7 weeks down the drain

I went 7 weeks without a drink, did it alone because no one knew i was drinking again then last night i went and brought wine & fags :pensive:
I’m hanging today and so so dissapointed in myself
Worst of it i spent my last bit of money on that then online bingo because i was drunk and didn’t really care!!
I have no one to talk to at home hence my vent here, im just so upset with myself because i reverted back to old ways after doing so bloody well

5 Likes

Get over the shame.
Alone we are half the person we can be.

9 Likes

No worries Munchkin. I am doing this alone aswel but find reading these forums a big help and it gives me the feeling I am not alone. I am in the same situation as you are. If people find out I been drinking again I have a hudge problemen!
But here I am. Back at day 4. Had to reset. But I am confident we can do it and you can aswel. Take the sorrow, feel bad for a day and restart. You know you have it in you to succeed.

5 Likes

You should not see it like you wasted those weeks. You spend 7 weeks being sobera dn you should be proud of that. Hell, if i could be 7 weeks sober I would be really proud already. Of course your action seems like a horrible experience now for yourself, but do not be too hard on yourself. It is very normal people experience difficult moments and sometimes this leads to bad choices. You clearly understand your bad choice and feel not happy about it. Use that frustration as something positive and turn it into focusing on the next 7 weeks of being sober. You are your own biggest opponent and do not let your weak moments decide how you are as a person, but create a more strong mental! You can do it

4 Likes

Thank you all, i am proud of how well I’ve done but its the hangover guilt today i think. I’ve hit the reset on here an I’m back to 20 odd minutes :pensive:

5 Likes

Thats very understandable, but look forward to the coming sober weeks instead of blaming for 1 mistake. You admit your mistake and the guilt you feel just means that you care a lot and know what is the right thing to do. Now just believe in yourself man :+1:

2 Likes

Get back up and reconfigure what you plan to do.
Have you thought of some sort of program?

3 Likes

These words came to mind because i have been where you are.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Beckett

We dont have to fail but we very often do when it comes to this disease. Dont let one night overshadow 7 weeks sobriety AND whatever you do don’t use your failure last night be the reason you drink today or tomorrow or ever.

I let that guilt take over my recovery once and it took me over two years the “try again”…two years wasted and more damage done.

Good luck with this. Stay strong.

7 Likes

You’re here. You’re quit. That’s all that matters today. I’m happy to see you. We do it together. Success.

2 Likes

Not really no, because no one knows its difficult for me to get outside support.

Is getting outside support more difficult than relapsing? If you keep doing it alone you are probably going to get the same results, relapsing every 50-60 days. Now if that’s fine for you by all means keep rocking it. But if you are looking for something more you are going to have to do more.

5 Likes

As @Englishd says. It’s not going to work if all you do is stop. The voice, the addict part of you will always get through in someway.
You need accountability. At least!
You joined in October yet only have 3 hours read time.
The stats prove that the people who interact with this app can stay sober. It’s worked for me.
At the beginning, I was on here every spare minute. Reading, learning about what I can expect, from people who have been through it.
I’ve got the big book, I’ve gone to meetings I’ve embraced my sobriety with an open mind. Willing to try anything if needed.
I’ve also been open and honest with my loved ones.
Basically you gotta do what it takes.

8 Likes

I am so sorry to hear how you are suffering, friend in recovery. I remember that phase of my journey really well because it was so painful .Until I let the people closest to me know how I was suffering with my addiction, I could not stay sober for more than a few months. I personally needed a lot of support from people in multiple different roles (parents, sponsor, individual and group therapist, psychiatrist, rehab staff…) to stop and stay stopped. It was mortifying to reveal my secret (I also had convinced people I had already quit for good…several times…) but when the outer and inner wreckage of my inability to free myself alone was bad enough I finally opened up and accepted help. Even confiding in a single person who has your best interests at heart, or seeking any kind of professional support, might help you transform from someone who is unable to stay stopped to someone entering long-term recovery.

All I know is that I was sick and getting sicker while I kept it a secret, and since I accepted help from others (sober loved ones and professionals) I’ve been getting healthier and more stable every year. Take the best care of yourself that you can and stay open-minded to the possibility of support where you live even if connecting with this forum is all you can do right now. Much love from a sister in recovery.

5 Likes

You did great for 7 weeks; focused on that huge accomplishment and continue on!

3 Likes

There are times when others can see the obvious more clearly than we can ourselves. Whatever you were doing for 7 weeks kept you dry for 7 weeks. The result was picking up again, and I’d bet that was because you decided that the way you were feeling without a drink was intolerable.

If that’s OK with you, as @Englishd suggests, more power to you. If you want long term recovery with serenity and peace, there are some of us here who would be happy to tell you what we did, how we got there.

I don’t know anything about your drinking. I know that when I thought that no one knew I was drinking, I was dead wrong. Everyone who met me knew it. Accepting that fact was crushing to me. I hope you can use that same sort of awakening as a catalyst to change your behavior about getting help.

Blessings on your house :pray:.

3 Likes

Maybe think about coming on here at least 3 or 4 times a day. Read about how others overcome. Gain support. Give support. Learn about the sobriety plans of others, what works and doesn’t work for them.

Experience is learning from one’s own mistakes. Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others.

Perhaps you should try to be wise, rather than experienced

7 Likes

I’m learning that relapse seems to be part of recovery. It’s a learning experience like everything else. When I have to hit the reset button, i try to write down in as much honest detail as possible why I chose to use again. Then I add that reason to my list of triggers and reasons that I review daily.

1. 7 weeks is really good. Well done. It isnt down the drain.

2. To be honest and share your relapse takes strength , well done.

3. Think carefully about the pain of your shame. Now compare it to the pain of the required discipline to abstain. I think the anger/ craving/ itch that comes with the desire might be easier to take, if you can try to remember how awful it feels later.

2 Likes

most of us relapsed many times before it stuck. today is a new day. drink plenty of water, eat something nutritious and if weather permits, take yourself on a nice long walk. deep breathe the air in your lungs all the way down to your belly and remind yourself that you’re not alone in this journey. x

3 Likes

Just think, in 7 more weeks you will have only drank 1 time in over 3 months. That’s so good. I’ve spent this past year slipping up over and over but getting stronger each time. I did the math and I spent over 6 months of 2019 sober. Rather than focus on the slip ups, I’m going to focus on my 6 non-consecutive months as the foundation upon which the rest of my life will be built.

Hang in there! 7 weeks is no joke.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that you are struggling,but it’s done now let it go aknowledge it and let it go,ask yourself what you are going to do different next time,tbh I think you need to get to a support group n.a as smart recovery you can even do it online,as you are aware now doing it alone will lead you eventually back to old thinking.day 1 today you can do it you know you can you already have.best of luck here’s to day 2 tomorrow.xx

2 Likes