A million excuses

Hey!
So this is probably my 100th time saying I need to stop drinking. Usually the day after drinking heavily I get the anxiety…the oh shit I did it again and the regret. That moment I swear alcohol off for good, but then those feelings fade and I am like I can socially drink…I just have to cut my drinking down a bit ect
I make every excuse in the book but deep down I know I need to stop

8 Likes

So go all in on stopping. That’s what it’s gonna take. It’s fucking hard but so worth it.

6 Likes

This is all pretty normal. So stop making excuses now. Make a physical list of why to quit rather than a mental one of why to keep drinking. I am back on Day 3, after 100s of times. It doesn’t change. There is no magical day when you can begin to drink socially and not over do it. Trust yourself. Trust me.

Excuses don’t work. They just give you a reason to give up. Choosing to drink is way easier than choosing not to. The latter will make you feel a whole lot better mentally and physically.

5 Likes

I’m going to repost my response from your original thread. I’m glad you started your own, it will be much easier to deal with!

Hello MurrCA and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your motivation is high right now. Here’s a couple of threads to peruse that can help you get started on the path to sobriety.

Blessings on your house as you begin your journey. :pray:

5 Likes

Thanks for the response
Is there a specific app for this website or we can just use on browser?

There is an app. Sober Time

1 Like

Success isn’t moderation. Success is abstaining. Sobriety is the only happy ending for alcoholics. Sending you insight and strength :pray:

2 Likes

Two things I learned,

1. Everyone has huge anxiety right after quitting. Alcohol is an CNS depressant and then your body cant function without the alcohol so it sends you spiraling into a anxiety ridden hell.
  2. We all want the day where we can drink like normal human beings, socially drink and not have to face the repercussions. If it is possible it’s a long way away
6 Likes

For some of us, we lived this exact cycle. I did for 2 decades. This place helped me get to 89 days. Day 90 I had 2 options…I was going to drink and start the cycle over…or walk into AA. Numerous options out there to help stop the cycle.

5 Likes

What are you willing to do to get and stay sober? You have to make sobriety a priority. As the saying goes…sobriety has to come first so everything you love in life does not have to come last.

5 Likes

Wow. I’m In the exact same position. When I get sober I forget how depressed I was. I’m trying to put a plan in place to make and work a system.

2 Likes

It definetly is worth it :v:

1 Like

Yes or I say just drink wine and it will good. As I type this stuff out I know I have problem somewhat but in my head I’m like I can try and give drinking one more shot
Ugh

You’ve got it! A million excuses but not one single reason to drink. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll give the same advice my original sponsor gave me.

Some days NEVER drinking sounds impossible, so make that time smaller. Tell yourself “I’m not going to drink tonight/in the next 5 minutes/the next hour.” (Whatever timeslot works for you to be honest) Keep resetting that time when the clock is up.
He does this especially for parties. Took him a while to get to the point of being at a party with alcohol but hes been sober for 15 years now.

2 Likes

Has been said plenty of excuses but no reason to lift a drink . this world is full of drink adverts telling you how good it is if you went to the ends of the world the tribes there would have some kind of drink that is mind altering thats life .its everywere so getting a reason is hard but effort and desire and meetings will help . people today dont know how lucky they are with all this tech and internet . i was sober about 5 years before internet became a way of life , now as i said everyone can access sites dealing with loads of addictions and celbs taking your money for life stories and advice ??? mindset is important a good defence when the going gets hard and sober network so you can lift the phone not the drink wish you well

3 Likes

The day will come where we quit or we’ll die. Alcoholism is a progressive fatal disease and the only way to stop it is abstinence. We quit one way or another when we’ve had enough.

3 Likes

When I needed an excuse to drink, any excuse would do.

2 Likes

I hope for you that this will be your successful start. I could have written what you wrote because it is where I find myself AGAIN. I just got my 2021 calendar and jumped right to 1 year from today and wrote 1Year Sober Anniversary. There is no ability for me to drink just a little. I know this. You know this. Good luck.

Well done for reaching this point.

Some of us just aren’t built to moderate, and it only goes in one direction if you keep drinking.

I realised this myself a while ago and the cycle still persisted for a while after. Just get fed up of using my liver as a big wine filter. Keep going for your goal, educate yourself about the process of quitting, read books about it, make plans and coping mechanisms. These are all tools to help you. It’s not like we’re gonna wake up one day and just suddenly not fancy an addictive drug anymore.

I say all this like I’m a veteran of sobriety… I’m not, I’m a veteran of the cycle. Let’s break free of this rubbish!!

3 Likes