AA Meetings... Yay or nay?

I am new to this… sort of. I have attempted to get sober multiple times and I always seem to find some sort of reason or excuse to drink again.

I am curious about AA meetings and if you guys like them/dis like them and why. Also, do you believe they are necessary for recovery and why?
Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I asked this question 3 weeks ago and based on the overwhelming responses I joined AA…so happy I did. Nothing quite compares to having like-minded, non-judgmental people welcoming you just the way you are and ready to help you win this battle. My vote is join. There are a ton of resources and you can try as many as you needResources for our recovery

9 Likes

I liked them. You meet all kinds of different people at those meetings and it really is just a safe place where no one is judging you because we’re all here for the same reasons. :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it :heart:

Meetings really helped me with the mental struggle of wanting to use especially early on. Definitly recommend

1 Like

Welcome @KPS! This is a super common question with lots of great answers. Maybe try the search tool (magnifying glass in upper right) and search for “meetings” etc?

I went after reading some posts here and I’m still a big fan. 2.5 years sober now.

2 Likes

Welcome!! I don’t believe they are necessary for recovery, but I do think they can be a very solid tool for sobriety and recovery. I know many people who attend AA and have found it invaluable … In fact, many credit attending AA for their sobriety. All that said, I have never been to a meeting (AA or otherwise)…when I first started my journey the only meeting for many miles was attended by my boss. Uh, no. :blush: I guess I took the long route, but despite that I am now coming up on 4 years sober after drinking for 40+ years.

I know it is hard and we easily fall back into old ways, especially when stressed. There are so many programs and resources available to us all. Books, meetings, podcasts, exercise, meditation, medication, and so on. The key in my mind is finding what works for YOU…cuz what works for me, might not be what works for you. :hugs:

6 Likes

I like the 2 AA meetings I attend weekly. They’re woman only which makes a difference for me especially while navigating my relationship sober. I’ve never attended a mixed meeting and probably never will. I’ve also made some lifelong friendships at these meetings. From my experience, not everyone thinks they help but I think it’s all about finding the right fit for you. Try it. You’ve got nothing to lose.

3 Likes

I personally don’t have anything to do with AA. The higher power stuff frankly creeps me out and I have managed to go over a year so far on my own. It just doesn’t seem necessary.

Necessary? I dunno. I know for me the 12 steps and meetings have kept me sober for well over 3 years. Not only has AA helped with my drinking and drugging but has given me a blueprint to pretty much all of my problems

6 Likes

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. I’ve been attending AA meetings for 2 years now and highly recommend giving it a try. There are a couple of essential things that you get from joining a support group like AA: People and Process.

As others have said, a huge benefit is the people. It is invaluable to have a community of others who share similar struggles and experiences, are welcoming and non-judgmental, and can offer advice and support. There is a lot of sobriety in the rooms of AA and so a lot of great people to help guide you in your journey. Meetings can be hit or miss so try a lot of different ones to find people you are comfortable with and who you identify with. As most are online, it is easier than ever to “shop around” for a meeting that is right for you.

Another great thing about AA is having a process for recovery: the 12 Steps, sponsors, books and online resources, etc. This means you can learn standing on the backs of those who went before you. I found working the Steps incredibly helpful, especially Step 4 in identifying the root issues behind my drinking.

I agree with others about the God thing in AA, and some meetings are better than others on this. But don’t let that keep you from dipping a toe in and giving it a go.

Another option is Recovery Dharma, a Buddhist-based approach to recovery. It has a rich community as well and also has a structured inquiry process to addressing recovery from addiction. Their book is free online, and there are 25 online meetings each week plus another 200 local meetings offered online worldwide that you can attend if you’d like to try them out as well. https://recoverydharma.online/?fbclid=IwAR3u6h-6H71eJ8AN-78BkuhEda6VQJ2A1PcMbx67MbphheU1x-xLGewtonk

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

When i got sober there wasnt any other place to go it saved my life kept me sober for over 34 years so cant be bad happy days

6 Likes