26, have been drinking heavily since I was 15

Hi all, my story is a lot like most. Drank heavily in high school and associated it with having a good time. Typical person in college but I couldn’t stop. All my friends moved away and still I found myself drinking every day, chasing those good times because I have nothing going on for myself. I recently had a relationship end out of nowhere with someone I thought I’d be with forever. I immediately turned to drinking to forget about it all and it has a grip on me. I’m ashamed of myself but I started my sober journey this morning. I strive to be better, any help or advice is much appreciated.

6 Likes

I have been trying to quit since 2019. When i quit i got in to depression. Last year i had a blood test and realised that i had severe iron and ferritin deficiency. Apperantly this makes you deppressed and makes you want to drink for some serotonin and dopamin. I advise you to have a blood test first.you know alcohol flushes out all the vitamins from human body.

2 Likes

We share a very similar story, I’m 27 now, lost a 7 year relationship about 3 years ago out of nowhere. I thought I was doing the right thing. Going to work, paying bills, taking care of apartment, living life with my girl. Trying to take care of her needs and make her happy. But over the years me staying up late on the weekends drinking did damage to our relationship. She had enough. I kept drinking. Probably even more, totaled a car, went through a couple different relationships. Then hit my bottom when I looked around and realized everyone was gone and i can’t live with booze in my life and I can’t live without it. I did have a one year relationship at the time when I got sober, so I did have her and my parents, but no one else. she saw me at my worst and stuck by me. I didn’t want to repeat the same patterns as before. So I got help, went to meetings, AA, got a sponsor, working the step. Life isn’t always unicorns and rainbows but it’s much more calm and better than the rollercoaster I was on when drinking. Things did get better, it just takes time and putting in the work on your part. It is possible to have contentment in sobriety but it is not easy. I still struggle. But I can at least look myself in the mirror again and rebuild my relationships with family, my girl, and make new friends along the way. Hang in there. The first 2 months are brutal, but it does get easier if you make it easier on yourself and do the work. Speaking specifically as a young guy in AA who works in the construction industry. Some days are tough when everyone is talking about going out to get beers. I narrowed down the things I find enjoyable in life to alcohol so it is a challenge to change that and find something to give your life meaning again. That is probably the hardest part for me at this point in my recovery. It’s a work in progress. Find other sober people around your age to hang out with. That’s your best shot at getting this to work for you. Welcome to the forum. Hang in there. You got this.

5 Likes

Welcome Wyatt, I’m glad you found us.
I too started at 15. Today is a great day for a day one. So is tomorrow. ODAAT.
This is a great sober community that has helped me a ay sober. One day at a time.
Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

I hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

4 Likes

Thank you all. I’m glad we have a community like this to reach out to. I’m ashamed to tell my family even though I know they know. I reached out and talked to the leader of a local AA group and am gonna start going tomorrow. It’s just hard to feel alone, so thank you all for the advice.

2 Likes

I appreciate the words, I know it’s gonna be a fight but I’m going for it. I know there is happiness out there for everyone.

3 Likes

You already did the hardest part. Admitting you have a problem. Now you can do something about it. Like you, It took me all of my teen and adult life to realize this. We have most of our life to go. Do you want to be sober and happy or drunk and miserable. I try to pick the first option every day and shit has only gotten better for me.

1 Like

Welcome to the group. This group has helped me immensely. It will take effort but you’ll thank yourself.

1 Like