8 Days Sober for the first time in I don’t know how long

I just downloaded this app today. I am 8 days sober for the first time in probably nearly 3 years. I never was the person who drank. I was usually the DD because I didn’t see the point in getting “drunk”. On 10/10/2019 I got married to my wonderful husband. On 10/10/2019 my destructive mother ruined our wedding. Not because she didn’t like my husband, she loves my husband. She especially loves that he’s a doctor and will be making money. She ruined our wedding because she couldn’t stand not being the center of attention. I remember being in my dressing room in my wedding dress face down on the ground hyperventilating because of the text she was sending me 2 hours before I was supposed to walk down the aisle. Calling me a POS, a brat, not worth it, and more. My soon to be husband and I’s friend came upstairs to try and comfort me since him and I had grown up together as had him and my husband. The first words he said to me was “it’s completely normal to have cold feet”. This baffled me…the last fear on my mind was marrying this man, I knew that was the best thing to ever happen to me in my life. My fear was “what is my mom going to do at the ceremony”. After 10/10/2019 I went through 6 long months of absolutely deplorable text from the woman who considered herself my mother. I began drinking. 2 weeks after we got married my new husband had to leave for 2 months on a medical rotation. I was heartbroken, in shambles from this wedding that I paid for in full myself being ruined, my husband being gone, and being harassed daily. I began to drink a bottle of vodka every 2 days. It took me 2 years to get off vodka just to switch to seltzer’s. I’ve been drinking about 9 a day since. Today I am 8 days sober. I’m excited…and I’m terrified.

12 Likes

This place has been great support. You got this!!!

1 Like

What a heart wrenching story. Welcome to the community! You’ve found a wonderful group of people who are committed to helping each other. I’m glad you’re here!

3 Likes

Great job on the 8 days! Keep in touch with everyone around here and you will be on the right path!

1 Like

Welcome to the group Kaitlyn, stay connected! You’ll find tons of support and information over here! :wave:t2:

1 Like

I’m so sorry your mom behaved that way. It’s awful. :cry: I’m glad you’re here now. You deserve to be happy and healthy. The first thing I did was read the stories of others here. It helped tremendously to know I wasn’t alone. :purple_heart:

Here are a couple links to get you started…

1 Like

Great job 8 days!! Keep going your doing amazing you’ve got this and we’re all here to support you :slight_smile:

1 Like