A bit of good news for me and to give hope to others

Im just under 17 months into my ongoing sobriety journey…for the first year or so i concentrated solely on staying sober and adding as many things to my sober tool box as possible…id had a niggling worry since getting sober about how all my drinking may have affected my health so this year so far ive been concentrating on my health…i went to my gp and explained very honestly about my drinking and my subsequent worries and basically asked if i could have a full health check to check as much as possible…blood checks, urine,stool , not a comfortable thing to do…knowone likes getting and waiting on test results but i pushed myself to do it for the greater good…so, everything came back normal apart from b12 and folate deficiency which ive now had treatment for, blood was found in my urine which im waiting for diagnostics for and some bowel issues that ive just had a camera investigation (sigmoidoscopy) for this morning and thankfully that has come back completely normal…my cholesterol was found to be high, blood pressure on the brink of high so ive been following a low cholesterol diet and managed to so far lose a stone which has lowered my blood pressure to normal range, still waiting to have my cholesterol re checked but fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

It wasnt until this morning when i was at the hospital answering questions before and after my procedure with the nurse that i realised how far ive come now with my health/sobriety…she said so Kelly in 17 months youve completely stopped drinking, lost a stone in weight, lowered your blood pressure and now you have the all clear from your sigmoidoscopy, i was like…hell yeah!!

If i can do it people, you can!!

45 Likes

Great news Kelly. I’m so happy for you. I bet you can get that cholesterol down too. I really got to work on mine again as I been slacking November and December Holidays. I’ll be getting rechecked last day of January.

And doesn’t it feel great when they ask how much you drink and you can say zero. Nada! Nothing!

Good for you girl. Keep up the great work and thanks for the update.
:pray:t2::heart::hugs:

7 Likes

Thank you so much dear Eric, yes im getting the cholesterol checked again soon so im really hoping ive done enough to have it back in the normal range, it does feel so good when you can say you dont drink at all…she looked surprised so i explained why, im not ashamed of it anymore…its been replaced with pride for being sober.

Im sure you will get back on track with the Cholesterol Eric, i have every faith, thank you so much for the well wishes. So glad im on this journey with you. :heart: :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Way to go on your journey thus far. Love seeing you grow @Starlight14

6 Likes

Aw thank you CJ, life IS good :blush:

3 Likes

What a good news story Kelly :heart_eyes: A nice bit of positivity to go in to the weekend (and 2024) with.
Well done on tackling your health this last year in such a proactive way. It’s really paid off. You must be both proud and relieved. X

1 Like

Oh thank you Louise, i really am both proud and relieved …still some ongoing stuff but on a whole this is all very positive, hope you are doing well lovely :heart_eyes: :heart: :people_hugging:

1 Like

Congratulations its stories like these that keep people going including myself , there are so many benefits from giving up alcohol yet we always think of what we are missing. Thanks for putting it in some sort of perspective :grin:

5 Likes

Oh thank you Chris obviously im feeling quite proud of myself and blowing my own trumpet slightly but its also important to me to give others hope and possible inspiration that sobriety really is the way to go on so many levels, im happy you feel that way and im glad to be on this journey with you :blush:

I love the phrase “giving up one thing to have everything” :heart:

2 Likes

Thats amazing :heart:

1 Like

Thank you Laura :blush: :heart:

1 Like

You should be proud :clap:
Yes i like that phrase was said to me as “give up one thing to have everything or have one thing to give up everything”

1 Like

Thank you, yes its very true isnt it!

This is wonderful news Kelly! Way to go girl – so happy to see your health thriving in your sober journey! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you dear Jasmine, my love to you :heart: :people_hugging:

1 Like

Congratulations @Starlight14

I’m so happy for you!

1 Like

Thank you so much :blush: :heart:

1 Like

I can imagine how much hope that restored for you, as well as many other feelings. You are definitely proving that this can be done.

1 Like

Absolutely it can…as ive gone along i think one of the biggest things ive learned is that patience and perseverance get results…the realisation that nothing in sobriety is brought about quickly but if you can persevere the rewards are tenfold and actually real

1 Like

This is brilliant! Great work Kelly. What a relief it must be to get that all in order. :clap:t2::clap:t2::raised_hands:t2:🫶🏻:two_hearts:

1 Like