A year in the life

One year sober and it’s not like I imagined it would be. I guess no one promised me fast cars and a quiet cabin in the hills or anything beyond serenity for that matter.

All the better. I’d likely have wrapped the car around a tree and languished in isolation anyway. :joy: I didn’t know what I really wanted other than to be free from the chain of addiction.

Somewhere out there @MandiH is asking what change we notice most. Lately for me it’s compassion though it feels like it still doesn’t come out right often enough.

It’s said in my rooms, “We will love you until you can love your self.” That sounded strange, feeling “me” was the only thing I loved though for some reason I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror.

Following the leader, doing as they did, I found wholesale change. Respecting the traditions I don’t often do details here, but I am an AA and worked/work the steps. It’s working for me.

From that, the day I finally empathized with the man in the mirror broke down a barrier I didn’t know was there. I was no longer worried about him. I found a profound love again for the struggles and successes of the people around me.

They had loved me until I could love others again. And that was nothing short of a miracle.

Now any material concerns I have are blessings I have to pass the time. Frankly I still suck at knowing what to do with them, but they don’t trouble me or move me to drink. They work out with time if I do my part. As @siand pointed out to me recently, perhaps getting more comfortable in the moment. And isn’t that what we strive for?

I’m more interested in how you’re doing and only want it to be well. I still have an awkward way of showing it sometimes, if outwardly at all. Know that you are what moves me most deeply.

If you’re reading this, you have kept me sober and are teaching me how to live a better life. And for that I thank you. :v: :heart:

42 Likes

Beautiful post and very inspiring. Congratulations and great work on your part to get to this huge milestone. Keep it going and enjoy this day!

2 Likes

Yes Eke!!! I love it, congratulations my friend! Loving someone until they can love themselves is something I really do understand, glad you experienced that. :heart: Hope you do something fun to celebrate

6 Likes

Congratulations! And thank you! Thank you for being supportive, offering your unbiased point if view and thank you for being awesome. You are an inspiration. :blush:

giphy%20(5)

9 Likes

Congratulations @Eke, the first year is a weird one, but it continues to evolve! X

3 Likes

So very happy for you. Congratulations on your year and keep moving forward.

2 Likes

well done best wishes from this old Scotsman

3 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada:
Love to read you here on this forum, thank you for being around! :heart:

9 Likes

Beautiful post Eke :heart: So awesome to see another one of us reaching one year of sobriety :partying_face::icecream:

2 Likes

congratulations!!! :smile:

2 Likes

@Eke !!! I’m so delighted when people I have grown to know and care about reach milestones. It motivates me and helps me realise that I can keep on keeping on. Thank you for being here and being sober and for sharing your recovery with us. And your 1 year chip looks wicked badass. :revolving_hearts::fire::bird:

4 Likes

Good Work @Eke :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Such a beautiful post, @eke.

Walking this road with you is such a pleasure. Congratulations, my friend!!!;

2 Likes

Nice one @Eke!!! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hmm…wow…well…this made me tear up a bit. What a beautiful post❤️ congratulations on this amazing milestone. Your compassion and wisdom are inspiring. Your self reflection is deep and nuanced and something I strive for. Thank you for this post, and for being here, and being sober, and just for existing. So glad to know you in here❤️

3 Likes

Keep it going… Congratulations :tada:
#sobrietyrocks :pray:

2 Likes

From this

To making coffee for others…

Congrats man.

7 Likes

Congratulations @Eke!

2 Likes

You are amazing @Eke. I love and truly appreciate your reflections and insight, as well as all of the support you offer me and everyone else.

And isn’t it wonderful when we get those moments of serenity, of being here now and can just appreciate them?

I’m so glad you’re here to share your journey with us. Here’s to another 24 :footprints::pray::sparkling_heart:

Paws and snuffles from Lady too :paw_prints:

3 Likes

Thank you for persevering! I think it’s true to an extent that sobriety is a gift, but still we are the ones who get up each day and decide to stay sober and do the work needed that day to meet that goal.

Congrats!

3 Likes