Aa meetings and a higher power question

Ive been reading that you must believe in a higher power and i struggle with that internally. I would love for it to exist but the logical side of my brain has an issue with religious inconsistencies. Anyone go through the program with the same thoughts? How did you cope with it and did you succeed?

2 Likes

A higher power is spiritual not religious. My higher power changes depending on my situation. It can be the energy of the people in a meeting or nature if I’m out walking. It’s what ever you want it to be.

6 Likes

“higher power” can mean whatever feels right to you. For some it is God and yes thisbterm is often used in AA meetings. However, for others it may be a guardian, or an angel guide, and for others it is simply a higher power within yourself that you can resonate with. Dont let the words scare you away, the program is so rich with suppprt, fellowship and understanding. It is actually very common to hear your question from members in AA…and they always seem to evolve into something meaningful to each person :heart::heart::heart: Any ways, this is my opinion…there are many many wiser people on this forum who can guide you better:-)

1 Like

I just imagined it was just a god figure. But i think thats something i can work with. I think its just nerves for my first meeting on Friday. Ive been clean since Sunday but i wont have a chance to attend till Friday and i think im just worrying myself over nothing

2 Likes

I was sooooo nervous… I have only been to 2 meetings! But it was wonderful. So accepting, no judgment. You will finally have a place where you can fully engage in a conversation and just know that they get you. I hope you go!

Edit: Ok that made me sound like an AA pusher! You do you!

That was an obstacle to me as well, especially in the books & literature with “God” appearing so frequently (no matter how many times they modified it to “God, as I understood Him”). I’m a recovering Catholic so God comes with baggage (as does so much in my life…)

I came to substitute “Gift of Desperation” for God much of the time, though I used “Group of Drunks” when I did steps such as 2 (Came to believe…) and 3 (Made a decision to turn my will over…) In any case, all you need is to believe in something greater than yourself.

That being said, I truly believe that AA has been key in keeping me sober the past 13 months so by all means go. You’ll find many there who have had (still have) issues with God and advice on finding the definition of Higher Power that works for you.

2 Likes

Its giving me so much stress and anxiety. Ive never really fit in anywhere and being so open and exposed is so frightening. But I want to go and need to go. Friday nights is the night my binge drinking begins and i feel like if i dont go ill just hit the bars. I Havent gotten sober over the fear of loneliness. Like if i dont have the bars ill have no one.

1 Like

Its so important i do for those reasons. I drank because i felt alone. I need the support and thank you so much!!!

2 Likes

I’m with you. As an introvert with trust issues, I’m familiar with fear of not fitting in, fear of being judged, fear of failure or not being good enough. But going was essential to recovery: “the only way out is through”.

You might also try Recovery Dharma, a Buddhist-based recovery program (includes alcohol, drugs, process addiction, abuse, etc.) that meet online and in some cities in person. Each meeting includes a 20 minute guided meditation, a short reading, and the option to share (but sharing isn’t required). https://recoverydharma.online/?fbclid=IwAR3u6h-6H71eJ8AN-78BkuhEda6VQJ2A1PcMbx67MbphheU1x-xLGewtonk

1 Like

Here is the free pdf to the Recovery Dharma text. See page 55 for their thoughts on overcoming isolation and creating connection with others.

3 Likes

Just go with it. You don’t have to believe in a God or anything, just believe that you can’t do this on your own and that there is maybe SOMETHING out there that can give you strength and guidance. I say my prayers to God but I don’t really believe in a Judeo-Christian God. I don’t know what my God is but I know he/she has helped me through some pretty tough days.

I think the worst thing you can do (based on my OWN experiences) is to try and force a defined higher power on yourself. Just go with it and maybe in time all will be revealed.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

5 Likes

were did you read this not a AA must , just the desire to stop drinking thats all you need ?

you wont know how the water is until you dip your feet in , your only a few days sober so try and speak to people who have had the same thoughts as you and are using AA to stay sober,
wish you well .

2 Likes

I was just reading into the second step and having some confusion

2nd step CAME TO BELIEVE NOT YOU MUST ? Do you have a sponsor have you a big book? a sponsor will help you with the confusion . plenty off atheists have successful achieved long time sobriety , as said plenty of other programs which dont mention god . wish you well

3 Likes

That was my question. My first meeting is Friday. I unfortunatly dont have time to go till then and ive ordered materials.

2 Likes

They will help you out tomorrow. I am proud of you for taking a chance for yourself and noting that Fridays are your day u need help! If you need to tomorrow, make sure you reach out BEFORE you pick up the next drink and man oh man, imagine how amazing your Sat am will be this weekend. Not hungover and feeling good :facepunch:

1 Like

Thanks so much. Just wanna get it over with. I feel like that will be my real test

I never did go through the 12 steps. But i can tell you that I used to be an atheist. I stayed sober as an atheist for about 3 months. That was the best I could do. I also had trouble with the logical inconsistencies in the bible. But i had, for lack of a better word, a personal revelation. After i started going to church, I have stayed sober from meth and heroin for about 470 days.

All i know is that i had been trying to get and stay sober for years, but my reasons and methods never worked or lasted. But believing in God did.

4 Likes

This is a common question (and sticking point) for a lot of people pondering AA. A couple old threads listed under the AA tag have s’more reflections you might find useful:

https://talkingsober.com/tag/alcoholics-anonymous

5 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like