14 months non having a drink, then dating

Hi everyone, Ive been sober for 14 months, then last week I was dating with this pretty girl, on a weekend trip, and not sure how but eventually I accepted a cocktail, Maybe cause I havent the balls to tell her Im an Alcoholic (Ive just tell her that I dont drink)… Maybe thats why she insisted on my drink ( was the last night)
That night I only had 1, but felt so good that reminds me how alcohol can seduce you and make you fall on the “one drink ilusion” taking you and make you an awfull person.
After that I felt kind of sad starting from week 1 again, my ego felt hurt about letting go the “clean” year

Eventually this is a long race and Im back on the track Im starting with humbleness my week. and will talk to the girl ( this or any other) that in fact I have problems with drinking or than Im an alcoholic.

9 Likes

I don’t go around making a point of telling folks I’m an alcoholic. But if I hesitate to tell someone in a situation where there is alcohol around, or in an intimate/friend relationship, I need to remember that 1) it’s a bigger deal to me than to them, 2) my secrets keep me sick, and 3) denial and hiding my drinking almost killed me - I don’t need to deny or hide my sobriety!

Good on you for jumping back on the horse and re-setting. Sounds like you have learned a lot from this episode.

11 Likes

3 great points Dan

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I really need constant reminding about the seductive nature of the disease and all the stories it tells us that just one won’t hurt. Thanks for your honesty. I know it was hard to reset and start over, but it’s so much more sane than living a lie. Good for you!