A familiar feeling

Woke up today feeling disappointed in myself that I couldn’t even go 2 days sober. My brain always seems to convince myself it’s ok to drink. This is usually the point where i’d delete the app and give up but I just gotta get this off my chest hit that reset button and try again.

9 Likes

It’s never a failure if you haven’t stopped trying.

4 Likes

It’s just a small step backwards from where I’m trying to go but I’ll get there eventually

2 Likes

@Dolse71 is right, it’s never a failure if you haven’t stopped trying. Did you learn to walk in one day? Of course not. Why should learning to live a sober life be any different?

Your goal is sobriety, and you will do anything, anything to make that happen. In my own case I threw my smartphone in the trash and got a flip phone - and that made all the difference. I have friends from group who have deleted every contact they ever had who was associated with their addiction. They’ve joined churches or political campaigns or environmental movements or hiking clubs or food banks or all of those things together just to get in a different space and a different crowd. The point is, there is a whole web of things in your life now that is built around your addiction. You know in your heart what they are. You will need to weave a different web, to channel yourself in different directions, to free yourself from your addiction. You can do it. You have to do it. Keep working it. Join a group. Keep reaching out.

We’re here with you man. You can do this.

6 Likes

You will. I had so many resets for weed I nearly broke the app but with never stopping to believe that one-day maybe it will happen. I think I’ve finally cracked it. Be strong. Next time pick up your phone not a drink.

3 Likes

Reaching out is probably the main thing I need to learn to do more. I’m so use to being alone and doing things myself that I struggle in silence because I’m to stubborn to say I need help or that I messed up.

2 Likes

I definitely will next time. Probably better to hop on here and post then scroll through social media

Ditto for me. I have a history of spinning myself into deep holes just because “I can do this I’m just not trying hard enough.” The perfectionism and isolation are a perfect blend for escaping through addiction. And the weird part is I’m so caught in that mindset of “I just need to work harder or be better” that I don’t even - know how to formulate a request for help, you know? I feel lost.

One thing I’ve found has been helping in the last few weeks is I start with emotion. I feel ____ (angry, afraid, lonely, tired, incapable, etc). I say that to someone. It could be my wife, or it could be here on the app - I’ve found so much support here, just starting a topic & reaching out.

Just that reaching out for empathy is becoming my first step. I usually find it calms me down, first, and also usually I get an idea of what I can do - something constructive for my next step. I think as addicts we’ve been running away and hiding from emotion for so long we’ve forgotten how powerful it is to start from emotion; we’ve forgotten that emotion actually has a social connection & survival function.

3 Likes

Hey I’m glad you stuck around,you know what to do ,so all you need to do now is put it into practice,ask ysself what you will do differently this time,that you didn’t do last time,when u get those urges or voices or feelings and emotions,get up do something go somewhere,call someone,come onto the app there’s always someone to Felice good advice.i wish u the best.

1 Like

If you’re trying to not drink, then an AA meeting is a good safe place to be. They sure have helped me.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re still here. I reset I think 4 or 5 times but it starts to sink in, so don’t beat yourself up.

2 Likes

@Mimezombie Happy you are still here, too (: I’ve heard before that relapse is a part of recovery as long as you keep trying. So, keep trying and don’t be too hard on yourself.

2 Likes

There is only 1 near me with like 10 people and I tried that a year ago. The only people there were on probation or transitioning from prison. It’s hard to share and open up to people there because they have to be. The town I’m in is really small unfortunately

1 Like

How far would you drive for a drink? That’s a tough one to consider, true. There are online AA and I think SMART meetings online too.

4 Likes

I’m just really hard on myself because I lasted almost 4 months a year ago for a relationship but when that ended I drank again. I’m disappointed that I can’t find the motivation to do it for myself

The 24 hour gas station is right across the street from me. I went last night for snacks and I always go straight for the beer coolers as a reflex whenever I go to the store. I catch myself doing it every time even tho it’s not why I go. It’s like I’m on autopilot when I enter the gas station.

I know I’m glad I decided to stay here. I’m just so hard on myself because it was only 2 days. I can do better than that.

1 Like

@Mimezombie Yeah, but you still did it and recognize that it’s something that needs to be done and that’s so important. I just found this app like 6 days ago but I’ve hit my own personal reset button a thousand times, sometimes not even making it out of day one, but I’m still here trying like yourself and everyone else and that is all that matters (:

Honestly that helps a lot to hear and same here I just found the app 2 days ago just because I wanted a tracker. Didn’t even realize it had a support group when I downloaded it. I Just need to be easier on myself without lowering my standards and push forward. Bringing myself down won’t help anything

1 Like

@Mimezombie I didn’t realize at first either, but so thankful that it doubles as a support group. And for sure, bringing yourself down will only hurt you. You will be okay. I post on here almost once a day, read other stories and look at my time when I feel weak. It helps more than I thought it would.

1 Like