A rant about alcohol

I always just assumed that I wasnt an actual alcoholic because I dont drink that often(once or twice a month) but when I do, I binge and end up anxious for DAYS.
It feels shitty to me that I’ve never been able to moderate myself.
So many times I’ve gone a month or two then drank BECAUSE I’ve gone that month or two.
I would like to quit forever.
I would love to quit forever.
I will quit forever.
I’ve never really looked at it like an addiction and dont really even know that much about the addictive mind and how its different. I have a lot to learn as far as that goes.
Looking forward I want to say, I dont drink anymore.
If its offered I want to say, “no thanks, i dont drink anymore.”
I’m sober and I love being sober. It will never matter how much time I’ve got, drinking will ALWAYS feel the same and I need to remind myself of that everyday.
I am capable.
Any words of wisdom or advice?

5 Likes

I’m glad I can use this app as an outlet

1 Like

Yes, focus on not drinking today, because today, this present moment, is all we have. I will not drink today. :heart:

1 Like

I will not drink today.

3 Likes

Hi Dancingwheel, welcome! It’s nice to meet you and I can hear you - so many of us have been in that spot.

A very similar question came up recently in another thread & I thought rather than writing out a response that would be very similar I might just link here so you can read it over yourself:

Welcome Dancingwheel & remember: you’re a good person who has found something that to you is a problem. You have decided you want to make some choices. You can choose to do no drinking today, and the next day, and the next day. You can say “I have decided not to drink”. It doesn’t have to be more or less than that: a decision to not drink.

1 Like

Thanks for the support.
I guess its only human to look into the future. To want to see the days add up.
I’m learning more and more that it IS just one day at a time.

1 Like

Hey Dancingwheel - welcome, or welcome back! I recommend checking in daily on the Checking in Daily thread. It helps us keep accountable to ourselves and each other, and besides - you’ll meet a great bunch of people to support and be supported by, just by showing up!

Today is definitely a good day not to drink. :wink: :orange_heart:

Thank you!

1 Like

This app has helped me a lot too. I’m a recovering heroin addict. Been clean 7 months and 22 days. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I thank god I was able to avoid the needle. I went from sniffing oxy to sniffing heroin. A serious car accident brought my addiction to light. I relapsed multiple times before finding this app and usibg a tracker to track my progress. I have an addiction coach I talk to twice a week and see a very good addiction doctor monthly. It took a lot to admit I had a problem. I thought I could just stop. Once you start building up clean time it does get a little easier to say no. Doesn’t matter your DOC, it’s all the same. It’s a mind f$@k. You have to re program your brain to say no. It’s not easy

1 Like

It is hard.
I think because I dont drink often at all I feel like quitting could essentially take little to no work, I can go a month no problem it’s just, saying no when it appears in my life. That’s just an excuse I guess and It is going to be hard but I’m willing to rewire myself to say no, and not be back in this situation a million more times.
Congrats on your 7 months, that’s amazing!

Thanks it wasnt easy, but I thank god for the support I receive, and helping others by giving support.

1 Like