4 months sober and stuggling

I’m now four months sober I’m tired of this I’m having cravings so bad I been keeping myself busy tho

10 Likes

Keep in contact with members here. :muscle:

1 Like

Open this app/forum whenever you get a craving. Seeing my counter and interacting with the good folks on here helps curb it every time :heart:

2 Likes

What have you been doing other than not drinking to grow in your sobriety? Have you been engaging in sober activities and hobbies? Have you made any non-drinking friends? Have you meditated on the good things in your life that have come with sobriety, or do you focus on the things you believe you are missing out on?

2 Likes

You are struggling now in this time, but think of the bigger picture, think about how much of a waste of time It will be to pick up that first drink, how it will be a waste of your money, your time, your peace and your well-being… you deserve to be healthy and happy and you know this already giving that you have made it to four months. I hope since you posted you managed to avoid the cravings and get through them. Please check in and let us know how you are.
Take it from someone who go a good stretch and took a drink again the regret I feel is so strong.
I wish I was still in a place where I was when I had a good stretch at sobriety. My mental health was stable, I was happy, content, and I seen everything so much clearer.
You have that now please reflect on your past before throwing away your hard earned four months.

2 Likes

The cravings are all mental at 4 months. Do view alcohol as something you’re deprived of? Unfortunately alcohol is glamorized in large parts of the world.
The reality is alcohol deprives us… people do stupid things when under the influence. We fight, we drink and drive, we sleep with ppl we normally wouldn’t. Try to see that shit for what it is, shit.

7 Likes

Hello @Nao! I am almost at my 4 month journey, so excited to hear you are as well. It is a lot of work, isn’t it? So worth it, in my mind. Every morning I wake up and kinda crush on this new me. She rocks!

I don’t know about you, but dang, support was my biggest tool. Our thoughts are our own worst enemy… This quote came to me yesterday and it hit home for me.
I hope you have a good support system, and if not
currently there with your friends and family, then I would suggest you make this a focus for yourself.

I personally find that my low days can be made easier when I have sober minded, supportive people around me. Sometimes they are blunt and sometimes they are just there to listen. But always with no judgement and with complete validation that its not easy, but it is worth it.

Again, cravings aside, because at the end of the day they are just thoughts…you are crushing it at 4 months!

Resources for our recovery

10 Likes

Congratulations on your 4 months Naomi! That’s awesome.
It’s always a battle. Isn’t it? But so worth it.
I didn’t really get “the urges” but I did romanticize about drinking nice bottles of wine. Use to drive me crazy. Especially in the early successful months where I had made some great sober time. I finally figured out to change up what I’m doing. Like I was all excited to listen to my Christian music one day and take my walk but I keep thinking about drinking wine sometime in the future. I was almost done my walk and it suddenly hit me. Try changing the music you’re listening too. It almost worked instantly. I walked the last quarter of a mile home without thinking of drinking. It might be different for urges.

I also got my mantra. “I’m not drinking today! And I’m probably not drinking tomorrow.” And sometimes my only job for a successful day is not to drink.

Like some have said. Come on here. Check in. Have a chuckle on the memes thread. Look at pet pics. Join in and offer up what works for you on a check in thread. Go to the Daily Gratitude thread and read what we are all grateful for when we are sober. Join in if your willing.

And of course you could go to a meeting. Or check one out on line.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Craving what? To feel that guilt, misery, helplessness, sadness, illness and more? For a moments relief? 4 months is an amazing achievement. But it can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Sit down, refocus your mind in what made you stop and write down pros of using and cons of using.

You’re doing so so well. Do not give in to this bitch of an illness :pray::heart:

7 Likes

The obsession didn’t leave me for over 5 months. Picking up was always on my mind and it took a lot of commitment and effort to stay clean. Somethings I found useful were…

• getting outside
  • being creative ( cooking, painting, diamond art for example)
  • reading recovery literature
  • going to meetings
  • reading this forum
  • playing games with my family

What helps the most is the acceptance of impermanence. Nothing is concrete; not your feelings, not your thoughts it is all fluid. After being so used to getting stuck in my own head and my feelings, this gift of impermenance was huge for me. You have been gifted it too, just hang on it gets better.

:heart:

6 Likes

How are you doing, Naomi? Did you get a chance to read all that wonderful advice posted above? Did the feelings pass?

2 Likes

I noticed a pattern to my cravings - anger, wanted a drink, disappointed, I wanted a drink. As soon as I identified the feelings I was trying to numb, I would talk it out with friend or therapist. Got easier over time. My first reaction was not to drink but to embrace the feelings.

3 Likes

I’m almost at four months too, and struggling today… This feed helped. Thank you everyone

4 Likes

I think they were triggered because it’s summer and I’m remembering all the summer nights I had drinking

2 Likes

I try and use this community as support when I really need it

1 Like

4 months! You’re doing so well! Now that the honeymoon (haha not even close) phase is over, you have to reaffirm why you chose to stop drinking. I bet you have good reasons. Sometimes when I am really craving, I pour a glass of kombucha. It must be the natural fermentation that helps, but i like it. I sip it and think of all the reasons why this is better than alcohol. Then it usually passes.
Keep putting the work in, you’re doing great :white_heart:

3 Likes

I just reached 4 months this morning, and I have been remembering the times I thought I was having fun with alcohol lately too.
My husband and I went to a Japanese restaurant last night and everyone was drinking and they had lychee sake on the menu. I was telling him how perfect that would have been with the meal we had, and honestly analyzing for weak spots in his resolve for us to not drink - we had lemonade. It was so tough. A part of me didn’t want to break my stretch and another part of me was thinking, “What could it hurt?.. it’s just one…”
I thought by now I would be mentally in the clear, and it just shows how strongly alcohol had a hold of me. I’m just frustrated that I still have this battle.
End rant.

4 Likes

Congratulations on 4 months. I know that struggle all to well. The pain from what made me finally say, enough is enough, is starting to not be so painful. Now I find myself having the “fun times” thought creeping up. I have managed to not give in but I know I’ll deal with this for a pretty long time. I hope someday the urge will be gone for good but I won’t hold my breath. I just know I’m far better off sober than I am drunk and that’s what happens every time I drink. I get drunk! I just can’t do it anymore

1 Like

I was exactly the same - every time I drank, I didn’t know how to stop…and I think it’s difficult to accept that. That’s especially true when people seem to not have the same issue - I don’t want to feel like something is wrong with me, or that I am “behind” everyone else in my capabilities. Sometimes, I feel that admitting I struggle with alcohol is saying that I am not equal and, in fact, less than everyone else.

1 Like

I try not to think that way anymore. The fact of it is I have an allergy to booze. When I put it in my body I I trigger the allergy and am unable to stop drinking. I will never be able to drink like a " normal" person. As long as I continue to believe this, which btw is the truth, I am going to live a good life. I didn’t ask for this nor do I deserve it anymore than someone deserves cancer. Sometimes things happen to people and we just don’t know why. I am grateful I finally stopped believing that next time it would be different. It’s always the same. Maybe not the first time or even the first month or two but eventually it will be as bad if not worse than the last time. I’m tired of ruining my life over a lie. Im just tired of being alone tbh. I wish that part of all this was different. Hopefully in time that will get better as well. I know if I drink I won’t have a prayer of having any kind of a good relationship

2 Likes