Is smoking weed cheating on your sobriety?

Totally agree. I’ve been smoking daily for over 30 years. Day 45 without alcohol. Remember, it’s all natural, grows from the ground as long as nothing is added to it no one could ever convince me that there is anything wrong with it.

6 Likes

Weed makes me not want to consume alcohol which is why I would rarely smoke when I was drinking. Drinking has always been my go to. For me smoking has been helpful in my journey. It has helped with my appetite, stress, anxiety, sleep, and over all mood. I do think all of those things can be achieved without smoking, however I choose to smoke. When I do smoke, I do it in moderation. Definitely not smoking 12 joints in 3 hours like I would drink 12 drinks in 3 hrs. Smoking has none of the same affects that alcohol had on me PERSONALLY. I’ve never smoked and then turned into an angry know it all, or smoked and decided that snorting coke and staying up all night and going to work still high/drunk the next day was a good idea. Smoking has never led to me forget my entire night/day etc., but that is just me. I am by no means telling anyone to start smoking. I do have to say that I feel MJ is definitely helping way more people than it’s hurting. If you’re curious do some research, your mind will be blown. Everyone is different so not everything works the same for everyone. So do what works for you and what feels right. :heart::blush:

12 Likes

@louwho I totally agree.

No, I don’t think so. Not long term, but if it helps you short term…

I’ve heard lots of anecdotal evidence that weed can help, particular in early sobriety (from booze). I not saying that’s my opinion, but as an ex heavy smoker, I never did anything I was ashamed of while stoned. If you’re really into weed, I’d think about investing in an atomiser, because inhaling smoke is really bad for your health, as if we didn’t know!

1 Like

i have smoked in ny sobriety, what i di is make a separate sobertime clock for marijuana and just reset if i decide to smoke to document it. but no i don’t believe it is “cheating.” a drug is anything that alters your natural physiology. so caffiene can be, sugar, high fructose corn syrup…the list can go on and on. and i am most definetly keeping coffee in my life. i believe you should trust your conscience on this one

2 Likes

I live in a state where it is legalized recreationally and I am really lucky to be able to walk into a shop and speak to experts about the different strains and their benefits. I would only recommend this if you have access to someone with similar knowledge because there are a lot of different ways to use marijuana and ones will be more beneficial for alcoholism.

I know a lot of people who used it as a tool to kick the bottle. I in fact used it to start cutting back on drinking before I quit entirely. And i am literally talking one tiny hit at night. I wasn’t smoking to get high, my intentions were to be more sober. I am not smoking either any more though. It all depends on your intentions on if you want to get high or if you are trying to medicate. The relaxation benefits and calming of my anxiety soothed a lot of the reasons I was drinking to begin with. But it was important for me personally be completely sober until I regain the coping skills for every day life.

I guess the important question why you would want to smoke weed. If it is the same reasons as wanting to drink then I don’t think they are different at all.

Weed is seriously keeping me sane through all this. I don’t smoke cigs or chew. Been alcohol free for 13 days the greens are helping me eat and get to to sleep at night.

4 Likes

Yes. Doing anything to change the way you feel is a drug and that is part of our addiction. It took me awhile to accept that. Wish you only the best.:wink::blush:

6 Likes

I think it’s, I am only Of The weed a month but of all other drink and drugs five months, you can not think you are completely clean if you are taking weed at the end Of The day it is a mind altering drug x

1 Like

I believe it is. NA basic text you must maintain complete abstinence from all drugs. Any mood changing, mind altering substance.

2 Likes

Amen to that. Im on day 25. I find my highs to actually be more enjoyable and effective. Cleaner almost. S’nice ^.^. Congrats on your 13

1 Like

That’s true now that I think about it. My body is readjusting and that is making the high more pure. Definitley less anxiety and I don’t need much, just a snap or two and it keeps me level. My appetite has been off so it’s helping me eat. Not sure why I haven’t been hungry maybe the detox. Thanks btw. Seems like since day 10 I’ve been more antsy for a drink. I really just want to get some cbd oil and start using that…

2 Likes

Yeah man ive been telling all my friends i just wanna stick my tounge in the beer, i dont wanna drink it lol. They tell me no :frowning: buncha supportive jerks lol

2 Likes

You got some good people in your corner, embrace that.

1 Like

Its helped me allot.

I don’t think it is. Smoking weed just makes me feel relaxed and sleepy, I’m surprised it’s not legal here yet. As long as your responsible with it and it doesn’t get out of hand I really see no issue with it.

As long as the use doesn’t fit the definition of a addiction I don’t think it’s cheating. (This statement and definition is not perfect but I hope everyone gets the gist of what I’m trying to say.)

Definition of addiction
: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (such as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

1 Like

Having the worst craving for a bottle today. After hours of irritability, pacing in one room, skin crawling and just feeling ready to give up I took a hit of weed.

What I tried first: Urge logs ABC change-plan and other worksheets, taking a walk, reading, music, guided meditation, positive affirmations, Natural Calm supplement, tea, healthy snack, a drive.

Nothing was working and the rage was building. I took a hit of weed and I instantly felt relaxed, read 30 pgs of the book I tried to pick up 6 times earlier today and went back to my motivated “I have no desire to pick up a drink again” rational thinking.
Is weed just another crutch to avoid the feelings I don’t want to deal with? I said I wasn’t going to smoke in case I find a better job. I can’t tell if this is a problem.

2 Likes