A man with 4+ years of sobriety goes to a work party with hundreds of colleagues and an open bar, you won't believe what happens next!

I was running late as my last session at the annual conference I was attending went longer than expected. The farewell party was at the pool, which was perfect as the sun was past its apex and the near unbearable hot air was beginning to cool to a comfortable 85 degrees. As I slipped my sunnies from my left breast pocket of my dark blue Hawaiian shirt, I put them on and walked up to the sun deck. I was surrounded by colleagues, co-workers, vendors, salespersons and pool staff. I cut through the chatter and laughter and made my way to the bar. The bar tender leaned in to take my order. ā€œWaterā€ I said. ā€œJust a water?ā€ he asked, I confirmed my order with a nod. With water in hand, I made my way, through the smiles and greetings as warm as the air, to a couch in the shade. I spent the next hour sitting with friends, old and new, regaling one another with stories of our industry. We laughed that evening, we bonded that evening. One thing we did not do, was judge otherā€™s drink of choice.

4 or 5 years ago, I would had a different experience. I would have been afraid that everyone was judging me, wondering why I wasnā€™t drinking. That fear may have prevented me from going, or having fun, or worse, prevented me from being sober.

This was not my first rodeo, Iā€™ve been to many functions like this one and more, never has anyone asked why I wasnā€™t drinking. Not once have I ever felt judged for not drinking. Not once was my choice to be sober ever questioned. In fact, by being sober, you can easily spot the other folks that are sober, and you start to realize, thereā€™s more of us than we think.

Donā€™t ever let your fear of judgement stop you from enjoying yourself; most times the judgment we fear is all in our head. In short, no one cares!

Now, I must give a caveat to this this story; if you are in your first year of sobriety, I donā€™t recommend attending events like this without a solid program and plan, itā€™s just not worth it.

56 Likes

A great post. Thanks for the positive encouragement!

4 Likes

Beautiful story @HoofHearted

4 Likes

Truth!!! Thanks for being one of them, and such a good one at that. :sunglasses: Well said.

6 Likes

Itā€™s nice to read a post about someone confident in their sobriety going to an event. The ones about people in early sobriety doing the same when they have no business putting themselves in those situations happens too often. Thank you for showing others how it can be done successfully.

8 Likes

Oh I love this kinda post! Thank you. :pray: :smile:

I was in the big city for meetings last week, with my 1 year + of sobriety. Iā€™ve led a pretty sheltered life this past year though, and was awakened again at how ā€œeverywhereā€ it (wine, etc) is. Airports, hotel, restaurants. Chit chat during meetings. I didnā€™t feel tempted to drink at all, but did feel a bit anxious about how I would explain - while knowing that I shouldnā€™t feel that way. Knowing I donā€™t need to justify or explain not drinking. What anyone thinks of me is their business, not mine, right?

Still felt anxious. Deliberated and took the easy road out. Made plans to meet an old friend for coffee and a walk instead of joining coworkers at boozy dinner.

Your post helps me realize it wasnā€™t the easy road - but the wise one. In time, I guess, hey? Itā€™s early days when I think of the years of drinking that came before.

Thank you. And one day I am gonna rock that glass of water like you did! :laughing:
Onward :wink: :orange_heart:

10 Likes

Iā€™ve read somewhere that 20% of the people is not drinking alcohol at all, thatā€™s more than I thought it was. But I think we are only focussing on the people who do :blush:
Here in the Netherlands they did a test showing people a photo of a group of people. They asked what you noticed first.
Everyone pointed out the beer in the hand of a person but nobody mentioned the other guys finger in the nose of the girl next to him :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

Dammit, Dan!

images (4)

8 Likes

Very nice writing of how you feel/felt and how you see it. I feel the same way and have for most of my sobriety. Good many will get ā€˜thereā€™ with these same feelings/outlook. Some will neverā€¦ Your piece gives hope for all those wondering if they will everā€¦ and also warns of the caution that is ever so important!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

3 Likes

I am SHOCKED! So worth it clicking on this! :joy::+1: Great post indeed!

3 Likes

Thank you HoofHearted, very helpful to me. Iā€™m a year and a half in with a few stumbles, but the last four months have been spotless. I beginning to see the same experience is possible for me.

3 Likes

What an inspiring post.
Thank you so much @HoofHearted

2 Likes

Brilliant share, thank you for this! :ok_hand:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks for a brilliant share. And that clickbait phrasing you used for your topic:
NAILED IT :rofl::+1:
:squid:

2 Likes

Thank you @HoofHearted. Iā€™m not sure why but I have a sense of guilt around my sobriety. Not sure why I think anyone would care. I suppose itā€™s my own guilt around drinking.

1 Like