19y/o Opioid and Benzo Addict

Hi my name is Aidan, I’m 19 from Long Beach, CA. I have experimented with almost every type of drug throughout high school which allowed me to mask my depression and anxiety which was later diagnosed after I sought help. I’ve been through overdoses, close calls with my life, and many hospital visits. The past 2 years of my life I have been struggling with kicking my xanax and opioid addiction. I’m tired of being a slave to these drugs and especially at my age I want to be able to have fun experiences sober that I can remember and look back on. Trying to detox off opioids have probably been the hardest shit I’ve ever went through and yet I still turn back to the pills when I get through the withdrawal period. I am in therapy and am taking antidepressants as well as prescribed anxiety meds but they do not help me when it comes to my drug addiction.
Anybody with any advice I would encourage you to reach out to me because I need help from someone who is going through it like me, or just anyone who thinks they could offer helpful advice.
Thank you for your time and good luck for everyone who struggles with these same demons.

9 Likes

I haven’t tried NA but I am involved in SMART recovery it’s like NA but just through online zoom meetings. Thank you so much for your response.

2 Likes

Welcome Aiden! I too suffer from an opiod addiction. What’s helped me is an intensive outpatient program, in person meetings and this forum. Having a sober network where I can pick up the phone and call someone, has been priceless. I’m 21 months clean but that horrible withdrawal feels like it was yesterday.

3 Likes

Southern Cali is a good place for addiction support but also a great place for dealers to make their money😂 Also to answer your question fentanyl is huge right now in Cali it’s laced in pretty much everything, lots of friends overdosing. Currently Ive been off percs for almost 8 days but I still feel at risk. Thanks for your response though man it means a lot👍

2 Likes

Thanks dalex I’m new to this app how would I be able to direct message you?

1 Like

Click on his avatar and then click message.

1 Like

What’s up Aidan. I am in orange county, so not far from you. 8 days doesn’t seem like much to you, but you’re out of the worst part physically, now it’s time to deal with the mental part. You need to part ways with buddies who are still using, ect. Try to get to some NA meetings, im sure there are a ton in LB area. Reconnect with sober friends, im sure you have some. I started using opiates at 16 and went off and on, mostly on for 25+ years. I wish I could get back to 19 and change all the bullshit I went through cuz of these pills. Don’t fuck up your life, this shit is a dead end and it’s fun and games at first, but you’ll just need more and more, eventually you’ll be using to avoid being sick. I’m lucky I didn’t end up dead, but the more years you use, the more your brain chemistry gets out of whack. I’m sure a lot of kids your age think its cool to pop some pills and chill, but listen to us old addicts that wish we could go back to your age. Its not worth it man, find other hobbies with your life. Get into school, martial arts, weight lifting, anything other than drugs

4 Likes

Thank you Lisa, still figuring out the app so I appreciate the help🙏

1 Like

Wassup Mike, first off I have huge respect for you being able to come back after using for so many years, a true inspiration for me personally. And in terms of cutting off friends that I’ve previously used with, I made that move the beginning of this year. I did notice some sense of freedom from separating myself from those negative social connections. However, the feelings of loneliness and isolation soon set in since I was so used to having people around me all the time even if it was for the wrong reasons. I really think I’d benefit a lot from creating new genuine friendships with people who have been through similar shit and have the same goals as me of living a sober lifestyle. This is something I’m currently seeking as well as continuing my therapy and my mental health program almost with SMART recovery meetings. I’m also aware of my young age which is why i do feel some sense of urgency when it comes to getting my shit together so I can enjoy my 20s without being a slave to addiction.

Thank again for your wise words bro and I hope I can check in on this thread if I’m having struggles with intense urges to relapse.

Best wishes,
Aidan

1 Like

Yes, sir. Reach out whenever. Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders, don’t be wasting it. You’ll meet new friends, who are doing better things with their lives.

1 Like

I used to struggle with opiates then I got put on the MAP program an am taking saboxone now it works really well talk to your psych doctor about saboxone. Stay away from methadone though it’s so addicting. Keep your head up young man theirs help out their.

1 Like

Hello my names Emma I was addicted to herion for 19 years please don’t be another number, I’m 40 now and the worst thing I regret, It wasn’t the overdoses, the prison stays, the selling myself soul for my nxt bag or having kids whilst having addiction, it’s the time I’ve wasted fucking around with this devil, and the end of my addiction I moved over to benzos but make no mistake there worse than herion they really play with your phyce, the older you get the worse it will become, there’s no easy way out but there is a way that for me means no pills drink or drug passes my lips its tough actually it’s hell on earth but benzo and herion addiction is worse, get over the detox part and start building a recovery program I’d suggest na there all over the world I personally like face to face but you can go online there’s one goingv24/7 it called in the rooms look it up. I send you all the courage your 19 get out whilst you can you deserve a goid life and recovery definitely will give you that, stay determined.

3 Likes

Methadone subutex there all extremly hard to come off sweet my advice would be stay clear of both.

3 Likes

Saboxone has been a life saver for me personally it helps curb the desire to use and being it’s a opiate blocker it stops the drug from working I’ve been on it for 4 months now and getting ready to slowly taper off of it. It has served it’s purpose I’ve had to detox on it because the pharmacy was out for 2 days it’s not anything like kicking heroin or methadone. But what ever works for the individual person more power to them I could not do it on my own. More and more the opiates out there on the street are cut with fentanyl and personally that’s a chance I don’t want to take.

1 Like

Suboxone was my hardest WD. The half life is very long so you usually don’t feel WD until day 3 or longer for some. A lot of people are struggling on here now to come off it, so careful thinking it’s not addictive.

2 Likes

Theirs no doubt it can be addictive Mike I use it as prescribed and now that it served it’s purpose and I’m out of that danger zone I’m slowly going to taper off. It’s just an option for those ready to quit and feel they need help. It’s the detox that drives alot of people to use again.

Yeah, I stayed on it way too long. I am not trying to get on you, sounds like you know not to stay on it long and have a taper program lined up.

3 Likes

Please be mindful the withdrawal are 10 x harder than Comingboff herion, so be prepared, get a great support network and help in the community if possible with support, I’ve been messing around with herion and benzos for nearly 20 years it’s shameful to say and I’d pick a heroin detox any day over a subutex or methadone some ppl say methadone is worst than subutex but what I’ve been reading of late there both as evil as eachother to withdrawal from I wish you all the best with your taper.

1 Like

Yeah I know better then to try a maintenance program with it and I’ve stayed at the lowest mg. 2/5 x two times a day it should not be to bad. I was diagnosed with cirrosis a couple weeks ago so that’s another reason to let it go.

Hi Aidan, we dont have the same addiction but we have the same age: i can completely understand what you’re saying about being young and not wanting to have these problems right now, just wanting to live life. I hope you will stay sober and safe so you can enjoy your life to the fullest. :upside_down_face:

1 Like