4 days sober ❤️

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi to everyone and share my story. I am currently 4 days sober. It’s been a hell of a few months and I have been on and off the wagon more times than I can count … recently there was a horrific terrorist attack in my home city and it sent me off the wagon again… I decided to go into respite for a few days and have come out today feeling strong and empowered by being surrounded by such amazing people but also scared this may not last… how does everyone try and make that voice in your head telling you to drink go away ?? Any advice is welcome XX

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Sarah :bouquet:
That voice is one of the reasons why I got sober in the first place. I wanted my thoughts back! No little voice in my head! I hated it!
Today I’m 189 days sober and I hear that voice seldom now.
The first few weeks are difficult because of detoxing and finding a new balance mentally and physically. But you can do it! :facepunch:

Here are the things that helped me so far:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

I wish you well :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the well wishes… and all those little things I have just written down to keep with me so I can remember when I need too… I think the hardest thing is that I have anxiety so it’s battling that while also not taking a drink to calm the anxiety for a brief period!! Any advice is so so welcome… well done on how long you have been sober that is absolutely incredible :heart:

1 Like

Hi and Welcome.
That voice is a bit of a persistent little bugger isn’t he?!
I have had several mental battles with him. You just have to be strong and shout it down!
The more you flex your sober muscles the stronger you get and the easier it will get.
If you haven’t already, search the app there is plenty of advice on how to deal with urges and other things that have helped.
It’s a hard battle but you can persevere!

3 Likes

For me I couldn’t stop on my own for more than a few days. I ended up rehab (3x) and it was exactly what I needed. 30 days being isolated from the world and focused on recovery gave me the jump start I needed to start going to meetings and working the 12 steps. Rehab got me sober, AA and my version of a higher power keeps me sober.

1 Like

What happeded at your city?

Mosque attacks, I assume.

1 Like

I can relate, not to the terror attacks, but to catastrophe. We have devastating flooding in my area. So many of my friends have lost their homes, possessions – for some, their livelihood. The fact remains that whether I drink, or not, those losses are still real. They aren’t going to change. Only I further suffer.

1 Like

Ye it was… it was just horrific :frowning:

1 Like

My father was born in Christchurch. I am first-generation American. XXOO