6 Days Sober......AGAIN!

I’ve relapsed for years I’ve tried AA for years, not really for me. I am however totally sick and tired with drinking. I no longer enjoy it. The hangovers became so monstrous that the early morning drink became a necessity. And even then when I drank all day I felt like shit, no energy, no drive to do anything. Sober now six days after yet another relapse. Joined this App looking for support.
Anyone up for it. I’m in the north of Ireland :shamrock::ocean::cactus:.

10 Likes

Welcome to the TS community, Terry!

1 Like

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

Welcome Terry and congratulations on your 6 days. This has been a great sober community for me to stay sober.
Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

2 Likes
1 Like

Hey Terry, Matthew here from Dublin :shamrock:. Loads of support here and thats one of the keys to recovery.

Reaching out, asking for help and try to stay humble, honest and connected. I have found that when i do things my way, allowing my head to dictate my actions it doesnt work out too well.

I am in the felowship of AA and for me i had to first understand what it meant to be powerless over alcohol…i tried so many different ways to stop and i did manage to stop but could never stay stopped and everytime i relapsed it got worse. I wanted to drink my way and stop drinking my way, it doesnt work like that but i had to suffer to find that out.

In the end, i couldnt function with drink or without it. My body craved it then rejected it and i was physically dying. I knew what powerless meant when after a 2 week stint in hospital from alcohol abuse and problems with my liver i still thought i could drink my way and relapsed again.

Thats when i finally got honest. I realized im not in control, i stopped blaming other people and things. I got humble and started to have a good look at myself.

Recovery from Alcoholism isnt done by simply stopping drinking. Its a journey of self discovery. For me the desire to drink was lifted when i understood that i was seeking escape from who i was and how i felt and i realized in fact it was a learned behaviour…seeking escape. So was people pleasing, low self worth, fear of rejection, abandonment all of this was at my core and i didnt even realize it. Id carried this from early childhood, alcohol just became my ulitmate escape when all of these defects played out in me later in life.

I didnt know i was spiritually or mentally sick until i got physically sick and began to look at self. Only then do we realize alcohol isnt the problem, it was a solution until the effects became a problem. The real problem is within self. The best part is so is the solution, guided by the 12 steps of AA i have managed to start that journey of recovery.

If AA isnt for you, i started by having a look at myself. Who am i

2 Likes