Reinstalling the App

My Scottish bro i to didnt fancy AA in the begining but it saved my life i know its not for everyone but i wish you well

3 Likes

treating every day as day 1! that makes so much sense… food for thought- thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks all for the wise words. I’m just back from a restorative holiday where I drank very moderately (if at all). I’m disappointed that I slipped back into my old habit so easily, but I’m not going to beat myself up, because the self reflection has brought me back here and this is exactly where I need to be. As I’m off work I’ve organised some activities this week to keep me occupied and booze free; a friend is coming for lunch, another friend is going to the cinema with me and I plan to book a yoga session on Friday night. I can’t drink through boredom or stress if I have the foresight to stop myself being bored and stressed.

2 Likes

Wine was my drink of choice but my downfall was binge drinking and it didn’t really matter what alcohol it was. I am an atheist too so AA doesn’t really appeal to me even though I know they couldn’t care less if you worship a rock, it’s not so much about God - just that there is a higher power more than yourself to help you. But I can tell you with 100% honesty, I **could not ** continue sobriety without the support of this community on talkingsober. I am on this app every day. I keep on in the background when I’m at work. I’ve connected with so many great people, read so many relatable stories, and posted many of my own stories and thoughts on here and I am pond consistently met with enormous support. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I Myself only went to meetings the first 7mths. My last drink 10/15/12 I went to my first meeting month after had stopped and made it a constant weekly. My good buddy of mine who also had a drinking problem which he never looked to help his. But was always my cheering squad when came home. He would greet me at the door always saying “Wish could go with you buddy.”

Meetings were my weekly thing but I was losing the feeling for them. Sitting with my group of 8 and always just talking about what makes you wanna drink. The whole time knowing nothing would make me start again. It just wasn’t for me anymore. There is one thing l will add my cheering squad buddy killed himself drunk driving alone crashed head on into parked car. 3/8/13. I did bring this to my meeting him passing on a Friday my meetings on Tuesday. I was a mess and everyone would’ve thought I’d definitely drink. It wasn’t happening. My friends passing is my main reason I’ll never go back.

I kept going to the meeting given what had happened to me. But " This is just me" they all talked if things that might make them still need the drink knowing l never would. So rather then become resentful of them l chose to stop going.

Meetings aren’t for everyone if you want to quit and there’s something strong enough to keep you stopped you will. We all have the ability to stop anything. But there are also those things in life that need more attention then others. Best of luck hope you find the something that helps you to stay stopped☺

4 Likes

Well I can tell you that the lethargy does pass…it just seems like it takes forever. I was the same way the first like 2-3 months. I remember feeling very frustrated because I finally was doing everything right and I still felt like crap. You just have to let things run their course. Years of downing alcohol definitely takes its toll on the body and it can take a while for all the toxins to work their way out of the body.

Perhaps doing some research on how alcohol physically effects the body will help you stay strong through early sobriety. Also, there are lots of resources (other than AA) to check out. Smart Recovery, Women for Sobriety, etc. There are tons of resources on this thread:

There are also things you can do at home to keep you on track. This one is my favorite:
https://talkingsober.com/t/great-article-on-how-to-set-up-your-plan-relapse-prevention/5913

Stay strong! Keep checking in! You can do this!

2 Likes

You sound like me talking. Almost word for word. Except the atheist part :slight_smile:

All we can do is try again right? We just can’t give up.

3 Likes

Yes however it doesn’t give you carte blanche to continue down your slippery slope of relapse. BTW, something different this go around, GET and STAY SOBER. If I appear to be a dick it’s because I’m a dick who cares about YOU! Big hugs, Hammer.

2 Likes

Thank you all for sharing.

I’ve had a look at that crisis plan and it’s really useful, thanks for sharing it @MissQuinn. I actually work in healthcare, I carry out alcohol brief interventions with patients and discuss alcohol harm and the Blue Man etc.

I kept busy yesterday, I went to the gym and I’ve arranged some yoga classes to see me through the week. I’m meeting with a few different friends over the course of the week too; one is a relatively new friend I met through work, who began her own sober journey soon after we met. I’ve also got myself some nice cordials to make myself long drinks in the evening and I’m going to work on re-establishing good sleep hygiene - bed and a book at 10pm - if I’m tired then I’ll feed my body the sleep that it needs to heal.

Day 2 is currently in progress :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ive recommended ito much on this site, but read the book “The Naked Mind”. Im 50% through the book and it has helped.
Im also in your shoes, i really could of drank a bottle of wine tonight, but something stopped me.

2 Likes

“The power of Christ compels you!”

I just got the book and am only 4 chapters in but it’s mind blowing how much I relate to Annie Grace and how eye-opening this book is! I love it!

2 Likes

Day 4.4 and it’s really not occurred to me to have an alcoholic drink. I have been practicing my yoga and have found on two occasions when faced with a stress tigger I’ve automatically taken a big deep breath, much preferable to reaching for a large glass of wine!

To the more seasoned users of this site, which is the most appropriate board to post on for support as I maintain, this relapse business is behind me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Day 7. I’d a wee breakthrough last night. I was out and ordered steak for dinner, considered having a red wine with it, one glass wouldn’t hurt I told myself, but when I was about to order it, in the split second between thinking it and saying it, the thought “you’re making a choice” popped into my head and my mouth said “sparkling mineral water” :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Good choice @AdaB.

3 Likes

Whose proud of you? This Irishman sure as Hell is! That’s tellin that filthy Demon He has power over you NO MORE! BIG HUGS! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

14 days AND I went to a family wedding and didn’t touch a drop :dancer:

6 Likes

OH HELL YEAH! Great job !

1 Like

I’ve had a tough couple of weeks. I’m in a new job and felt out of my depth. Emotionally I’ve not been feeling top of my game, not sleeping well. Exacerbated by an encounter with my ex earlier in the week, belittling and verbally abusing me. I’m not going to lie, it occurred to me to have “just the one glass of wine”, but I recognised it for the lie it was. I took time to feel my feelings instead: anger, humiliation, confusion, frustration, shame, sadness. And when those had washed over me, pity. For him, not me. It’s now Friday night and I made a dash to the grocery store this evening for… drumroll… almond milk for hot chocolate!

2 Likes

Great job @AdaB - sounds like you’ve got booze brain sussed out!