3 years sober and damn proud of it šŸ˜Ž

Hi TS people!
Iā€™m happy to share my 3 year milestone with you all. I celebrated it with my family with a nice dinner in a restaurant.
Iā€™m in recovery since 9 years.
9 years ago I was in a bad state of mind (and body). I was overweight and in a funk with drinking. I was an every day drinker, I started at dinnertime and sometimes earlier when I made dinner. Next morning I mostly could not remember how the day before has ended and how I got into bed. I was an at home drinker so not much people knew about my addiction. Even my partner did not knew how much I drank because I was very good in secretly drinking and hiding bottles.
But then that evening came that I hid my rock bottem. I had enough. This was not the person I would like to be and I knew if I didnā€™t do something about my problem I would end alone/sick/homeless/dead, etc.
I gave myself 1 year to fix it on my own. If that didnā€™t work out I would tell my doctor. So I googled for information about quitting alcohol and found a website (a Dutch one, Iā€™m Dutch) with a forum a bit like this one. I quit with the help of it and stayed sober for 5 years.
Then I thought I could drink in moderation and that worked for a few weeks untill it doesnā€™t.
Drank for a year ore so and it didnā€™t went that bad as it was before but it was bad enough.
I liked myself much more when I was sober. I missed the energenic me, the sportive me.
So found this app and put the effort in it to be a part of it. And when you relapse you still have your toolbox so I knew how to do it again!
So if you read this: you can do it to! Maybe not the way I did it because every one is different and so is your recovery road. But there are much simmilarities as well.
Never give up! One day it will click in, one day you will have your last day one.
Was this day 1 I had 3 years ago my last?
I do not know, I do hope so! But you can never look into the future, you can only stay sober today. So I focus on that.
I know one thing for sure: I havenā€™t drank one sip the last 3 years! :tada::tada::tada:

Thank you all for being my sober peergroup!
Gratefull for this app and the people in it :pray:

Picture of me walking in the early morning a few days ago. A friend saw me and made a picture secretly. This early mornings are one of the best gifts of being sober for me :green_heart:

79 Likes

Youā€™re the best, @SoberWalker !

CONGRATULATIONS :+1:

1 Like

So happy for you, so proud of you C! Forever in your footsteps. Huge congrats. Hugs and love. Thanks for sharing. One day at a time. Hele mooie foto trouwens.
tenor

3 Likes

Huge congratulations! On the three years, and the five that went before them.

crazy-celebration

Thank you for sharing everything youā€™ve learned and for being such a positive, supportive and encouraging voice here! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Huge congratulations! Thank you for your presence and insights here. I am happy for you :blush::pray::tada::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Massive congratulations! So happy to read your journey!

1 Like

Congrats @SoberWalker what a wonderful achievement! You are an inspiration! :heart::cherry_blossom::sunflower::blossom::hibiscus::four_leaf_clover::tulip:

1 Like

Congratulations keep it upā€¦ I too would have had 3 years this year but lost it when covid hit now 8 days back on wagonā€¦I know I can do it again,your story relates to me some so thank-you for sharing that :wink::birthday:

2 Likes

Congrats @SoberWalker !! Amazing and wonderful and courageous and worthy of so much joy and cheeršŸ„³ well done on 3 years sober Xx

1 Like

Hey Buts! Congrats to you! Youā€™ve helped me and do many others on this journey! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1 Like

This is so amazing @SoberWalker, I donā€™t even know what to say!! So proud of you. Thank you for being here and sharing your journey with us. You are an inspiration :heart:

1 Like

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your journey - it inspires those of us on day 8, like me. :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 3 years!! What a journey!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

Congratulations! You have always been such an inspiration!

1 Like

Thatā€™s so great! Thank you for sharing! Lovely photo!

1 Like

Woo hoo! Congratulations Claudia! You have been an inspiration for me since the beginning. When I came to TS, I remember seeing your posts and you had just over a year. I thoughtā€¦ā€œwow thatā€™s a lot of days and I want what she has.ā€ Here we are 2 years later and you stil inspire me. Youā€™re such a beautiful person inside and out. :heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations! What a blessing. I am happy for you and your accomplishment. I have 19 months in 2 days and my life has dramatically changed for the better and I am sure it has for you as well. I hope you have an awesome sober birthday! Lots of love

1 Like

Congratulations on your 3 years Claudia. Iā€™m so glad you are back on TS. I did miss you when you were gone for awhile. You show us every day how this place works. Iā€™m so happy you havenā€™t had another day 1 for three years. Iā€™m so proud of you. I really admire your story and others like you who have tried drinking again and it just didnā€™t work. And now you are back. And you are 3 years sober. You help keep me sober every day my dear friend. Itā€™s a beautiful thing when I see you checking in in the morning before I call it a night :sleeping:
I hope you continue to have a wonderful evening.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Congrats, lovely! Your upbeat, honest, forward-thinking posts have done so much to inspire me! Iā€™m grateful for your presence in this place, and ecstatic to share in your 3 years with you!
Wishing you plenty of happy hiking days and early sober mornings to enjoy them! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Wooohooo Congrats on your recovery Claudia, very happy you have had 3 years free of alcohol and now you work on sugar! Hahah :wink:
You are a huge inspiration to me, thank you for sticking around here and continuing to be a part of the community.
WNTrbf4OIvpDy

1 Like