365 One Day At a Times...after 20 years of addiction

Cjp did it ya’ll

My story - 2023 Roll Call -- Introduce yourself! - #6 by Cjp

Its surreal to wrap my head around this milestone. It feels like its been so long and not that long all at the same time.

So i wanted to give some background…

What i did - dry January 2022…then drank, my drinking got to an alltime low, dry May turned into an everyday commitment not to pick up today. I started with the prodding of an online friend to try aa virtual zooms, then i explored aa in person, found a sponsor did the 12 steps, explored my spiritual side, found a sober community, tried dharma recovery, trying meditation, atleast 3 AA meetings a week…more if i need it

12 steps
For those who rule out AA because of God - DONT. Its a spiritual program not a religious program and if you havent found something that motivates you to stop please give 3 different meetings a try before saying its not for you. What do you have to lose? P.s. an agnostic

Greatest gift ive found in sobriety so far…im truly living and enjoying life

Greatest challenge so far…breaking the habit and denying the cravings early on

In the before times…20 years of active addiction
Low self esteem
Sex with strangers
Cheating on boyfriends
DUI
Shame
Guilt
Chasing the good times of 'ol

Towards the end of my addiction spiral…
Drinking 5-6 days a week
Bingeing a liter of vodka a night
Depressed
100+lbs overweight
Slothful
Angry
Isolating so ppl dont judge how much i drink
Lonely
Fighting with my new husband
Watching Intervention on tv while drinking rationalizing to myself ‘well im not THAT bad’
Would skip meals so i didnt fuck up my buzz
Hungover for days
Planned around my drinking
Stupid rationalizations
Justifying bad behavior
Lost my moral compass

After committing to sobriety one day at a time
Built a program of recovery based on AA principles
Greatful
Positive
Not depressed as much
Only bad moments not bad months
Happy
Real laughter
Better relationships
Lost 60lbs so far
Im motivated again
People like being around me
I feel healthier
I am healthier
Found the joy of cooking
Better sleep
Better mood
Better work
Better person all around
Get to learn who i am as a sober adult
Growing spiritually
Better self esteem
Self confidence
I am a woman of my word again
More money…saved $8,700 in a year

With the help of AA, the 12 steps, AA fellowship, and the TS community I am celebrating 1 year of freedom from my addictions to weed and alcohol. This year has been scary and trying, but the most fulfilling year of my adult life. I look forward to learning more about myself and sobriety in the next year with a commitment to take it one day at a time.

52 Likes

Beautiful, simply that! Hugs to you and your real steel day gal.

5 Likes

Thank you! It kinda feels insignificant staring into the grand canyon but i gotta remember the struggle is real and it is a big deal

5 Likes

Congratulations! It’s great to read about your journey and how you got here! Enjoy you special day and your vacations :sunflower::tada::upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I can understand this feeling all too well! :blush:

Loved your share, your beautiful sunrise pictures, and hopeful/joyful outlook! So happy to have accompanied your journey so far and looking forward to seeing what comes next! :heart:

3 Likes

If i could love this post a million times i would, i am beyond happy and proud of you! I also want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the help and support youve given me on my own journey, you truly are a diamond, my love to you, youre a true inspiration :heart:

5 Likes

Well done ,you know me im mr AA glad your getting to meetings ,doing great wish you well

5 Likes

Beautiful CJ.
Very well put.
Congrats again.

4 Likes

Huge huge congratulations, enjoy your celebrations with the girl gang :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Fantastic post and what a way to celebrate!
Congratulations! :partying_face: :tada:

3 Likes

You are amazing! Well done and well said! :bouquet:

3 Likes

What encouragement you give. Nice pics too

3 Likes

This is so wonderful to read!!! Congratulations on your year!! So very very much to be proud of!!! :heart:

3 Likes

You are an inspiration!

Congratulations and happy birthday

3 Likes

You picked the right environment to celebrate such a grand occasion! Huge congrats dear Lady!

4 Likes

That is absolutely awesome! Thanks for sharing and well done! :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I couldnt be more excited to see this! What a beautifully written post full of experience, strength, and hope. I love u lady! Im soooooooooooooooooooo proud of you!!!:rose::hibiscus::blossom: sending virtual flowers to u!

5 Likes

Amazing!! 1 year sober is definitely something to acknowledge and celebrate :partying_face: well done CJP. Hard work but you’re doing it! :blush:

4 Likes

I can’t love this announcement enough. Thank you so much for sharing your story, both before and after. Incredibly. I’ve been inspired day in and day out by you.

4 Likes

IMG_5458

Congratulations! You are such an inspiration!

7 Likes