s made you stronger than you realise. You can do this

4 Likes

@Shira I’m just like you. You’re not alone. Together we can help break the cycle. I usually fail around Day 4 or Day 5. I’m on Day 3. Chat with us here when you next feel the urge or go do something else to help distract you. The urge will pass and you’ll feel great the next day. Welcome and best of luck. Don’t forget, we are here for you and each other.

6 Likes

Talking sober is wonderful, I totally am in the same boat with what you said, the support is overwhelming… Who would have thought!!! Stay strong!!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d consider myself an alcoholic…but probably teetering towards it. I know I drink more than I should and at best I have definitely gotten into a bad habit of drinking at home. I usually have a few glasses of wine per night or maybe a couple of mixed drink. I’m not getting “drunk” per se…but I enjoy the relaxation/buzz.

I do over indulge occasionally, usually when in a social setting. I know this is not good for my health and as I’m getting older, it’s not helping my weight. I do feel like it’s getting to a bad point, because I crave it and even when I tell myself I’m not going to drink, I often end up caving in. I’m very similar when trying to diet. Lack of will power! So…it’s becoming a problem and I want to stop it before it gets bigger.

Complete abstinence forever seems like a lot to bite off…especially living in Wi where every event involves drinking to some degree.

Just not sure how to go about this…but I know I’m going in the right direction.

3 Likes

Stay strong. 1 day at a time.

1 Like

Thank you so much…I feel really good about making this decision and i hope i can stick with it. I think part of my worry is that in social situations I’ll be getting all kinds of questions/pressure. You are right…I don’t have to explain and I will also try to avoid the unnecessary situations. Thanks again for your support​:heart::heart:

4 Likes

@Augie4 we are a lot alike my friend! I live here in Wisconsin as well so I completely understand about the social influences. Lately I’ve been staying in and avoiding the television. You can do this. I’m not thinking about forever. I just keep thinking about today. That’s all we have for now. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations!! Thats awesome.

Hey there I’m Darcie. Just got this App and have been in recovery for 11 years however I am almost 4 and a half years sober. Born in America and now live in Australia and love it. I have been feeling a little diwn lately but I know this too shall pass! Anyway this looks like a cool App that I have stumbled across. Hope everyone is well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for this app. I am 48. Alcohol is my enemy. My biggest issue is that I cannot just stop at one. Last night I had too much wine, did not sleep well and currently feel crappy. I have noticed that I am drinking more and more. Last Wednesday I stopped until Sunday. I had a glass of wine. Then last night…way too much. I felt so good when I did not drink. I want to continue feeling well. I know I can do this. I had 4 really great days!!

7 Likes

Hey there @dky14 hope you’re well today!! This is a great app and a great community. I hope it will give us all the strength we need on our various journeys!!

1 Like

@queencarole everyone is here for you! I hope you find the strength you need to build on the great 4 days you had!

Hi,
Im Emma. Im 22 years old.
I would not describe myself as an addict as such, I only drink every other weekend and I dont feel reliant on it. However, when I do drink, I make stupid choices that lead to days and weeks of regret and self-hatred. I am not ashamed to admit that I am easily lead by those around me and if drugs are suggested when I am drunk, I usually go along with it. In all other aspects of my life I am a health freak… until I drink that is! And i am a completely different person with a completely different set of views 🖓 onwards and upwards from this point though!

8 Likes

I really relate to you @ElouiseH-1993!! I am very similar. When I drink I have no off switch and make very poor decisions!! I also use cocaine and would say I am a frequent binge user rather than daily user. I am determined to give sobriety a try because I hate the person I become when under the influence! It’s hard when people around you think you’re ‘fun’ or ‘hilarious’!! What they don’t see is the crushing self loathing that accompanies it!! I wish you every success on your journey!!

3 Likes

I could not have put it any better myself @BloodyMary . I am in the exact same situation as you. I have lost count of the number of times I have been through the same exhausting cycle of getting drunk, making poor decisions, using cocaine or another upper, hating myself the morning after, continuing to hate myself for that week and making all sorts of plans in my head to never make that mistake again… only to fail a couple of weeks later. I am so determined now though! Alcohol has to be removed in order for me to succeed. I wish you all the best too! Although I wish you did not go through the same thing as me, it is also quite reassuring to know im not alone. Thank you for your reply!

4 Likes

@ElouiseH-1993 @BloodyMary I’m with you girls; I’m so relieved to find out that I’m not alone in my hideous regret and remorse. All my friends seem to think I’m this brilliant hardcore rockchick and don’t get it when I tell them how awful I feel the next day (and sometimes week).
I dunno how it’s gonna go on my next night out when I don’t get hammered with everyone else…eeek!

2 Likes

@BloodyMary thank you!

1 Like

@Megatron @ElouiseH-1993 we need to make being sober the hardcore party chick thing to do!! I have a few events coming up and my plan atm is to drive! A basic one I know but I don’t wanna tell people my plans for sobriety yet. I know they won’t understand and I’m so weak I’ll wanna save face and end up back to square one!

2 Likes

Wow @BloodyMary I like your way of thinking!

1 Like