2 MONTHs sober

I’m two months sober. It’s been really hard to not drink when everyone around me drinks and continues to pressure me to drink. I have never attended an A.A. meeting but I really think a chip would help me stay sober and remind me how far I’m come. I just don’t think I can get myself to attend a meeting do I still deserve a chip?

5 Likes

I won’t speak to AA bc I don’t go and there are lots of folks on here who do who can speak to it much more intelligently than me.

A chip is just a reminder of something you’ve accomplished. If you feel it would help, then get to a meeting and get you one. However, I’d suggest that any momento of significance to you could mark the occasion and serve as a reminder and motivator.

Remember, chips or anything else to mark an occasion aren’t magic. If they help, wonderful, use them. But you kept you sober this long. Excellent work and keep it going!

1 Like

Well…first, CONGRATS! on 2 months. That is huge. I go to AA, and never once recieved a chip from AA. I do have one a friend gave me, and its a helpful reminder of my path. Are you intrested in going to AA. Initially i wasnt going to do AA, wasnt my thing. The day 89 hit, and darn it…i was going to cave. Day 90 I hit a meeting and have been going ever since.

1 Like

Chips really arent all theyre cracked up to be
You can only measure your sobriety on the last 24 hours. Did you drink? No. Great work. Onto the next 24 hours. Good strong sobriety is measured in yourself, not time. I’m around people at AA with 10/15/20 years and they are absolutely miserable in sobriety. Then theres the guys at 5 days/months/years who are fully serene and happy.

3 Likes

Relevant: Sobriety reminder jewelery or something

If a tactile reminder would help, I would think about what would be most meaningful for me as a reminder and go forward with that, it doesn’t have to be an AA chip. Reminders can be another tool in our toolbox.

Why not try an AA meeting for real? I had no idea what I was missing until I tried it myself instead of hearing other people talk about it. A lot of what I thought about AA was refuted by first hand experience.

Two common hangups people have about AA: 1) I’m not religious, 2) I have social anxiety.

1. AA is not religious. Many atheists and people of all different faiths go. There are multiple threads that go into detail on this.
  2. They understand the anxiety of the newcomer. They expect it. I have a significant anxiety issue, and I make it work anyways. At my third meeting, I “looked like [I was] crawling out of [my] skin”, according to another member who I was talking to about my anxiety. My anxiety is highest before I take the first step out my back door to go. It gets better at every meeting. Even if I’m almost devolving into outright panic, it’s still worth it.

Hope some of that helps.

4 Likes

I go to meetings and would recommend checking them out to see if they are for you. Chips are nice, but don’t have magic powers. What is magic is finding people who understand what you are going through and being able to create a sober support network. And working the steps.

I received my 30 day chip a few weeks ago and lost it within 48 hours, which bummed me out for a day, but then I got over it because it is not the physical object that matters.

2 Likes

AA is scary at first, but it gets better. I’ve been going for a month and I’m starting to bond with a lot of nice people. Please give it a try. And keep going even if it feels awkward because that awkwardness diminishes with time. I look forward to seeing my peeps everyday because they inspire me and lift me up.

4 Likes

Great job on 60 days!! I made my own chips. Just drew them up in the computer, printed them out and turned them into magnets for my fridge. Lol

3 Likes

Great idea @Brookiemonster618 :+1:

1 Like