2022 Hiking Club (walking sober)

Beautiful 5 mile hike this morning☀️

22 Likes

I half expect @TMAC and Chief to walk into one of your pictures each time you share them…

5 Likes

Wow, what an amazing place to live!

3 Likes

The summers are brutal but it is beautiful!

2 Likes

I just love the Saguaros :cactus: and the flora down there. I’ll be living amongst the mighty Saguaro soon. Keep posting.

4 Likes

What a great thread, cheered me up to look at your pictures on a Monday morning… I love walking so will contribute. Walking to me is an essential tool in my toolbox. HAPPY walking and hiking…

3 Likes

Good afternoon friends, Snowshoeing to Bowen lookout at Cypress Mountain with sponsor. Great day for exercise!!

We were up above the foggy day. Gratefull :pray::hugs:

18 Likes

Lately, I’ve been walking a few miles to this spot each morning to see the sunrise. It’s a peaceful way to start the day and I never could have done it hungover. Grateful for being sober

14 Likes

Gosh. That’s so beautiful. Heavenly.
I love it.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

That’s so cool being above the fog!

1 Like

I’ve often thought the same… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pictures taken a day apart and only a few miles apart, the first from the tranquility of the valley, with a whisper breeze, the second in the raging wind up on the plateau.

10 Likes

Yea at one time there were a few of us talking about a UK walk in the Peak District. But then covid and lockdowns fucked that all up :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I love hiking and being in nature. When I was drinking, I spent my weekends either drunk or hungover. I wasn’t happy. Now I’m enjoying the things I love :heart: very grateful to be sober

15 Likes

One of my goals this year is to get back into backpacking and hiking and camping. After all, its the only form of exercise I enjoy. I had to replace my gear since last year when I was homeless, my stuff was stolen. Some great advice comes from Liz “Snorkel” Thomas: Whatever size pack you get, you’ll find a way to fill it completely. So get your gear first then get a pack to fit it. My 75-liter was admittedly overkill but it was on clearance and I didn’t know better. (Warning: gear photos ahead).

Teton Explorer 4000 65L pack, with my Clostnature 1-person tent. As for my sleep system, Ozark Trail (yeah, the Walmart brand) 30-degree bag (not pictured) with Klymit Static V insulated pad and OT bag liner.

(Also not pictured: flannel blanket that zips up to a fair weather bag or pad). First aid kit: stuff from the hospital I work at. Anything that’s one day over its expiration date has to be thrown out, even if unopened. So I got tons of gauze, bandages, antiseptic, tape, even an unopened suture kit!

And I found a case for it all, with a white cross and topo map design, at God’s Storehouse thrift store for $1!

(Pictured with “space blanket” for emergencies).
Finally, cooking. Generic mess kit sold on Amazon under various names (this one is MalloMe, same thing available as Gold Armour), stripped of unnecessary parts. Replaced stove that it came with (too narrow for the pot to be stable), to a Caudblor stove. It’s almost six inches wide and comes with an adapter for the more common Coleman gas canisters.

Total base weight is somewhat heavy: around 13 pounds. Or maybe it just feels heavy because I’m way outta shape. :sweat:
Happy trails and have a great night, all!

7 Likes

I was wanting to do Lake Tahoe Trail, but the terrain in Kansas isn’t a great place to practice! I will probably use the Kaw Valley state park (by the Governor’s mansion) in the short term to work on stamina. Kansas has a lot of state parks, but I don’t have a car, and most of them don’t have very challenging trails.

1 Like

Yep, I walk all the time. In fact, it was just last week I walked home with my gear from my camping spot. It was only 3 miles, but gotta start somewhere.

2 Likes

I’m going to miss the desert when I move. I love the beautiful saguaros :cactus:

9 Likes

You leavin’?

My lease is up in July. Im most likely heading up to the seattle area but nothing is for sure. Ive been in AZ for 7 months now. I love it but dont think I will stay

1 Like