Sober 9 days

In my 60’s now. Drank all my life to one extent or another. Alcohol has caused me no end of problems over the years. Went sober many years ago for 18 months. Stress triggers heavy drinking for me. I have a wife with terminal cancer and an SEND son.

Past 2 years things got really bad. Sneaking out to drink at 6am some days and then excuses to go out where more drinking took place.

Now been sober 9 days. Night sweats and dry wrenching have stopped. Stomach very bloated but today seems a bit better(cramps).

Tomorrow could be tough as I stopped a few months back but relapsed after 10’days.

N

16 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Nigel. Congrats on your decision to go sober and congrats on 9 days of sobriety. You made it through the worst of withdrawals. I hope you are taking good care of yourself (healthy eating, plenty of rest, plenty of fluids, some medical assistance maybe?).

You’re here now. You got us. You’re not alone. For me not going it alone has been the game changer between failures in the past and success now. We’re here to help. Stay in contact friend. Together we can do this. Wishing you all success on day 10 and beyond. One day at a time for all of us.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
And congratulations on your 9 days. :sparkler::fireworks::sparkler::fireworks:
Nice to have you join us :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome! Congratulations on 9 days!!! :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Congrats on your 9 days! Welcome :black_heart: Keep going one day at a time, don’t think about what happened last time, friend. Take it one day, one moment if you have to, at a time. Glad you’re here.

2 Likes

Welcome here Nigel,
This app is a big help in my recovery and I hope it will be in yours as well. I’m sober for more then 5 years now. Not to brag, but just telling you it can be done :hugs:
First year of my recovery I was here every day to check in sober. We have a very active thread here and feel free to join it:Checking in daily to maintain focus #64 This thread helped me to stay focussed and I got a lot of support there. Try! You won’t be dissapointed :wink:
And for that difficult day? Your day 10? Come here to vent about it when you feel the stress ore irritation hit, it helps to get the edge off. You can go trough this day because you want a sober life for yourself. I believe in you, we all do! It’s just another 24 houre, you can do it.

Congratulations with your 9 days sober! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

1 Like

I am now completing day 20! Feeling healthier and reached today despite going to two pubs for pre-arranged family meals.

I am taking the approach of trying to re-train my brain and keeping positive by telling myself that I have a CHOICE - I don’t HAVE to drink.

That I have people that rely on me - my wife and son.

N

2 Likes

Nicely done Nigel. Stay in touch when you can!

We definitely are pulling for you sir.