0.0% 'Alcohol-free' drinks - sober or not sober?

Personally, I’ve found them to be an absolute lifesaver. I have 2 cans a night (as opposed to my usual bottle of spirits) and it kicks that craving to the curb.

Obviously, it could trigger people into craving a higher percentage, but I haven’t found that to be the case for myself.

I’ve seen lots of people say that this doesn’t count as sobriety as they have <0.05% trace alcohol in them (as does ketchup!!), but I’m curious as to what everyone thinks?

7 Likes

For me personally…i dont want to drink so why would i have something that looks and tastes like it? I also wont eat food with alcohol in, i dont want it in my body in any way shape or form xx

12 Likes

I drank for the feeling not the taste. The taste also made me want to smoke cigarettes. I gave up both at the same time so for me I steer clear. As I don’t want to start either again
There are lots of threads on this topic, it’s different for everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Just used the search bar there are lots of posts on this subject, interesting reads.

1 Like

Thank you. Apologies for the duplicate post, I should have searched first.

1 Like

Fair enough, I hope I’m strong enough to get to that point in the future. I’m just using NA beer as a bit of a crutch, I suppose, after a big relapse.
Not great, I know, but it’s much, much better than where I was x

3 Likes

I used to drink 0.0% stuff in my first year of sobriety they helped take the edge off
I’ve also used them at social occasions
I don’t see a problem with them

3 Likes

You are technically sober if you’re consuming NA drinks, A banana has more alcohol in it. I do caution you to tread carefully though. I relapsed drinking those in early sobriety before. I didn’t touch them until well after 1,000 days sober this time, now I’ll have 1 every now and then for example I bought a 6 pack like 2 months ago, I’ve had 1 since then. My key point is that I actually do like the taste of a beer once in a great while, but I prefer other drinks 99% of the time.

5 Likes

Thank you. I do need to be careful, and if at any point I feel triggered or out of control, I will change my plan immediately.

2 Likes

That’s good, and I’m really glad they helped your sobriety too.
I was so worried people would think that I’m not sober because of the 0% drinks, but they really do help (me at least) in the early days.

2 Likes

Was just my take Indi…whatever works for you works! We are all different just on the same journey, sending you love and hugs…you can do this :heart: :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Oh no, I wasn’t upset at all! I appreciate your words. I hope you’re well x

1 Like

Im good thank you :blush:…im still angry with the booze…everything it took from me…what it reduced me to…i have hatred for it but i hope to one day get to a place of indifference to it. Good on you for choosing the good fight, we are all with you :heart:xx

2 Likes

I’ve been sober over 5 and a half years and I’ve drank them loads
As long as they help you stay sober there’s nothing wrong with it

3 Likes

I drank a brand of NA sparkling wine for awhile…so tasty and fizzy! Sadly, it was discontinued. Tho that was good for my wallet and teeth / health…it had a lot of sugar (hence why it tasted so good!). I wasn’t triggered, but I was around 3 or 4 years sober at that time. I am perfectly happy with water anyway, so like I said, saving $. Do what helps you.

3 Likes

I had a couple at my brother’s wedding in October as a social prop and see nothing wrong with them, although I’ve been warned against drinking them in AA (“non-alcoholic drinks are for non-alcoholics”). My friend is 11 months sober and can’t survive without her nosecco! Whatever suits the individual I reckon :grinning:

4 Likes

Someone was chatting on this …maybe last year sometime…If you search this topic youll find a couple threads you may lije to read through.

2 Likes

Agree, avoided a tiramisu for that reason !

3 Likes

Infinite 0.0% drinks or “a bottle of spirits”?

Sounds like you’ve made a good choice to me

2 Likes

For me, it has been a slippery slope in the past.

If I can drink one N/A beer, I seem to convince myself that I can handle drinking one alcoholic beer, and I can’t. At this time in my life, I can’t afford to ever think it would ever be any different, so I avoid it all together.

If it works for you then you do you, but there are inherit risks involved and so it’s not for everyone.

7 Likes