7 days cigarette free

Trying to quit smoking cigarettes yet again. On 7 days today. I didnt want to make a post until i knew i was going to give it a solid try…
Anyone else quitting/attempting to quit tobacco?

27 Likes

I quit over 10 years ago. It sucks but probably the most important lifestyle change I’ve ever made.

Just one day at a time buddy. For me, I can honestly say I haven’t had an urge to smoke for probably 6 years or so now. I consider myself totally free of the addiction because I just don’t crave it at all anymore.

I was a 20 a day person too, maybe double that when I was drinking. I didn’t fuck about when I was smoking.

Stay strong and know that it does get much much better to the point where it’s just not a thing anymore.

Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks @kipper I have tried numerous times to quit since iv stopped drinking but never really gave it a real try. Here’s to week one! lol

3 Likes

It took me a good few goes too. The way i thought about it at the time was that smoking only takes.

With booze, at least you get to have a good time when you’re drunk. It’s just the sober consequences that are a problem.

With cigarettes, there is nothing positive at all except fulfilling the craving. To me, that was a bullshit reason to risk my life and wallet.

Edit:typos

2 Likes

Congrats! It is a tough one, but doable for sure. I quit 9 years ago, was a pack or two a day smoker for 30+ years and for a year after my husband died I smoked 4 packs a day…ouch…not cool.

Lots of water, walks, mints mints mints kept me going. Just keep quitting was my mantra. Eventually it stuck and MAN, talk about LIFE CHANGING …it was amazing. The biggest time suck ever for me. Life is so different now and it allowed me so much freedom to be me.

I wish you warrior strength and great success. :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

4 Likes

stopped 30 years now waited a year after i got sober then quit 60 a day full strength Capston no tipped for me ,

2 Likes

It’s out of your system! Usually takes 3 days and you’re at a week? From this point on it’s all mental. I also quit smoking back in 2009. What a difference between quitting cigarettes vs drinking. Alcohol is a jerk!!! The thing that helped me with cigarettes was acknowledging the crave for what it was then told it to kick rocks. It’s all mental at this point and breaking the routine. Technically you quit! So now it’s a matter of not starting again.

2 Likes

I had my first cig at 9! Fucking 9! At my heaviest point, i was smoking a pack and a half+ a day. A few years back, i lit one , and it tasted horrible so I quit being a daily smoker. After that, I was only smoking while drinking. I have now had one cigarette craving since I stopped drinking. I was 86 days In. I took a drag, almost threw up, and gave the rest to my husband. But, I smoked heavily for almost 20 years. Yuck! Good luck, buddy! You are obviously strong enough to try and beat addiction, so this should be a cake walk. :wink::laughing::joy:

2 Likes

haha idk about a cake walk @Ashley_Sampson,
but thanks for believing in me :smiley: wow 20 years and you quit, that’s incredible. Cigarettes give me intense alcohol cravings sometimes so i feel its best i just avoid that all together lol

3 Likes

Cigarettes and alcohol go together like peanut butter and jelly. In every way. Ingesting poison is yucky, but you don’t need me to tell you that.

2 Likes

Friend gave me a cigarette during a concert I went to tonight and I put it behind my ear and forgot about it til now, going to throw it out. Cheers to 8 days.

7 Likes

I gave up cigs for 22 years, then like a total plonker I started again 3 or 4 years ago, I thought I could have a couple at weekends in the pub…Nah that ain’t happening the cigs said to me, you’re going on 20 a day :joy: Ive had 30 odd days off them now. Last time and this time I stopped cold turkey, but each time I put some prep in by smoking 30 or 40 cigs a day so that the thought of smoking makes me feel like vommitting :neutral_face: Seems to work for me!

1 Like

You’ve definitely broken the physical addiction’s back now! Well done!.

just remembered something that really helped me. I didn’t use patches or anything but I got some of that nicotine gum.

I didn’t use it regularly, but when the craving got severe I chewed a piece of that - not because it got rid of nicotine urges, but because it tastes like you’re chewing on used butts from a dirty ashtray once the mint taste wears off. This was an instant reminder for me of all the reasons I quit. I forced myself to keep the gum in my mouth and keep chewing until I felt nautious.

It sounds weird but that gum just tastes really really unhealthy, like when you have a cold but are a smoker and it just destroys your throat and your lungs feel like theyre made of 99% phlegm.

This instant reminder of all the bad things smoking does really helped keep the urge well at bay.

I never think about smoking anymore and haven’t don’t for years and it had it’s claws in me deep. You can get to where I am! Just keep going.

3 Likes

I really want to stop smoking, but have a feeling its going to be a lot harder than quitting drinking

1 Like

Day 8 down the drain. On to day 9 :muscle:

6 Likes

Nice one :facepunch:

1 Like

Well done @Steve92!

1 Like

Well @Steve92. I’m with you on giving up nicotine. But today marks first full day for me. I waited for my 9 month mark to add this. I have not quit in over ten years so it’s going be rough.

4 Likes

@Chad_R let’s do this thing together my man.

2 Likes

You guys are going to feel great, soon!

1 Like