A bit of my inner fight

I don’t deserve a drink

4 Likes

You’re right.
You deserve love and peace. I’m here for you. :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

You do not need one either. Alcohol is a drug, not a reward.

6 Likes

Exactly.
Which as well reminds me that in Czech republic (possibly as well in other countries?) alcohol is so… normalised. You can meet people who drink beer on street or ladies drinking wine while they’re laughing. And that ‘normalised’ I don’t like honestly, because… man, alcohol is a drug. It’s not less or more dangerous, every drug IS dangerous.

5 Likes

I am half Slovak myself so you can always blame me for that…:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::poop::poop::poop::poop:

5 Likes

Yes! There is a reason a lot of Brits like to go to Czech Republic on stag dos. It must be really hard living that and abstaining.

@Eddie5 I hope you are OK. I used to see alcohol as a reward and as @SoberGuyUSA says it really isn’t.

3 Likes

Try rephrasing…I dont want a drink because xyz

3 Likes

Drinking is not a reward. We have to retrain our minds of this message. I would often say i deserve a drink because i had a hard day or i got all my shit done on time or a million other reasons. We do not “deserve” to slowly kill ourselves.
You dont need or want a drink!
If you do affirmations a positive way ro say that is either i want to be alcohol free or i want to be sober…
Welcome to this journey! :raised_hands:

7 Likes

Wow! So glad you said it. Just an hour ago my alcoholic brain was telling me I do deserve a drink I have 9 days sober today and I’m feeling good :+1: my thought was I can just have a little bit :sweat_smile: but I know better Thanks :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, so glad someone said it too! We have a festival in town this weekend and of course I was thinking just one because it’s summer and a festival- it is too normalized ugh. But that’s not the reason I’m not going to- the reason is I don’t need to! So, rewards what do you all do for yourself for hitting the days and feel accomplished? I’ve started to purchase a little more art supplies but how do you celebrate ice cream, a favorite water etc.

4 Likes

Great job on recognizing that the “just one” is not feasible - goes for you too @LALA222

The addict brain is going to be super strong at the beginning and i do think that the summer months make this harder but you are stronger than your addiction.

For milestone rewards, i personally have done the following … jewelry, movie or dinner out, the butterfly exhibit at a local garden, day of outdoor activities…etc.
I have turned to nightly vegan ice cream as a treat and also to curb my sugar cravings since giving up alcohol.
Do what fits best for you :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Really have been keeping myself busy cleaning my house :house: like a maniac I’ve neglected it while drinking my life away It feels great :+1: and being back to work is definitely helpful is so many ways Thank you :blush:

5 Likes

Hah! That’s okay, I will not shit on you. Don’t worry. :grin:

Hows it going today?

Fine, thanks for asking.
Trying to keep myself strong over the upcoming weekend.

2 Likes

Well…come here often…this place supported me a lot in the beginning

2 Likes