What Do You Do For Self Care

THIS TIME I’ve been sober two weeks. I am trying to integrate a DAILY Self Care plan. I am walking for 40 mins 3-4x a week (bought a fitbit). I also started drawing/sketching for and hour and finish with 20 mins doing some Calligraphy.

What do you all do?

Uploading…

7 Likes

I’m walking too, baby steps till I can run regularly again. :runner:

4 Likes

I build models, fish, kayak, hang my hammock by the river for the night.

6 Likes

@KP001 sounds great. I need a daily care plan, didn’t make one yet. OK, here goes… (I do some of these already, but not all )…

• Morning weigh-in
  • Shower and shave first thing in the morning!
  • Take my daily vitamins & supplements. (I use a daily AM/PM pill organizer)
  • Coffee! (always black no sugar as it was intended)
  • Drink at least 3 full glasses of water
  • Track my calories (I target 1700-1800 daily)
  • Walk or bike for 30 minutes at some point
  • Block off at least 4 hours for productive job-search / skill-building activities, try for more
  • Do something fun or entertaining afterwards!
  • Stay connected with family, and reach out to one other person daily
  • Spend time on this forum - but not too much! :slight_smile:
  • Aim for 6-8 hours sleep (just added)
7 Likes

Boredom is a trigger for me so I tried to keep as occupied as I can. I’m learning American Sign Language and Korean. I crochet blankets, teddy bears, and hats. I use adult coloring books, I read and journal most of my thoughts.
With self care I noticed I was mostly ok as long as I brushed my teeth. If I don’t brush my teeth and put on deodorant first thing I feel disgusting and like I can’t be as strong today as I was.
About to start going to the gym again. Obsessed with my Zombies!Run app and trying to be able to run again without my lungs feeling like they’re shriveling in my body.
I can’t wait to watch my body get stronger. Hopefully my mind does too

6 Likes

I have started drinking a lot of juice, occupying my time with hobby type things, dieting to avoid synthetics and lactose ( I’m intolerant but never did anything about it before) I make sure I get a healthy amount of sleep, and I continuously analyze my behavior to assure that I’m satisfied with my attitude.

2 Likes

I’ve been taking a lot of baths. LOL It is time for me to be alone and with my thoughts. I dim the lights and put on the “plinky” spa music and just unwind. It also just takes up time that I would otherwise spend on the couch drinking. :wink:

I’ve also started sketching. I have no natural talent but I’m getting pretty good at copying another picture I find. I am looking forward to taking a class this spring. Hopefully they can teach me how to draw from my head.

I’m also waiting for the temperature to warm up and the snow to melt. I really want to get out an walk too. I work right by a river path system and it is just loaded with people and geese in the summer months. It is really nice to join them.

3 Likes

What I Do for Self-Care:
(Morning routine)
*Wake up at same time every morning
*Coffee outside waking up with the day
*Read Daily Reflections, 24 Hours, and a devotional
*Pray
*Meditate
*Shower, put on lotion, get dressed, put on body spray, put on makeup if I feel like it
*Take multivitamin and niacinamide with a large glass of water

(During the day)
*Take short 3 minute breaks at work to sit outside and watch the birds and just breathe
*Take a walk if business is slow
*Mindfully eat my lunch without distractions
*Drink lots of water
*Reach out to my sober sisters

(Evening Routine)
*Go to an AA meeting
*Make a nutritious, home-cooked meal
*Take L-glutamine and magnesium
*Read
*Work on my sobriety journal
*Pray of thanks and meditation to fall asleep at a regular bed time

4 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot more, working out, playing my guitar, focusing on learning a new instrument, getting things organized around the house, working on advancing my career, learning routine maintenance tasks (ie changing the headlight bulb on my car), and just working on being an unselfish person (sounds odd, I know). I’ve also been working on being more mindful of my wife, and doing daily things to show her I care about her and am committed to not go back to being a mess.

3 Likes

Also, COLORING BOOKS. I’m not an artistic person, and I’m also somewhat of a perfectionist so coloring used to stress me out if it didn’t look a certain way ha. Now that I realize I can just zone out and let the picture be what it will be, not only will it look good, it becomes very relaxing. Great way to end my days.

5 Likes

@VSue don’t fool yourself…you are very talented. Most artists take ideas from somewhere else. Drawing off of someone else, YOU still drew it, and it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

A lot of healthy food, love New recipes to cook at home, vitamins and supplements, smoothies, water all day long, photography all day every day, walking with husband and dogs most days a week, buying new plants and tending to them, fixing up the house and cleaning, reading, loud music in the car, baths. Looking to add lots more to this list but this is where I’m starting (today is day 51)

3 Likes

Something I found really useful when starting to feel angry/upset/worthless/ any negative feeling is do something nice for someone. Sometimes it’s hard to get out of your mood but I found this useful. Focus on being kind to someone. A small act of kindness does wonders for self-esteem and can help change your focus from negative to positive.

7 Likes

Walking on the trail near home, yoga, meditation, and drawing and painting too. I started the book reading challenge for 2017 offered on Goodreads where you set a goal of how many books you want to read in 2017, and you try to accomplish it. It has been helpful to me as well.

5 Likes

Self care as a single parent is so hard and I don’t have time to do a lot of things like walk, meditate, cook meals I will actually want to eat instead of meals my kids want to eat, etc. But going to aa meetings helps me feel connected and to get out of my own head. And I’m incorporating what I’ve heard over the last 8 months into changing my thinking so that I’m not feeling as frantic all the time.

4 Likes

I love goodreads and I participate in that challenge every year! I made a pretty lofty goal this year and I’m a little behind but I’m optimistic :yum:

3 Likes

I do the Goodreads challenge too. But my books are chosen from other challenges. Last year I did the Book Riot one but I didn’t like the categories this year…so instead I’m doing the PopSugar challenge. I won’t read all the books for PopSugar but I do hope to beat my record on Goodreads.

3 Likes

Me too! Lol @carmen071

1 Like

marvelous!

1 Like

Make sure you take care of your knees!